Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Chiltern Route (BETA)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    S.W.WALES
    Posts
    2,407

    Default Chiltern Route (BETA)

    11 files on ukts, 1950's/1960's era route release.

    https://members.uktrainsim.com//file...m_fileid=39520

    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,172

    Default

    Thanks for the heads up Mike but 11 files for a beta, think I will pass on that one. Assume it has used custom painted terrain in TSRE which sadly bloats the file size. Reading on the twaddle forum looks like they even had a struggle getting it uploaded! God knows what the installed route size is, then!
    Vern.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Mike but 11 files for a beta, think I will pass on that one. Assume it has used custom painted terrain in TSRE which sadly bloats the file size. Reading on the twaddle forum looks like they even had a struggle getting it uploaded! God knows what the installed route size is, then!
    Such a negative review without even having seen the route! The eleven files suite downloading at the site on which it is hosted. The route itself is large in size with great detail. Try it! "twaddle forum"?, please.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,712

    Default

    Does it come with any activities and/or a stock pack?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Does it come with any activities and/or a stock pack?
    There are two Stock Packs included. One consists of stock created or modified by DocMartin specifically for the route. The other consists of stock which is available for download from UKTS but which the authors have agreed can be included in the download.

    There are 25 activities included. Two can be run with the stock included in the route. The others require additional downloads from UKTS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    S.W.WALES
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Mike but 11 files for a beta, think I will pass on that one. Assume it has used custom painted terrain in TSRE which sadly bloats the file size. Reading on the twaddle forum looks like they even had a struggle getting it uploaded! God knows what the installed route size is, then!
    It's not very good Vern, i had it installed for all of 30 mins and most of what i saw was bare terrain with a few buildings dotted around, plus stations.

    Complete waste of my time downloading and installing it all. Particularly as although i am paying for premium downloads, the speeds are diabolical. Nothing like what i get on the file library here for first class, or the rest of the net.

    Uktwaddlesim strikes again, buddy.

    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dforrestc View Post
    Such a negative review without even having seen the route! The eleven files suite downloading at the site on which it is hosted. The route itself is large in size with great detail. Try it! "twaddle forum"?, please.
    No offence intended - I am the last person to criticise anyone's freeware efforts. My comments were aimed at what appears to be a lack of optimisation and use of TSRE custom painting which has led to such a massive file size. Best of luck to those who do decide to try it though think I will be guided by the comments posted by Mike subsequent to mine.
    Vern.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))
    Posts
    2,124

    Default

    Firstly,I have great admiration for those who build routes,something which is far beyond my capabilities,so this is not negative criticism (although I am sure there are those who will think it is) but a thought that in everything,always remember the KISS principle.
    When I first read about this route,I was really pleased,it would be an opportunity to drive in MSTS trains I had driven in real life i.e the Northolt to Calvert Binliner and waste trains.
    However,just like Topsy it just grew and it's complexity and size really makes it a no go for me.
    For me,Marylebone to the Banbury area on the GW/GC joint and Leicester on the GC would have been ideal.
    Not a rant,just an observation.Not for me,I am afraid.Dives into Anderson shelter.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    It's not very good Vern, i had it installed for all of 30 mins and most of what i saw was bare terrain with a few buildings dotted around, plus stations.
    Complete waste of my time downloading and installing it all.
    That makes it a waste of anyone's time in my book Route building is about building a believable environment through which a Railway runs ....NOT laying miles of track with no scenery. There are a few route builders with a large fan base who think that's just fine BUT they have to respect the opinions of those who don't? After all anyone's free to download and install stuff but Fan Boy reviews are about as much use as t*ts to a chicken.

    Also in response to the answer to my first question. IF you go to the bother of making a stock pack for a route it seems rather pointless to only use that stock in 8% of the included activities?

    Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Uktwaddlesim strikes again, buddy.
    Mike.
    There's a reason most of the UK "old school" MSTS supporters post here. https://tsforum.forumotion.net/ was set up because of the poor moderating on UKTS but sadly 90? 95% of the UKTS community "jumped ship" for Railworks and much of the best creative talent was lost to that Sim. From what I read (on the few occasions I bother) of the RW/RS/TS20XX forums the stifling of justified criticism is still alive and well over there? I stand to be corrected, although I have zero interest in the new Sims.

    The best way to back up any criticism is with a few screenshots of sections of the ROUTE I underline that because so many screenshots purporting to be of a route are actually grabs of X or Y's favourite train models that just happen to have been grabbed on a route but actually show ZIP of the route itself?

    In the posts above David describes the route as highly detailed which is in direct opposition to Mike's criticism above Reviews are always subjective but It either has depth of scenery or it doesn't? ...and by depth of scenery I mean for the ENTIRE route.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Firstly,I have great admiration for those who build routes,something which is far beyond my capabilities,so this is not negative criticism (although I am sure there are those who will think it is) but a thought that in everything,always remember the KISS principle.
    When I first read about this route,I was really pleased,it would be an opportunity to drive in MSTS trains I had driven in real life i.e the Northolt to Calvert Binliner and waste trains.
    However,just like Topsy it just grew and it's complexity and size really makes it a no go for me.
    For me,Marylebone to the Banbury area on the GW/GC joint and Leicester on the GC would have been ideal.
    Not a rant,just an observation.Not for me,I am afraid.Dives into Anderson shelter.
    As an aside, scary to recall my last trip over any part of the old GC was when the Class 115 DMU's were operating out of Marylebone!

    Also walked much of the old trackbed between Brackley and Willoughby including Catesby Tunnel though that was done on my 100cc Suzuki two stroke motorcycle. Who would have thought that foreshadowed the proposed new use for the structure...

    There are some really good optimised routes for MSTS, for example Plymouth to Penzance (and branches) which has loads of custom structures and is well detailed throughout - I can't get enough of it.

    As regards Chiltern Line, well there is always the Just Trains version for DTG TS, though a tad too modern for my tastes maybe.
    Vern.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •