Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Southern railroad in the 1980s

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey (NJ)
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sburr View Post
    He contacted me via PM about my Fowler SD45s, offered to make it worth my while if I traded with him. Turned it down.
    I got the same thing Steve a few days ago, I just never replied to it because I don't play that game.
    - Mark -

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    Past events...I get that..after 20 years of content creation, running several successful sites of my own, and collaboration on countless projects done by others, I agree that there is a lot of animosity towards each other by certain folks here. The first thing that happens is production of content stops..then starts again when the content criticism begins. This pattern has played out amongst a lot of us over the last 20 years that msts has been with us. There is, however a point at which the hassle and stress of this crap goes from being a simple matter of words or ridicule to behavior that is criminal. We all know what happened back in 2015 when a certain idiot crossed that line. A LOT of people in this hobby were affected, either by association or direct involvement. In 20 years, I have had a million attaboys and a relatively small amount of "yucks" for my work..I have produced nothing public since 2015, but privately, the amount of work I've done surpasses what I did publicly before 2015. It won't ever see the light of day simply because of the behavior discussed in this thread. The loser in this deal is not me, but the community as a whole.
    Just one question for you Frank.

    How do you think that post makes the vast majority of the community who never tried to harm anyone feel?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnwfan View Post
    I will chime in here to to make a point with latest posts. I have been trying my hardest to get buildings built for a route that might possibly will be released at some point but when the community says basically " do it your self " that was a automatic turn off ! I have over 500 miles of main line track sitting empty of buildings because of a community that can not be bothered to help each other out. So for now the route will stay in my hands . Its a shame that this community is becoming a ghost town for community willingness other then a few of your closest friends that you met way back when this community could help each other out. With the lack of support this is why my route or any other content I choose to do will stay private.
    This wasn't ment to be a vent but I’ve been working on this route for a few years off and on .I want to release it as we’re desperately in need of some new freeware content, I’ve talked to a bunch of people behind the scenes asking for help as I don’t know how to make buildings and got nowhere, please if anyone would be willing to assist me with making buildings or teaching how to I’d be grateful, would definitely share the route when it was done, I believed in the concept of community involvement and just feel really frustrated by the lack of assistance as of late when reaching out for help.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Yes, how cool to admit someone is out there making money off of derivative works. I guess when more vendors turn into clubhouses, we know where to dispatch the angry pitchfork brigade.
    4 pages deep now, yet this main point here seems to have been completely glossed over.

    'The more things change the more they stay the same...'
    -Mike

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mword77 View Post
    4 pages deep now, yet this main point here seems to have been completely glossed over.

    'The more things change the more they stay the same...'
    Inevitable when all the "Barrack Room Lawyers" make MASSIVE assumptions about a situation and then start sounding off about it

    Have to say they're really nice looking models and skins whoever did them but Southern not of interest to me.

    As for people doing stuff for free? Well there might not be too many new downloads but then maybe that's because there are few left actually building new models and some of us with stuff we'd like to upload are reluctant to do so because of ludicrous "cut and paste" EULA's that the "Barrack Room Lawyers" are just itching to point out you may have breached.

    It seems obvious to me that folk who built stuff for free and uploaded it did so because they wanted to share it. They may have cut and paste an EULA to prevent anyone using their work for financial gain, but because many read me's demand permission and yet the author is now uncontactable folk are reluctant to share stuff. I had a situation over on UKTS where the site owner refused to let a modification to a reskin be used because we could not contact the author. Luckily someone else made a new model and we were able to substitute that. When the author of the ORIGINAL model popped back onto UKTS after some time away he was delighted that we'd wanted to use his model and said of course anyone can use my models, that's what I uploaded them for.

    Many people here have helped me with advice, files, feedback and sadly that's also lead to discussions about inability to get permission to share work.

    Trainsimulations and SLI both GAIN from allowing reskins. The policy is clear. The only thing that's NOT up for sharing is the original shape file? Even that is modified by FA's on many models. Why anyone should consider that someone else's artwork on a reskin becomes SLI/TS's property is frankly a bizarre suggestion? They're making money with the original and other folk's FREEWARE is bringing them extra sales for zero effort?

    There's only ONE payware vendor who's "taken their ball home" to stop you playing..... and we all know (?) who caused that.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Just one question for you Frank.

    How do you think that post makes the vast majority of the community who never tried to harm anyone feel?
    I really don't care about that any more. I have given enough to this hobby and don't have to justify my reasons for not participating or providing content anymore. It just Chafs my butt when I hear someone bash or pester a provider because he doesn't wish to do work any more. And that goes for payware folks who are done too. They have their reasons as I have mine. Thats good enough..if it's not, then too bad. I have been pestered repeatedly for Paul Fowler's files. I gave my word about their safekeeping and am under a contracted promise not to re-open GM&O Simulations...or redistribute the files. Do not ask any more please!
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    I really don't care about that any more. I have given enough to this hobby and don't have to justify my reasons for not participating or providing content anymore. It just Chafs my butt when I hear someone bash or pester a provider because he doesn't wish to do work any more. And that goes for payware folks who are done too. They have their reasons as I have mine. Thats good enough..if it's not, then too bad. I have been pestered repeatedly for Paul Fowler's files. I gave my word about their safekeeping and am under a contracted promise not to re-open GM&O Simulations...or redistribute the files. Do not ask any more please!

    I struggle to understand your reasoning Frank? If,as you say you no longer want to provide or share content anymore why would you even want to post here? You're obviously entitled to do what you want. This is just a hobby after all? But I fail to understand your motives for your last two posts ?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Somewhere south...
    Posts
    2,437

    Default

    Thats enough..... Threads now closed....
    Dave Edwards


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •