Thread: Bizarre "Time to choose" email from N3V

Default Bizarre "Time to choose" email from N3V

Did anyone get this weird ultimatum-ish email yesterday?

IT'S TIME TO CHOOSE

We've made this really quick and easy. Choose how to access Trainz or click unsubscribe to say goodbye to Trainz forever.
    It then offers Trainz Plus, Trainz on iOS, TANE or unsubscribing.

As someone who bought the very original release (Community Edition) back in 2001, has Trainz Driver 2 on iOS already, and isn't that interested another new sim right now, I'm not sure what to make of this (the last full Trainz product I bought was 2010). It sounds like one's SO demanding you either marry them or they're leaving you.

Nope, I haven't gotten it. That's rather harsh even for N3V. And considering their latest product is TRS2019, it feels odd not to mention that one.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

There are some spam emails circulating at present. In the last two days I've had one purporting to be from Netflix and another from the web host I was formerly using, inviting me to submit updated bank details. Maybe this is similar.
    Vern.

It's legit, all the links point to the Trainzportal.

That's odd then. I may have had the email but I tend to delete most of N3V's mailshots as marketing fluff.

I've just had a quick look at the N3V forum and no-one is saying anything over there regarding an ultimatum.

As SD40-2 pointed out, TRS19 is the current main version, in one of its several guises. Even if you unsubscribed from the newsletter you can still find out what is going on with the game by visiting their site and forum. So more than a little odd, then.
    Vern.

I don't think it's an actual ultimatum so much as confusingly phrased as one. Full text:

IT'S TIME TO CHOOSE

We've made this really quick and easy. Choose how to access Trainz or click unsubscribe to say goodbye to Trainz forever.

OPTION 1
    TRAINZ FREE TRIAL ON PC/MAC
    Get the latest version of Trainz Free for a Month.
    CODE: TRAINZPLUSFREE

OPTION 2
    TRAINZ FREE ON iOS
    Get Trainz Driver 2 or Trainz Sim 2 FREE
    The best rated train sim apps on the App Store.
    TRAINZ FREE ON IOS

OPTION 3
    BUY TRAINZ FOR $2.00
    Trainz A New Era is discounted on the Steam Store
    For just USD$2.00 grab your copy of T:ANE. There's no catch, just one crazy low price to encourage everyone to upgrade!
    BUY TRAINZ FOR $2.00

OPTION 4
    REMOVE YOUR EMAIL FROM OUR LIST
    If you never want to hear from N3V Games ever again, please click the link below.
    The way the intro is phrased, along with option 3, makes it sound like you have to pick something or it's game over, the relationship is severed. As it stands, as an existing customer (albeit one who's been away a while, I do play the iOS version on occasion and there were still multiplayer sessions to join a month ago!) I find their message just confusing and a little uncomfortable.

I'm out of the loop (pun not intended) as the last N3V product I bought was TRS2010. I saw TANE was not well received so I stayed away; I have no clue about Trainz Plus or what the difference between TRS2019 and TANE even is. I have been reading what Sean and Phil are discussing about Trainz and am interested to see what Sean builds and discovers about the industries and portals.

It means that by clicking "unsubscribe" you say goodbye to N3V emails forever.....i.e., you say goodbye to Trainz emails forever.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Originally posted by seagoon

It means that by clicking "unsubscribe" you say goodbye to N3V emails forever.....i.e., you say goodbye to Trainz emails forever.
    Bruce is correct, I did this about 2 months ago from memory with an rather odd email and process to unsubscribe from email newsletters only. All emails have stopped but my N3V Games account is still active and I can still log in to re-download Trainz 2019 North America if I wish to etc.

I got frustrated with Trainz 2019 North America and uninstalled due to poor performance and because it kept asking to install routes and files I did not want, even when I disabled the notice in options, that and a lot of my Jointed Rail and RRMods locos are no longer compatible.
    Whether things have improved with the new patch remains to be seen.

Cheers

James

I opted to unsubscribe. They really need to rethink the way they are conducting business.

Not sure when this email went through but I don't recall seeing it. 2010 was the 1st version of Trainz I got out of curiosity and it never worked well on an older system of mine. Still got all the emails in fact it was an email of a sale that finally got me to bite this year.

Since I purchased 2019 North America I have had no issues. An odd crash when overloading the system and a game freeze (likely my end). There are a couple of odd bugs but it hasn't asked me to download routes I don't want etc. I don't have any of the extra plans and only have paid the original 15 bucks or whatever I got it on sale for.

Happily building and running my own route, and downloading and using some amazing content.

Anyways glad I listened to my gut instinct on this one. The worse that would of happened would be I'd be out 15 bucks and so far I got my money worth and that value is only increasing and multiplying as days go by.

Thanks

Sean