Thread: Resuming Activity From Save, Locomotive Wheelslip and Power Reduction Occurs!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Resuming Activity From Save, Locomotive Wheelslip and Power Reduction Occurs!

On resuming a saved activity, particularly for saves while train is crawling up hill and locomotives are at maximum throttle, often get warning for wheelslip and locomotive power being reduced! The train usually stalls at that point despite deploying sand to aid traction.

Now, prior to the saved activities, the train was managing to move along (often without sand being deployed) with no issues.

It appears that the slight delay on resuming the activity from a save causes Open Rails to decide that wheelslip must now occur and power must be reduced!?

So, not sure if this a "bug", or what? But it is annoying to have this wheelslip/power reduction/train stall occur on many occasions after resuming an otherwise perfecting running activity!?

Ideas?

An update.

There is also the occasional over speed and wheel slip warning message appearing while actually running some activities where the train is not necessarily running at full throttle, and might only be running on relatively flat terrain! But in these cases, the warnings seem to appear after data is being transferred from my HDD. There is usually a noticeable slight stuttering to the video display while data is being transferred.

Maybe because of the relatively slow transfer of data from my HDD is triggering these warning messages, as Open Rails seems to think there is now some "problem" with the train(?)

A note that MSTS has been installed on a separate HDD to that of my OS HDD. But Open Rails is installed on my OS HDD. Maybe that is why there is a slight delay to transfer of data?

Using SSD's instead of HDD's should improve data transfer rate, but I'm not in a position to upgrade just yet.

External HDD's on a USB interface transfer data 100 times slower than a typical spinning internal HD.
    The USB transfer rate may be closer to 1000 times slower than an internal SSHD.
    SSHD's are reasonably priced these days.
    You will experience a performance boost if the SSHD is internally. Nada if on a USB connection.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 04-22-2020 at 08:44 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Using SSD's instead of HDD's should improve data transfer rate, but I'm not in a position to upgrade just yet.
    Two things...
    Running OR with routes, trainsets, etc. on the same SSD will improve performance.
    The latest Unstable and MG versions of OR start in Pause mode, giving the sim time to "catch-up" to the physics from the save ( don't know enough about coding to explain it more elegantly ). Earlier versions and the last stable version ( 1.3.31 or something? ) opened from a save on-the-fly...lots of wheelslip.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I'll probably get internal SSD's eventually, thanks Vince.

Thanks Gerry.

That is very useful information!

So it seems that there is some sort of wheelslip "bug" with earlier versions of Open Rails when trying to resume activities.

I think I'll have a look at these later and alternative versions of Open Rails and see how things go!

Tried the "unstable" version of Open Rails, and also tried the "MG" version, but neither recognizes the activity saves from Open Rails 1.3.1! So this means for any activities that on resuming results in wheelslips, and tractive effort reductions with trains (eventually) stalling, these activities will now have to be re-run from the start!

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Tried the "unstable" version of Open Rails, and also tried the "MG" version, but neither recognizes the activity saves from Open Rails 1.3.1! So this means for any activities that on resuming results in wheelslips, and tractive effort reductions with trains (eventually) stalling, these activities will now have to be re-run from the start!
    Yep, too many changes in the code to accommodate saves from earlier versions, sometimes if the versions are close enough you can resume from an earlier save, there is a warning to not report errors...just ignore it -- the activity will either resume or not.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.