Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Resuming Activity From Save, Locomotive Wheelslip and Power Reduction Occurs!

Another crash, this time for same activity as last time running under OR "MG" this time!!?? And again while in trackside view.

I'll try running this activity under "stable" Open Rails version 1.3.1 and see what happens!

Screenshot and Open Rails log attached.

OR_MG_crash2.jpg

OpenRailsLog.txt

Quick question: Your disk drive H; What kind of drive is it and how is it attached to the system?

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Drive H: is a standard SATA connected HDD.

Being a Hard Disk Drive, it's data transfer rate is not really ideal. Solid State Drives are being considered as replacements in the future to improve data transfer rates.

Ran the same (last) activity under stable Open Rails 1.3.1, and the activity completed without issues.

Just recalled that a contributing factor for the unstable versions crashes might have been partly due to me downloading files in the background at the same time the activity was being run. The downloading would use some CPU resources, but I would have thought not to the extent to interfere with Open Rails which is not as CPU intensive as MSTS(?)

I might re-run the activity for the unstable versions of Open Rails, but this time ensure no other processes are running in the background, including downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Drive H: is a standard SATA connected HDD.

. .
    Are you sure? Maybe a 16GB partition of a SATA HDD? Or is is an 16GB PATA or IDE HDD?
    Last edited by crstagg; 04-27-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Charles

Yes. Actually drive H: is a partition of a SATA drive.

That drive also has data partitions and also some other operating systems, but not the main operating system (Windows 7 64 bit) which is on another physical SATA HDD.

While downloading files to the data partition of the same physical SATA HDD as drive H:, this might introduce a slight delay in drive access and consequent slight delay in data transfer while running Open Rails? This might explain why Open Rails could crash as requested data is not being supplied fast enough?

Or is it something else?

Gd Morning,

Yeah, when you run a test I'd agree you shut everything down except the Sim for an accurate test.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Successfully completed the activity under Open Rails "MG" version this time!

Made sure there were no other (major) processes running in the background, including no downloads.

Noticed that the frame rates dropped down to nearly 100 fps in several places, and the passing train looked a bit" stuttery" at times.

So it seems for my computer setup, I have to be careful not to have any other software running that might also use the same physical HDD as is used for Open Rails (various versions) and MSTS. Otherwise it seems likely there might be MSTS and ORTS crashes occurring, particularly for areas that have a large number of objects and/or have a lot of textures that have to be processed.

Back to the original issue of wheelslip and tractive power reduction on resumption of saved activities.

I am still getting these problems when resuming activities under Open Rails (unstable version 22nd June and MG version 63)!!

The problem is usually worse when saving activities while the trains are crawling uphill at maximum power. On selecting the activity to resume, it is noticed that the Projected speed within the Track Monitor shows NaN instead of a value close to the actual current speed! And on actually resuming the activity, the projected speed shows "0" now!?

The wheelslip warning comes up and power is reduced with the train eventually stalling/coming to a stop, or the train rolls backwards down the hill!!

Why aren't the programs showing correct Projected speeds on resumption of activities, and what can be done to enable resumption of saved activities to trains speeds (current and projected) to those values saved to begin with!?

It is frustrating not being able to resume such activities!

Here are three screenshots in chronological order which shows what is happening (via the Track Monitor).

Just before saving activity (FM).jpgJust after selecting resumption of activity (FM).jpgJust after actually resuming activity (FM).jpg

If you get such slipping at game restart you can try switching for some seconds to Autopilot mode until train has reached the desired speed, and then switch back to player driven train.

Thanks for the tip.

Engaging the Autopilot (Alt + A keys) immediately after resuming the saved activity does prevent the train from stalling.

HOWEVER! The train now accelerates to tremendous speeds as though it was supercharged!! This happens under both the 22nd June unstable release and also for MG version 63 of Open Rails!

Here is a screenshot of the train accelerating uphill!

Resumed activity with Autopliot engaged (FM).jpg

Note the present and projected speeds. They are WAY beyond the original (before activity saved) current and projected speeds!?

So it seems there is a "bug" in Open Rails(?)

Another issue is that when the train stalls and starts to roll backwards (no Autopilot engaged) and train brakes are applied (via the train brake lever or when the emergency brakes are activated), it seems only the rear brakes are applied with the front brakes not applying at all!?

So the train continues to accelerate backwards downhill with only some brakes applying!?

Another "bug" in Open Rails?