Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Southern Pacific Shasta Route - Development Thread

Thanks everyone! Have definitely been focusing (through lots and lots of trial-and-error) on painting terrtex dirt roads. The area around Bolam (between Hotlum and Andesite) has been the predominant "test bed" for this. It is time-consuming work (using a mixture of TSRE's Ruler tool and hand-drawing) but I feel it adds a lot to the realism. The question is whether I want to do that along over 100 miles of route.

Most railfans who are familiar with the Shasta Route know of Dry Canyon/Hotlum Trestle, but few are aware of the smaller Whitney Creek Bridge about a mile south ("west" on SP) of old Bolam. Whitney Creek is a glacial-fed, highly variable waterway that flows directly off of the northwest side of Mount Shasta. The majority of the time, the creek is bone dry or a trickle. But after heavy rainfalls or during high temperatures that cause rapid snow melt on Mount Shasta, the creek can quickly turn into a roaring torrent of water speeding down the slope of the desert. (The Southern Pacific installed a water-level monitoring device over the creek and the dispatcher would stop trains if the water level reached dangerous levels.) In my railfanning adventures a few years ago I made several hikes through this area getting photos. I found most of the roads along the track here are extremely sandy, to the point that many are only traversable with a Jeep or similar. (This is very much in contrast to the roads a couple miles to the south near Hotlum that are EXTREMELY rocky due to the lava flows.)

Here are a series of screenshots around Graham Creek Bridge with the creek in a relatively low-flow state. Believe it or not, at flood stage nearly the entire swath of land under this bridge can be covered in a brown, muddy torrent.

Graham Creek Terrtex Work by Sean Kelly, on Flickr

~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass

Stunning!
    It's the dirt tracks and roads which help set this apart.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Looks great Sean!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Well, if Seligman and especially Mullan are anything to go by...

Getting this will be pretty much a no-brainer.

Sad pictures of the lightning caused Lava Fire. Word is the Dry Canyon Trestle also has structural damage to go along with the burnt up ties

https://www.siskiyoudaily.com/pictur...nd/7800432002/
    Last edited by spoony1999; 06-30-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Southern Pacific Shasta Route - Development Thread

I'm saving up my pennies as I wait patiently

cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)