Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Third rail or bust....

Default Third rail or bust....

I am finally approaching the home stretch towards the completion of a route I've been
    working on for almost ten years....a project I call "The Jersey-Hudson Divisions Route".
    This is a PC-CR era route that includes Philadelphia, Metro New York, and Albany-Selkirk
    right-of-ways.

Of course this means PRR overhead catenary, NYC type third-rail, and the non-electrified
    territories of the West Shore and the rails between Croton-Harmon and Albany.

My problem is that after all these years, there is only one option available for the placing
    of third-rail. And unless I'm misunderstanding something about this option, it would give
    an entire route's trackage a third-rail look.

What I would like to know....does anyone know of a third-rail object that could be added
    to a route using the gantry.dat auto-placement feature in RE?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve Thomas was working on PRR style third rail. Outside of his efforts I don't know of any other 3rd rail shapes. Maybe someone in the Trainz community would have something they might consider re-exporting to MSTS format?

Your second option would be to use the aliasing features in the new Dynatrax and use UK Finescale tracks which have 3rd rail sections. You would then need to create a US track texture to try and mask the UK Track somewhat and make it appear more like the US track.

Robert

A collection of third-rail track shapes were created by EuropeanBahn and included with their routes.

The names of these track shapes start with EB_ and use the default track textures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

Unless I've done something wrong, a sizeable number of Tim Booth's UKFS trackshapes are 3rd rail.

They are "built" into the Standard Tsection. A1t stays A1t, the third rail shapes stay third rail.

Eventually, I'll get back to the Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley part of TriState and replace the A1t shapes with the UKFS.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Wow those shots look great!

Maybe this means BLWZT needs to add a NYC pack to our list! When might you be looking at completion? (not to be impatient, but to wonder how much time we'd have to make it).

Christopher

Another option to using dedicated third-rail track pieces would be to use companion pieces.

For each track section I used on the CTA tracks in my CNW Chicago route, there's an accompanying third-rail piece that gets automatically placed using my WFH utility. It would require a little more effort to create the pieces, but in my opinion, that's safer than changing out all the track sections and making large TDB changes. You could do the same with Catmaster by creating third-rail sections instead of wire sections.

I wouldn't try the gantry feature -- it's somewhat primitive in its functionality, and that's why I developed WFH in the first place.
    Last edited by eolesen; 03-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Hot Damm! Glad to see this one! The West Shore was one of those on my 'to do list' and have been gathering info on.

Paul are you doing both sides of the Hudson up to Albany? If so, where are you on track work around the Beacon - Poughkeepsie area? That's my old neck of the woods, and will be back there around the end of the month. May even make it up to your area to get some research on Selkirk area.

John T

BTW, the route looks fantastic! Where is the fourth and fifth shots taken? Just east of Selkirk going over the Hudson?
    Last edited by SDCW4300; 03-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.

John, all the mainline trackage is in....and yes that's both sides of the Hudson.

Right now I'm now checking for final details like correct CTC passing tracks, passenger station placement, signal placement, industrial sidings, and bridges like the Mid-Hudson, the fire damaged Poughkeepsie bridge, and the Rip Van Winkle amongst others. Ohhhh and of course, that rail link on the B&A side of the A.E. Smith Memorial bridge that makes up what we called the "Selkirk Loop".

Yup, those are the forth and fifth shots....early morning PC & CR freights coming off the A.E. Smith Memorial and the bridge for the NY Thruway spur to the Mass. Pike.

Chris, all the mainline trackage....minus the "Selkirk Loop" rail....is done! Something I seem to recall from a very early route I made years ago is telling me that MSTS doesn't like (or allow?) rails (or roads for that matter) that make a closed loop like you would see in a "real world" model train layout.

Otherwise, I've run a train on every branch with nothing more serious than an occasional broken coupler, and it takes about 3.5 hours @ 45-50mph to make a run from Selkirk to Philly's 30th St. Station.

Right now I'm placing signals (and most likely not doing that correctly) and just fleshing things out with scenery objects and some "tweaking" here n' there.

The only drawback to UKFS is that the third rail is very much British in appearance. There's also the issue of it not really matching the default MSTS/X-Track shapes very well and if looking to the future, how it works in OR.

I remember when I created the little Southern Region route for Blue Arrow (many years ago now) having to painstakingly place individual sections of conductor rail alongside the main track. It was a horrible job and I don't think my eyesight (or sanity) ever recovered, particularly as the end result wasn't as neat as an integral track piece. If I had to do it again, I would have insisted on using UKFS or picking a non-third rail prototype!
    Vern.