Thread: Clinchfield

Default Clinchfield

Part of the Clinchfield (42 miles from Elkhorn City to St. Paul) is being modelled by DTG.

I first came across this RR back in the 1970's, when it featured as an N-Gauge model layout construction article in Railroad Modeller.
    Then, after MSTS was released, it was created for that sim as a freeware item and covered the entire route as the Blue Ridge and Kingsport subs. They are both available in the MSTS library here.
    Back in the day they were fun to operate and I even created and uploaded an Activity for it (Blue Ridge) in 2002.

Forty-two miles doesn't seem like a lot BUT.....if the DTG creative staff have done their homework, this could be a delight to operate for those into coal hauling.
    The scenery shots look very good, so let's hope that the operational side is up to scratch.
    And if someone can recreate the Clinch's 4-6-6-4 steam locos, that would be the icing on the cake.

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Thank you, Dave. That's good to know.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I bought this route today, out of nostalgia more than anything (refer opening post).
    At AUS$56 it is a fair whack on the old hip pocket but, hey, that's our crappy exchange rate right up front.

The section of the Blue Ridge sub that has been modelled is well done and the yard at Elkhorn City is as I remember it from the MSTS version but is far more detailed and graphically enhanced, of course.

It is a "green corridor" route - just like real life - so if you are hoping for scenic vistas, hordes of wildebeest stampeding across open plains or even views of Sydney Opera House, then forget it; this is Torquay..........ooops! Sorry, I've wandered into a Fawlty Towers episode.

Seriously tho', this route is not going to appeal to those who are not fans of rails following rivers at the bottom of lush forested hillsides.
    But from an operational viewpoint, it offers much.

An annoying feature is that after all these years we still get the original GP9/F7 locos but without any enhancements whatsoever.
    One would have thought that DTG could have got off their collective bums and created some more up-to-date models of these period locomotives just for this new issue.

For the first time for many years I actually fired up the TS editor today, along with Mike Simpson's TS_Tools (which has replaced RW_Tools).
    Reason is that there are two Scenarios which have the player loading coal at a couple of tipples between 8:00 and 10:00 PM. At night. In the dark.

This seemed somewhat unrealistic to me, particularly as the second part of the assignment is in pitch black, with no lights anywhere on the tipple structure. I couldn't see a damned thing and I am sure that the loco crew wouldn't be staggering around with torches (flashlights, for you Yanks).
    I don't know where the creator of this pair of Scenarios sourced his information, if at all. I think it came from his imagination.

Thus the reason for dusting off the editor, which allowed me to reset the start times from after sunset to mid-morning.
    A quick, 10-minute job, including using TS_Tools to save as a non-Career Scenario.

I wouldn't have bothered except that the route itself is mostly very good.
    However, there is one standout example of DTG's laziness or lackadaisical attitude and it is that once again we see rivers and streams which look like man-made canals - straight-edged and with the occasional rock placed randomly to try and give an appearance of nature. It fails miserably to do so.

But I like it and would love to see the whole route done.