Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A beat-up Tyco F7.

Default A beat-up Tyco F7.

Robert Lewis asked me to make this for him as a favor because I asked to post somewhere I didn't have an account. It's a sort of easter egg for one of his routes, a Tyco Amtrak F7, to be beat up as shown.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/629297/

Because it's going to be a scenery item, it's on the low-poly v3 model. It looks pretty good-ish at the moment, but don't worry, it'll be destroyed soon.

SFCAN637.jpg

Does anyone want this as a stand-alone unit on the v4 model, pre-destruction?

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

I'll take it as a stand along v4 model, along with a scenery v3 static! I got a couple of places it would fit in pretty well!

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Of all the times I've weathered locomotives, I've never rusted one so badly. I've applied dirt, dust, grime, grease, fading, and even some rust, but this one takes the cake.

SFCAN640.jpg

The numberboard guts came from a pic by one of my freinds. (Hi Dustin!)

Only the top and one side is done.

Wow, Both the clean version and the dirty version are incredible to be honest.

The inspiration for this project is the Southern E8 6913, which was a resident in Binghamton NY for many years. As a kid my parents would make sure to drive past the old E8 and Erie Stillwell coach sitting next to the passenger station.

I really would like a Erie Stillwell coach with arch windows for MSTS. But haven't found one to use as a static shape behind this F7. I did find the box cars and EL caboose though.

Parker,

There is some more pictures of that rusty E8 here. https://www.railpictures.net/showpho...ad_number=SARX 6913

When NS moved it, the E8 was very reluctant to roll after sitting for so many years in Binghamton NY. It also set off some hot box detectors while in transit. She was on the verge of being seized up solid.

This is how she was when I remember seeing it as a kid,

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho....aspx?id=34711

Note the Erie Stillwell behind the E8.

Some more of 6913 in Binghamton NY. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=4634994

and http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2736361

There was a couple Stillwell coaches there. But some homeless bums set fire to one of them. One got burned and then scrapped, The green one is now someplace in PA under private ownership. I believe of the 3 coaches, two got the torch and one escaped for preservation.

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 04-26-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks Robert. That childhood story of yours reminds me of the fact that my parents liked to take me to view SP 745 as it was being restored when I was a wee lad.

But I want to ask Why are you using a Tyco Amtrak F7 for your scene? I presume there's a deeper meaning other than a amusing Easter egg?

Nice rust job! Man, I'd love to do just half of that to a ton of EMD units. Even time I try, It looks like a horror show.
    Great skill work.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Nice rust job! Man, I'd love to do just half of that to a ton of EMD units. Even time I try, It looks like a horror show.
    Great skill work.
    Thanks. It took a lot of practice, and I don't think I'm quite there yet.

SFCAN643.jpg

Once I'm done with this thing, you'll probably don't want to touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Thanks. It took a lot of practice, and I don't think I'm quite there yet.

SFCAN643.jpg

Once I'm done with this thing, you'll probably don't want to touch it.
    Make it non powered and be able to used in a consist and you can drag it around dead.

In a way Michelle, that's the plan. Unpowered dead on v4, Unpowered Static on v3, and Powered and clean on V4.

Every time I look at this thread title, I think someone posted in the wrong thread (TYCO Locomotives do not have a reputation for durability), but then I realize it's my project.

Still don't understand why Robert wanted this engine specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Thanks Robert. That childhood story of yours reminds me of the fact that my parents liked to take me to view SP 745 as it was being restored when I was a wee lad.

But I want to ask Why are you using a Tyco Amtrak F7 for your scene? I presume there's a deeper meaning other than a amusing Easter egg?
    The scene I am building is purely freelance. Being age 7 or 8, I didn't know any better about Amtrak vs NJT. My dad had gotten it wrong and said it was an Amtrak F7 that had suffered an engine room fire while switching a couple tank cars. I didn't learn of it being a NJT E8 until many years after the fact. But still a strange and cool sight in what I always thought was a dreary depressing city. I have more memories of abandoned old buildings and what not from that area. Well, it did look like hell back then. And since winters are longer. It seemed to always be dreary and threatening to rain or snow.

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 04-27-2020 at 11:40 AM.