Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A beat-up Tyco F7.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Thanks. It took a lot of practice, and I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Attachment 79018

Once I'm done with this thing, you'll probably don't want to touch it.
    Maybe some fading to the stripes in the spots rust haven't ate through yet. The blue and red should look like it's been exposed to the sun, rain, snow for a couple decades. Also a tad little more rust covering the red arrow to make it a little less visible maybe?

I'd like to get some rust on the port hole areas and the steps. They are too clean looking.

I think we can make a plywood texture to cover the windows by removing the alpha channels? I know the NJT E8 they tried to keep the windows boarded up.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Maybe some fading to the stripes in the spots rust haven't ate through yet. The blue and red should look like it's been exposed to the sun, rain, snow for a couple decades. Also a tad little more rust covering the red arrow to make it a little less visible maybe?

I'd like to get some rust on the port hole areas and the steps. They are too clean looking.

I think we can make a plywood texture to cover the windows by removing the alpha channels? I know the NJT E8 they tried to keep the windows boarded up.

Robert
    I remember the old ex Crescent E's running on the NY&LB back in the early 1980's. Funny thing was the old Crescent logo along with the SRR logo did bleed through after a year. The 1980's was a great time and the NY&LB was the last stand for the E8's like the K4's & the GG-1's were on the NY&LB too years before. Until NJT's new F40PH's came in & the E's got their rest. Then no engine change at S. Amboy when the NY&LB (Now the North Jersey Coast Line) was electrified to Long Branch. By 1990 everything we loved, the train change, the E8's & E7's, the GG-1, freight service on the NY&LB (Except for the Asbury Park Press until the late 1990's) were all gone.

But you know with the F7 there, you can do a couple of NJT's Ex-CNW "400's" F units. Remember the NJDOT bought the F's from the CNW that were used on their 400's train service for extra power in the early 1980's too. I remember seeing them come through town here with the ex-ATSF El Cajon coaches that NJDOT bought for the EL just prior to Conrail (Hummm the E-L Cajon?). Some ran the NY&LB but mostly they ran out of Hoboken on the ex-EL Main & Bergen County Line along with other former EL commuter lines. NJT kept them numbered in the 400 series also.
    - Mark -

Mark, I've got in my unfinished pile NJT F units. I also have two unfinished NJT E8 models, as well as plans for 2 more for 4 total. They are going to be shunted off to Michelle here shortly for finishing. Then the mighty GE U34CH set. Something I've wanted to finish for ages now!!!

Michelle is just a little behind after recovering from Covid-19.

I just can't figure out how to capture the HEP sounds and the high idle of the GE FDLV16 engine. The sound they made was just awesome!

Robert

Robert,

Well, the fading was the ticket. Should've done it first.

SFCAN646.jpg

One side, the nose top, and the rear aren't done yet, but I'll get to those in due time.

Did I mention that I'm kinda fumbling around here, trying to figure out what looks good and what sucks? Because I am.

Side Note: Those NJT Fs, in DMMCs universe, after some went back to Chicago Northwestern, were bought by DMMC for their executive train.

SFCAN385.jpg
    Last edited by SD40-2; 04-27-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

That looks Grrright!!!

Seriously, I don't know if anyone would want to even touch that thing? Wow! that's a lot of rust.

Robert

Well, you gave me the photo, and I did it.

SFCAN648.jpg

Now, onto the bare-ish side, and rear. I'm not entirely familiar with the mapping for the v3 units, my apologies in advance.

That thing is so ugly its beautiful!

Amen!

I'm glad I decided to have Parker work on this project.

We needed a junk F unit to park along forgotten sidings in the weeds.

Robert

So, you and lineman are working on this route project, and lineman gave me a EMD cab for the Demonstrator SD60s. There's some sort of connection there....

And the beatings continue....

SFCAN649.jpg

Thanks for the cab by the way lineman. I do wish it had a analog speedometer, like the originals, but the digital will do fine.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 04-27-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Okay, beat the trucks up. I'm going to stop for a bit.

SFCAN650.jpg