Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Occasional Crash Running Activity

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    After "installing" the missing wav file x_RFtractionmotor.wav, I've had no further crashes, so far! Thanks Derek!

But the question now is, why is the sound pack "KLW Locomotive Common Sound Pack v1.0" not available for downloading (anymore)?
    Doubt if it was one missing sound file that caused the crash...many instances of missing sound files will show warnings in the log, maybe cause OR to crash --- not probable. I really suspect that something else was causing the crash...save your crash log to post if you're really concerned about finding the cause.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Then why still offer locomotives for downloading that still require the "missing" sound pack?

Maybe not so simple after all?
    No, just as simple as geepster posts...what you've neglected to factor in, is that there are many sound sets that can be aliased to locomotives, so having these early sounds missing is not much of a problem...just find something more recent and substitute them. Simple!
    Just because something requires a certain set of sounds does not prevent anyone from substituting a more recent set, or a better set...as the case may be.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I ask that question all the time. You just stumbled upon the grand weakness of any file library containing 20 years worth of somewhat dated content.

I believe new users really are no longer serviced well by any business model that involves culling thru 20 years of moldy oldies. I believe they could be better serviced simply by procuring current day self-contained payware where everything is supplied; the route, rolling stock, cabviews, sounds, and activities. There are some activity packs uploaded by a few users here that rely upon a handful of combined payware routes as the base source of rolling stock, and those are easier to install / troubleshoot and are much more new-user friendly than 99% of the other material that has to be sourced piecemeal and then modified in an unplanned manner upon installation due to the effects of time.

This is a great trove of material if you want to tinker or putter AND possess common sense to detect when a lack of present day availability throws you a curveball, but it is not the place to be if you want to simply 'download, install and run'.

Downloaders of today must assume that, because of aging factors, anything they grab from such a library like this one will need some form of unplanned surgery that never was outlined in the original instructions.

Regardless, I still find it a bit odd that the one sound pack is missing and yet other ("required") files are still available.

Substitute file(s) are a possibility. And another possibility is to remove references to the missing sound files by editing the corresponding sms files.

Then why still offer locomotives for downloading that still require the "missing" sound pack?

Maybe not so simple after all?
    Simple, it can be replaced with other sound packs in the F/L
    Dave Edwards

It can be replaced with the sound pack

Here