Thread: Old man coming back

Default Old man coming back

Hey all, after a very long series of serious illnesses, I am coming back to MSTS but now open rails, Im in process of learning and using it, i have only had it installed for just a couple of weeks now. But I am totally confused on how to use this consist editor TRES. I have been reading the forums and doing the things that people are saying to do via utube, google searches, forums, ect and i cannot for the life of me save a consist. It saved in the editor BUT it wont show up in the open rails start up under engine, consist. I go back in to the editor and the consist is still there that i created, it just does not show up in the game, i created a folder called train game with 4 folders in it, it did load properly, but cant get to save anything. I am under windows 10 platform 64 bit sys and using TRES v069zip i do believe, I have tried other versions older ones, but to no avail. If someone in this wonderful forum can help an old geezer i would really appreciate it. I just want to pretend to be an engineer like all of you and run one of my consists like most of you are now. Thank you for reading my post, by the way i still have MSTS installed under the reg root dire, its just some one said to create another folder called train game....thanks again.

Hi om,

Another om here. :-)
    I hope you have installed MSTS as per https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...g_msts_w7.html
    If not, uninstall and do it again. The instructions are valid for win10.

Always stay with the latest version of a program.
    Cheers
    Derek

I'm trying to untangle your post and can't quite understand the problem you are having...
    I think you have your folders set up correctly from this statement:
    i created a folder called train game with 4 folders in it, it did load properly, but cant get to save anything.
    I don't understand specifically what you mean by "cant get to save anything"

Were these the folders: GLOBAL, SOUND, ROUTES, TRAINS ? All of them inside a folder named "train game"
    Is this how your folder setup looks? C:\train game\ === with the above 4 folders inside the "train game" folder?

Did you "point" OR to the "train game" folder by using Options/Content Tab?

Please read Chaps 4 and 5 in OR manual and Chap6-Sec8 (Content)
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry, Thank you for your response, I have MSTS installed in 2 locations on my pc. 1 in reg c:/program files the FULL INSTALL { 2 }just a folder on D:/ TRAIN GAME with only Routes,Train,sound and Global folders in it. The new version of TRES acknolwedges both Locations and loads just fine. The problem is when I create any consist it never appears when I open in the route setup page on openrails i click and save but never get the consist under my loco that i created it for. Did you "point" OR to the "train game" folder by using Options/Content Tab?
    Are you referring to the settings tab, the answer would be YES, What do you think i am doing wrong? thank you for all your help....Louis

Hi Gerry, yes I had 1 path set in the options content tab, not the train game folder. But the main defaultc: program files(x86)Microsoft games\

Thank you Derick.

UPDATE EVERYTHING RESOLVED!!! You steered me in the right direction, thank you again Gerry. MSTS OPENRAILS FOREVER!!!!!!!

Hi splou,
    Which program are you using to create consists? If it's ConBuilder, then that defaults to the location specified in the MSTS Registry entry which, in your case, appears to be C:\Program Files (x86)\ and the created consists will NOT appear in that CONSISTS folder but another of the Windows 'working' folders. You will need to point ConBuilder to your Train Game folder for the consists to show in that location's CONSISTS folder.

If it's the TSRE5 Consist Editor, then ensure that it loads your Train Game folder.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi splou,
    Which program are you using to create consists? If it's ConBuilder, then that defaults to the location specified in the MSTS Registry entry which, in your case, appears to be C:\Program Files (x86)\ .......

Cheers,
    Ged
    Not true for ConBuilder versions released after the release of ORTS. That is only true for older versions before ORTS.

The Culprit is Windows security features protecting Program Files folders, not ConBuilder or any other CE.
    Charles