Thread: Open Rails Path Editor

Default Open Rails Path Editor

Okay calling all you experts on the OR Path Editor, how do I recover the situation below?

Trying to set up a path from Taree to Sydney for one of the Australian routes. I get to a passing loop, select take other exit but instead of coming back out the other end the path has truncated. There is no RMB function at the exit nodes, just Delete Rest Of Path (which the editor seems to have done on its own), or Draw Path To Here which is where it stops. If I move beyond the location in the screen the cursor circle doesn't follow and I cannot reinstate the path.

Incidentally I've also had the yellow path suddenly terminate with an accidental click of the RMB.

I have no option but to use the OR Path Editor as the MS one will crash as soon as I try and do anything on the track diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.

Have you tried PageUp or Shift-PageUp? The first extands the path to the next node, the latter extends the path to the end.
    Pressing either of these should extend the path beyond the switch, straight on, but this would give you the menu option of 'take other exit' at that switch. That option is only available when the path runs through the switch, not just upto that switch as is the case here.
    If on these commands the path does not extend beyond the switch, it could be that the track is broken at that point for whatever reason. Even this path editor can't fix that.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

I'll give that a try because I just deleted that previous attempt and started a new one. I followed the yellow line thinking to set the end point if I get it to Sydney, but it just runs out of steam at a track node in the middle of nowhere!

Edit: Yes that seems to be working but still strange why the editor will not generate a track to the furthest extent, which we then manipulate as per the MS AE PE process.

Edit 2: Yep that's got it bud. Many thanks. Now to play with the Timetable Editor!
    Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 05-07-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Vern.

My own experience with the path editor was that I couldn't use it without depending on the instructions. Lots of things I can figure out without the manual, but this wasn't one.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    My own experience with the path editor was that I couldn't use it without depending on the instructions. Lots of things I can figure out without the manual, but this wasn't one.
    Christopher
    I think I've now got the basics Chris so far as simple paths are concerned, enough to set up a basic timetable operation. However I fear some of the more complex functionality will stay firmly above my pay grade!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I think I've now got the basics Chris so far as simple paths are concerned, enough to set up a basic timetable operation. However I fear some of the more complex functionality will stay firmly above my pay grade!
    Vern, I have always had trouble modifying existing paths with the trackviewer, seems I'm missing something so I usually just make a new path, then everything seems to go smoother...use the shft/pageup to goto end or pageup to next node...adding passing paths, or taking other take other exit as needed.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

The first thing to do when you want to modify an existing path is to remove the path end flag. Only 'open ended' paths can be fully modified. If the path still has the end flag set, any modification which would take the path away from the end flag is blocked.
    To remove the path end flag, you can either select 'delete rest of path' at the location where you want to modify the path, or indeed actually remove the end flag itself.
    For paths which have reversals, 'delete rest of path' is the best option as otherwise all reversals beyond the point where you want to modify must be removed one by one.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

Much Thanks, Rob...removing the path end flag was exactly the step I was not aware of. Gerry
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Good evening to each other.

I would like to park a tanker train in Missoula on the Mullan Pass route, the locomotives should then go to refuel. The refueling works, but the uncoupling does not. The train just keeps going. The instructions for the path editor are not meaningful enough. Who can help? Thank you very much.
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by flanker View Post
    Good evening to each other.

I would like to uncoupled a AI-Tank-Train in Missoula on the Mullan Pass route, the locomotives should then go to refuel. The refueling works, but the uncoupling does not. The train just keeps going. The instructions for the path editor are not meaningful enough. Who can help? Thank you very much.
    Sorry, forget the AI-Train.
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Michael