Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free ORTS Routes

Quote Originally Posted by biologybob View Post
    Charles,
    I have not installed MSTS on my Windows 7 machine only Open Rails. Will I have that same problem with editing? I did open a consist file and replace the 2 engines with two of mine that I had saved from MSTS. There appeared to be no problem. Should I make a new non-protected file as R. Steele above suggests and put all my ORTS stuff there? I have no intention on installing MSTS on this machine.
    Thanks for your reply
    Bob
    Yes, we are referring to an MSTS install, but it is NOT the MSTS executable in the Train Simulator folder that suffers from the M$ Windows file security problem. It is the add-ons in the subfolders.

ORTS executables go in a base folder as in C:\ORTS and the add-ons (either for MSTS or ORTS) go in their respective sub-folders of another base folder you can name C:\Trains. Of Course, if you do install MSTS just to get the MSTS default add-ons, you need to point the MSTS installer to C:\Trains and NOT C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator. And I REALLY recommend following the steps at Steam for Me. I printed them out, followed to the letter and NEVER have had a problem. And have done it again with multiple mini-installs.
    Last edited by crstagg; 05-12-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Charles

Bob,
    You don't need an install of the MSTS executable just to run ORTS. But you may want to run the tools as in the AE to create a path instead of using the ORTS Track Viewer. AND you may want to install a route that uses some of the files from an MSTS install that get placed in the subfolders such as shapes in ..\Global\Shapes folder or Sounds or rolling stock or Cabviews and Sounds from the default MSTS ENGs and WAGs. At a minimum you may need to copy the sub-folders from an MSTS install to your C:\Trains folder.
    Charles

If I have only installed ORTS do I have to have MSTS bin?
    Thanks

No sir. ORTS does everything MSTS Bin does.

In fact, MSTS Bin won't even install without a valid MSTS 1.2 install if I remember correctly.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

No.

MSTS bin is specifically to modify and strengthen MSTS.

Christopher

MSTS Bin modifies the MSTS executable...has nothing to do with Open Rails. To parrot everyone else.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

If I have only installed ORTS do I have to have MSTS bin?
    Thanks
    Only if you are going to install and use the MSTS executable. I assume you can afford to by it. All it costs is a bit of time.
    Charles

After downloading J.H.Sullivan's Milwaukee Road route I see it requires MSTS default routes. It says this is an ORTS route. Does this mean if I download an ORTS route I will still need the MSTS default routes?

After downloading J.H.Sullivan's Milwaukee Road route I see it requires MSTS default routes. It says this is an ORTS route. Does this mean if I download an ORTS route I will still need the MSTS default routes?
    Bob,
    Surely you have been around MSTS long enough to remember the MSTS routes that had to be installed in an install with the default routes so that files from the default routes could be copied into the new route. That was usually done with an install.bat file. This is the same thing. Sullivan has used building or scenery files from the default routes in his route. Since those files are the property of Micro$oft, it is illegal to distribute them w/o permission. Therefore it is required that you have the default routes in an install and put his Milwaukee route in it so that the install.bat can copy the files to the route. If you don't have the default routes then you can't use his route.
    Charles

I seem to recall that biologybob is new to us and has picked up open rails without having MSTS.
    Christopher