Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free ORTS Routes

Default Free ORTS Routes

I am new to ORTS. I have downloaded the Siskiyou Route. I would like suggestions as to which other free routes are worth downloading.
    Thanks,
    Bob

ORTS will run all MSTS content,. There are lots of routes out there. Download what looks interesting to you.
    Throw in TSRE and you can modify the route to better reflect your interests.
    If you want to look around and explore I would suggest the Monon. It's a great route.
    If you need stuff that doesn't require MSTS assets the PRR Eastern Division and the RGS available here in the DL are both excellent.
    Lots of great stuff out there.
    Depends on what your interests are.

Randy

Any and all routes developed by Paul Charland will be very worthwhile.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Sorry, the RGS is available at Elvas Tower.
    Well worth the download, but follow the instructions.
    I agree with Russ above. Paul has made some excellent routes and the equipment to go with them.

Randy

Wink

Surfliner --- make sure you find and apply all the most recent upgrades.
    MSTS Route - Surfliner v2.3 Update.
    Requires Surfliner Route v2.2.
    This update further modifies scenery
    throughout the Surfliner route to add
    additional details and local landmarks.
    Route by Jeff Farquhar and Paul Peterson.
    Version 2.3 update by Brian Smolke.
    CN Blackfoot
    ORTS CN Blackfoot Summer Edition V1
    An updated summer only version of the route now covers 124 miles of CN’s northern prairie secondary line from North Battleford, Saskatchewan to Vermilion, Alberta, Canada. Features additional track work, new terrain textures, scenic objects and vegetation. Route is single track, non-signaled with local sidings at each town, and major passing sidings located approximately every 30 miles. Main yards at North Battleford SK and Vermilion AB, with local yards for CN & CP at Lloydminster. Also included are 5 miles of the CP Rail lines around Lloydminster with their own yard. Two active interchanges; Canadian Pacific Rly at Lloydminster, and the NGL/Husky Diamond at LLoydminster. Stand-alone route that Requires the XTracks v3.18 (tsection.dat build 35), Newroads v3.2 or later versions. DB Tracks (US3 Version) is recommended. Upgrades by Rory Rice.
    Blue Comet -- see this thread for progress of current update >>> https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ra-in-Progresshttps://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ra-in-Progress
    MSTS route: Blue Comet Lines
    By Steve Dunham
    File 1 of 8: Blue Comet Lines main folder
    The Blue Comet route from Jersey City to
    Atlantic City, plus the NY&LB; the CNJ
    Barnegat, Sound Shore, and Seashore branches;
    the Pennsylvania lines from Bay Head to
    Whitings and from Sea Girt to Farmingdale;
    and the Tuckerton Railroad. Set in the
    Blue Comet era (1929-1941).
    Certainly all the others mentioned deserve a look, Paul Charland always releases stock and some activities with routes and his routes are always worthwhile.

...and the Monon http://www.mononrr.com/downloads/rou...download.htm#A --- is just an outstanding example of route building...make sure to read and follow the download and install instructions ( do not install any content in the MS protected "program" folders -- try something like C:\TrainSim for your root directory. )

Any lastly: NS Horseshoe Curve by Austin Yoder... excellent work.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-11-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Most routes that work in MSTS will work in OR. The worst you'd find is the odd tree in a road or on the tracks, that's because OR uses a different algorithm to generate forests then MSTS use.

Paul :-)

you mention "do not install any content in the MS protected "program" folders " when talking about the monon route. Why is that? My Siskiyou Route is in c-programs(x86)-microsoft games-train and there appears to be no problems.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biologybob View Post
    you mention "do not install any content in the MS protected "program" folders " when talking about the monon route. Why is that? My Siskiyou Route is in c-programs(x86)-microsoft games-train and there appears to be no problems.
    Thanks
    Have you tried editing any of it? Say a consist? M$oft Windows Security saves your edits in a different and hidden folder. Use the procedure at Steam for Me for installing MSTS under Windows 7 to prevent that from happening.
    Charles

Charles,
    I have not installed MSTS on my Windows 7 machine only Open Rails. Will I have that same problem with editing? I did open a consist file and replace the 2 engines with two of mine that I had saved from MSTS. There appeared to be no problem. Should I make a new non-protected file as R. Steele above suggests and put all my ORTS stuff there? I have no intention on installing MSTS on this machine.
    Thanks for your reply
    Bob

What others have said. You need to get your routes out of the program folder.
    The issue is the windows file structure permissions. So the presence or absence of MSTS makes no difference.

You've also got some good advice for other routes.
    Of course, for me, routes that connect with what I know have special appeal.

Some other good routes:
    Milwaukee Road East and some of the other Milwaukee road routes
    The new B&O route
    London & Port Stanley
    The revised SAL route in Florida

And of course the Monon and of course anything from Paul Charland.