Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC Fall Brook Division Route Errors

Default NYC Fall Brook Division Route Errors

Downloaded this yesterday and found a missing SD file (TREESMD or was it M?).

Also necessary download list had missing items and two wrong zip names.

The result was that none of the included Activities worked and as far as I can see I've everything required until I check the Acts in Route Riter. One glaring omission in the list (I stand to be corrected) was any passenger stock. The Error report highlights missing Heavyweight coaches amongst other things?

Having "done" the route in ChrisTrainsJet car I was a little disappointed to see that the trackside foliage has little variation for the entire route length. Was that some sort of autofill?

It's great to see a US two track route and especially one with stations. This increases activity potential enormously. The main problem is that there are few buildings along the way and the trackside foliage hides them for those who like to drive from the cab.

It's a shame I could find no prior to release info on the route because folk could have suggested modifications whilst it was a WIP. Now it just sounds like criticism BUT before you accuse me of bitching about it bear in mind I spent a good few hours trying to get it up and running.

BTW and on a broader subject.....

Why do we still have Read Me's in txt format? Surely everyone can read pdf's now and that allows for clearer formatting of the documents?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

BTW and on a broader subject.....

Why do we still have Read Me's in txt format? Surely everyone can read pdf's now and that allows for clearer formatting of the documents?
    Because txt format can be read direct from the library w/o having to download the file.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Because txt format can be read direct from the library w/o having to download the file.
    Thanks Charles, didn't realise that.
    Geoff
    UK

I was able to pull down the TREEM.s shape file when I ran the Install,bat file.

I've been running Paul's new NYC route, looks quite nice as a steam era New York Central route. I grew up in the Finger Lakes region, in Athens PA (big Lehigh Valley fan). Between TrainSim and Elvas Tower we have a lot of older NYC locomotives and rolling stock. And If you like this Paul Raynes route, you'll want to try his Buffalo & Susquehanna route. A really nice (and long) steam era route between Buffalo NY and Sinnemahoning PA. Also contains the complete Wellsville, Adison & Galeton railway (both routes in our library. It's been in our library for many years (since 2009). The B&S was actually purchased by the Baltimore & Ohio in February 1929, and as such provides a nice pre-WWII playground for steam era B&O fans with lots of logging possibilities.

I admit the finding some of the required rolling stock using Paul's provided file names is a bit of an adventure, but if you dig a bit, it is in the Library. But I do enjoy the "digital hunt" for the elusive quarry! All part of the game. And feel free to substitute, of course.

I hope that Paul will consider extending this route to complete the NYC Pennsylvania Division to Jersey Shore and Williamsport PA and just maybe even west to Clearfield PA. It looks to me like Paul's made a very nice route to noodle about on for many pleasurable hours!
    Last edited by llanning08; 05-12-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    I was able to pull down the TREEM.s shape file when I ran the Install,bat file.
    It was the .sd file that was missing. Do you know where that tree comes from?

Between TrainSim and Elvas Tower we have a lot of older NYC locomotives and rolling stock.
    Indeed Paul's Read Me refers to downloads necessary being both from TS.com & ET and yet all the downloads in his list were in TS.com. Do I take it there are additional downloads needed from ET? I've still loads of errors, although in fairness some were in the original stock downloads which if Paul has had them for some while he may have corrected.

Some of the issues seem to be that the downloads don't unpack into folder names that Paul has created (?)

There's also a missing consist which of course throws an error and without knowing what was in that consist you cannot even make a substitute?

And If you like this Paul Raynes route, you'll want to try his Buffalo & Susquehanna route.
    .....only if it's less hard work to get working than this one

I admit the finding some of the required rolling stock using Paul's provided file names is a bit of an adventure, but if you dig a bit, it is in the Library. But I do enjoy the "digital hunt" for the elusive quarry! All part of the game. And feel free to substitute, of course.
    If you've a better, more complete list of necessary downloads I'm sure folk would be grateful if you shared that.

I've spent a couple of hours fixing stuff so far and I'm still getting errors.
    Geoff
    UK

The TREEMD.sd file is missing, I just copied the TREEM.sd and renamed it to TREEMD.sd and that corrected the error.
    Jim

For the TREEM and TREEMD those files are in the PRR-ER folder going ways back in 2003-2004 or so on that time frame. ... Actually its the same file for "Tree4"

I remember there was a bug on those files way back when I was looking at my notes.. Looks like most of the files for that new NYC route is from the PRR-ER... (Dont get confused with Vince's PRRER v2.., its not..)
    Dave Edwards

The TreeM.S and TreeMD.s shapes appear in the EUROPE1 Shapes folder, but the TreeM.sd and TreeMD.sd files are missing. Don't know why. I did a search of my MSTS Routes folder and found the TreeMD.SD file in 5 freeware routes:

Buffalo & Susquehanna by Paul Raynes
    Columbia Gorge by Cal Rasmussen
    Mass. Bay Transit by Joseph Fortier
    Illinois Central by David Klemm
    Emporia Sub by Basil Price

Geoff, I really enjoy your Forum posts, and the recent release of your 40' Lehigh Valley boxcars is really appreciated for use on the Anthacite Project and the yet be released TriState Route. Also the the NYS&W and Linde Boxcars. No LVRR left hand door boxcars as yet, but one can hope! I think your art work is really great! Thank you and all like you who produce these little gems.

I haven't as yet looked for the route's required files, still exploring. I do usually compile a list of the files after I locate them. I'm also quite happy to make up my own Consists for just muddling about on the routes. Just a thought on missing consists, perhaps a temporary consist of one or two Budd RDC cars might suffice until you see the Activity running in context. Would this help to figure out a more suitable substitute consist?

Which Consist is missing from the Route?
    Last edited by llanning08; 05-13-2020 at 09:56 AM.

The TreeM.S and TreeMD.s shapes appear in the EUROPE1 Shapes folder, but the TreeM.sd and TreeMD.sd files are missing. Don't know why. I did a search of my MSTS Routes folder and found the TreeMD.SD file in 5 freeware routes:

Buffalo & Susquehanna by Paul Raynes
    Columbia Gorge by Cal Rasmussen
    Mass. Bay Transit by Joseph Fortier
    Illinois Central by David Klemm
    Emporia Sub by Basil Price

Geoff, I really enjoy your Forum posts, and the recent release of your 40' Lehigh Valley boxcars is really appreciated for use on the Anthacite Project and the yet be released TriState Route. Also the the NYS&W and Linde Boxcars. No LVRR left hand door boxcars as yet, but one can hope! I think your art work is really great! Thank you and all like you who produce these little gems.

I haven't as yet looked for the route's required files, still exploring. I do usually compile a list of the files after I locate them. I'm also quite happy to make up my own Consists for just muddling about on the routes. Just a thought on missing consists, perhaps a temporary consist of one or two Budd RDC cars might suffice until you see the Activity running in context. Would this help to figure out a more suitable substitute consist?

Which Consist is missing from the Route?
    Firstly I did exactly what Jim did to fix the missing .sd and I haven't had the error or noticed any bad effects since. I believe I downloaded Paul's Buffalo & Susquehanna route but never got round to using it. I have Enocell's Buffalo installed instead.

I have a "Virgin" Backup of a basic MSTS install, heavily modified with stuff like new Roads, various track types, BIN etc.etc. and when I try out a new route I start by copying this to a folder and renaming it to indicate the download I intend to add to it. This means that I have few additional shape files to "add" if Route Riter finds one missing.

I've also uploaded some other 40' box cars to Elvas Tower as they're more appropriate for the earlier era that seems to interest members there. Not many 40 footers hauled behind Gevo's in pre NS/CSX/UP/BNSF liveries? I stand to be corrected

I too rarely indulge in downloading lists of required stock for included activities and usually set off to explore using my heavily modified DEFAULT stock (a variation of Otto's idea a few years back.... and well worth the effort as many route makers include a few acts using default stock to save folk having to download stuff).

On this occasion seeing only three acts and a not too long list I thought.. heck lets go for it.

The trouble is that many older uploads are found to have errors only when someone tries to use them in an activity. With newer stuff being uploaded the fixes get overlooked or missed.

I've persevered and some of the error messages have been simple fixes, but patience dictates that you need to take a break before the struggle makes you bin the lot ! LOL! So I'll have a further play at fixing stuff and then run some more tests and upload the Route Riter Error reports. My last fixes outdated the ones I generated at the time of my first post.

PS
    Forgot to mention.... One fix I found was that the error reports showed that "missing stock" that was there all the time was "missing" because Paul had created and named folders that the stuff needed to cut and pasted into.

PPS Missing Consist : NYC Switcher at Ansonia.con
    Last edited by lateagain; 05-13-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Geoff
    UK

Geoff, I've attached your missing consist. It is also found in Paul's Wellsville, Addison and Galeton.

As it uses a post war Alco RS2, I've replaced it with a more prototypical NYC 2-8-0 Consolidation. I've also attached my consist. I use files nyc_7792,zip and nyc_cabs.zip (Trainsim library).

Both consists are in the attached zip file.

If you would like a nice pre-war diesel in lieu of the Alco RS2, you might try the NYC Alco HH660 which actually was delivered in 1938. I've attached a picture of the HH660. If you like I'll provide my HH660 consist.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files