Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6000 hp Locomotive Engine and Cab Sounds

Question 6000 hp Locomotive Engine and Cab Sounds

Wanting as realistic as possible locomotive engine (and cab) sounds for the AC6000CW (and maybe for the SD90MAC-H locomotive as well).

The nearest I've found so far are sounds from MLW_GEVO-12 set. But these sounds seem to have too much whine and not enough real deep grunty sounds (compared to sounds from videos of 6000 hp locomotives that I've watched and listened to)!?

I did try to edit the sounds from the MLW_GEVO-12 set, but I haven't been really successful so far in producing more realistic 6000 hp sounds.

Are there better (more realistic) locomotive engine sounds available for 6000 hp locomotives?

mattfsounds.zip here in the library is as good of a starting point as any. Matt did an good AC60 sound set that is included in this package.
    -Mike

Thanks, Mike!

The MF AC60 engine sounds are better, but I might still try to "tweak" them a little.

Apparently (according to web searches) SD90MAC-H engine sounds are somewhat different to that of the AC6000 engine sounds. And I've seen comments where the SD90MAC-H sounds more like an ALCO engine(?)

Anyway, I'm wanting to find realistic engine sounds for the SD90MAC-H as well, as I can't really use the AC6000 engine sounds (not realistic). Also, I've tried the ALCO 251 engines sounds (two sources downloaded from the File Library), but they sound too "weak", not grunty enough, I think. So I can't really use those sounds either.

Is there a source to download realistic SD90MAC-H (cab and outside engine) sounds from somewhere (particularly with engine running at full throttle)?

They are different. Ac6000 prime movers are 4 cycle diesel and the sd90 is a 2 cycle diesel. The difference in the exhaust note is like night and day.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm referring to the SD90MAC with the four cycle 6000 hp prime mover, and not the 4300 hp prime mover.

So, apparently there are no known clear SD90MAC-H (6000 hp) engine sounds (at idle and at maximum rpm) for use with MSTS and OR?

Anyone?

meeshu,

It's a long shot, but here's some pure SD90MAC-H models you can buy.

http://www.edstrainsonline.com/Store...ory&path=69_34

Outside of those units, I have no idea. They weren't in service for terribly long, and not well liked.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Thanks for the link!

Problem is there is no mention of (engine) sounds and whether they come with custom sounds or whether they are aliased to maybe the default Dash 9 that comes with MSTS? I suppose I could contact them and verify what engine sounds they use with their models.
    Last edited by meeshu; 06-04-2020 at 11:47 PM.

I'd say shot them a e-mail, and see what you can gleam.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.