Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6000 hp Locomotive Engine and Cab Sounds

Like Parker said, they weren't in service for very long so the fact that no one got any decent recordings isn't surprising. I've only seen one in service but it was isolated in the consist. I too have heard they had an 'Alco-like' sound to them.
    Check you YouTube. They spent the end of their lives on the B&P for a short while. Must be some vids to give you an idea of the sounds.
    -Mike

ED's Trains SD90MAC-H II

H.P. 6,250
    Engine: GM16V265

They come with cabview and sounds, but sounds are T710.

Matt Florack V4
    mattfsounds.zip
    MC_AC60V2
    Last edited by DirtyRam; 06-05-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks for the comments!

I was about to email Ed's Trains regarding the sounds used for their SD90MAC's, but their use of T710 sounds instead is not right.

I've searched online and at YouTube for 6000 hp SD90MAC locomotive engine sounds, but so far have had very little success. Only have a few videos which have the SC90MAC engine just idling, and no video's, so far, which have the engines at full throttle!? Still searching though.

The MC_AC60V2 sounds I use (with very slight modification) for the AC6000CW's. I am currently using heavily modified versions of MC_AC60V2 engine sounds for the SD90MAC-H 6000 hp locomotives in the interim until I can get a definite better sound from elsewhere.

Hey meeshu, the only other thing I can think of is DW has AC6000CWs, but as I stated the SD90MAC-H II uses the GM16V265. So all we can do is get as close as possible for now, I guess. I am trying to figure if the FDL12s and/or FDL16s could be kitbashed into anything close. Need to find out what they used for the starting point of base for the GM16V265, or if it is a whole new application.

have a good day, Mike

I found this,
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=DO0...engine&f=false

Have a look, Gerry, good stuff here for your efforts
    Last edited by DirtyRam; 06-06-2020 at 10:13 AM.

I was reminded of a fact that might help. The 1010 engine in the SD70ACE-T4 is a direct offshoot of the 265, and sounds rather similar.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Hey Parker, same engine. Also called 265H. Check out link I posted, explains the whole history.

Mike

Currently, I have created an eng.sms file based on the AC6000CW eng.sms file.

This sms file has been edited so that it plays back BOTH ALCO 251 AND AC6000CW engine sounds simultaneously. Both sounds are from Matt Florack sound pack. So I think this sound combination provides a more realistic SD90MAC-H engine sound, at least for the moment. And in comparison to some videos I've watched/listened to of SD90MAC-H's so far, the overall sound seems fairly close!

Would it be possible to capture the sound from a pass-by video and edit that?

One problem I would expect is that if you only have a full-speed sound (run 8) it might have things that don't show up at lower notches. For instance, at what point does the turbo really spool up and how does that sound (run 3 or 4)? Unfortunately, there weren't very many H-engine EMDs built, and none are still used, so you won't have much ability to record your own.

Run 7 & 8, as far as I remember

Mike

> Unfortunately, there weren't very many H-engine EMDs built, and none are still used, so you won't have much ability to record your own.

There are 300 running in China.
    Cheers
    Derek