Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEC V4 Faulty Signal?

Default NEC V4 Faulty Signal?

This is for the NEC V4 route which seems to have a "faulty" signal.

The signal does not display the clear aspect (two green lights) almost all of the time even though the track is clear and the Track Monitor shows that it should be shown as clear also!

Have noticed this occurrence in several different activities and while running different consists/trains.

The signal does, however, show the "stop" aspect (two red lights), so there doesn't appear to be an issue there.

Screenshots enclosed show - no clear signal, stop signal (that works OK), and location of the signal post (just up a bit from Girard).

NEC V4 No Clear Signal annotated! (FM70).jpgNEC V4 Red Signal OK annotated! (FM70).jpgNEC V4 Faulty Signal Location annotated (FM70).jpg

Tried activities under MSTS, and under all versions of Open Rails, the signal still is not working properly.

However, in an activity under MSTS with the train stopped near the signal, as the train rolled back a bit due to gravity (train on a slight slope), the initially blank signal THEN changed to green!! This was the ONLY time the signal was showing the correct aspect (two green lights)!

Maybe a signal script issue?

Vince?

Hi meeshu,
    as the train rolled back a bit due to gravity (train on a slight slope), the initially blank signal THEN changed to green!!

Ah!! The old MSTS 'shuffle'!! Haven't seen that mentioned in a long while!!

Sorry, I know that's no use for you!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Maybe a signal script issue?
    Log?

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This is the log for a quick start and then manually exiting the activity under Open Rails 1.3.1.

OpenRailsLog.txt

The signal is right in front of the train at the start of the activity.
    Last edited by meeshu; 05-16-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Found another three "blank" signals when they should be showing "clear" (green)!

Signals are located on the "secondary" line to the west of the "Main" or "Primary" NEC V4 line. Signals located opposite mile post markers 42, 40, and 36 on the north bound track.

Under MSTS the signals seem to work OK! But under Open Rails (unstable version dated 15th May, and under stable version 1.3.1) these three signals do not seem to work! However, some signals (opposite mile post markers 39 and 38) do work under Open Rails!?? Also, all following signals seem to work OK (on the main line).

Log attached for running under OR dated 15th May.

OpenRailsLog_NEC_V4_three_blank_signals.txt

Very strange!

So, why are some signals not working properly?

Anyone?

It may be a scripting problem.
    Last edited by Vince; 05-20-2020 at 01:44 AM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That's what I was thinking.

So, who is the script expert here?

If it's ORTS, you should ask Travis Ebner. He has recently posted signals in the file library that take advantage of ORTS logic.
    Steve
    USAF Veteran

Since I've been roped into this, the signal system is a very early MSTS thing, and will take a bit to decipher, but there may be a couple missing brackets in the main CPL script. I'll see if I can't clean it up and tell for sure

Thanks for the comments and for any further assistance!

I've located the "faulty" signals via MSTS Route Editor. They are located at (latitude, longitude)-

Code:
    first signal (just N of Girard):   39.91887      -75.20314

signal by MP 42:                   39.64291      -75.83369

signal by MP 40:                   39.66640      -75.80893

signal by MP 36:                   39.69111      -75.73468

And a working signal @ MP 39:      39.66737      -75.78959
    All above signals share the same shape file (according to sigcfg.dat) of "BOCPL3PER.s". And this shape file is referenced as "CPL_Main_A" in sigscr.dat.

From "Properties" in MSTS RE, the "faulty" signals show this -

NEC V4 Faulty signal properties.jpg

And "working" signal shows this -

NEC V4 Working signal properties.jpg

The only difference is the working signal has the Top left lunar marker checked as well as being a Distant signal checked.

Could that difference be the cause of the signalling issues?