Thread: SFM 2.5 "Scale" function not updating >eng and .wag files?

Default SFM 2.5 "Scale" function not updating >eng and .wag files?

Noticed than when I re-scaled a whole batch of Heavyweight Passenger Cars that there was no box (as in SFM 2.4 scale dialogue) to update these files. Assuming (ALWAYS A MISTAKE ) that this function was now "automatic" I wasted an hour or so only to discover that in the Sim the coaches now occupy the same spaces as their originals with massive gaps between each coupling . I don't see this issue under and search for SFM Errors.

Any ideas?

I DO have a working copy of SFM 2.4 on an old Win 7 box but my issue is why is this missing from SFM 2.5?

Answers on SFM please. The issue of most Heavyweight Coach models is another topic.

Thanks for any pointers.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

It was removed due to the fact that it had a tendency to break engine and wagon files.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

The option to write sd and eng/wag files never broke any files here. Thinking logically though, there should be no need to write to SD or eng/wag when "scaling" a model, unless you are making a drastic change to the size. Still, the lack of those tick boxes causes no problems here as I still have 2.4 installed as well.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Noticed than when I re-scaled a whole batch of Heavyweight Passenger Cars that there was no box (as in SFM 2.4 scale dialogue) to update these files. Assuming (ALWAYS A MISTAKE ) that this function was now "automatic" I wasted an hour or so only to discover that in the Sim the coaches now occupy the same spaces as their originals with massive gaps between each coupling . I don't see this issue under and search for SFM Errors.

Any ideas?

I DO have a working copy of SFM 2.4 on an old Win 7 box but my issue is why is this missing from SFM 2.5?

Answers on SFM please. The issue of most Heavyweight Coach models is another topic.

Thanks for any pointers.

I modify static scenery materials.
    there is no need to modify or SD. filet.

I believe in ENG. and WAG such changes are not necessary except in the case of couplers.
    Chimbica Dash8

I think scaling in SFM could cause some issues with more complex animated parts

I have successfully rescaled a couple of steam locomotives with full working valve gear. Bazza's Chinese C15 was one, although the tender Bazzamotion did not rescale properly.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Well luckily I still have a Win7 box with SFM2.4 working. Even so my attempts at rescaling a whole batch of cars have only been about 85% successful. Projects like this are VERY time consuming and apart from patience there's "real life" to contend with. So far I've an 85% success and I'm otherwise engaged. When I get the time I'll troubleshoot the 15% and check that they're fixed. Then I'll post pictures of the results AND why the modification of the other files (other than the SHAPE file is SO important.

It's such a glaring omission from the 2.5 version that it makes me wonder why I'd use it?
    Geoff
    UK

Don't look at me, that's what I read in the readme.

- Removed option to adjust WAG and ENG files

Due to the non uniform formatting used in WAG and ENG files, successfully adjusting
    all necessary parameters is problematical at best. Further, it is not a trivial
    operation to Reverse, Rotate, Scale or Shift the shape files for wagons or engines as
    this will usually affect the animation. If the user understands all of the additional
    editing that must be done to the shape file to accomplish this, he or she is better
    advised to manually edit the WAG or ENG file also.

Here's some reasons why you'd update to 2.5.

- Rotate an object 90 degrees clockwise (CW) or counterclockwise (CCW). - Adjust MIP map levels for textures.
    - Configure and use an alternate Unicode text editor.
    - Separate dialog box for settings.
    - Algorithm to recalculate normals when scaling shape files.
    - Capability to adjust complex bounding boxes.
    - Confirmation dialog boxes for compress, uncompress, reverse and rotate.
    - Numerous tweaks and fixes to the program and user interface.

Last edited by SD40-2; 05-17-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added list of new features.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Don't look at me, that's what I read in the readme.

Here's some reasons why you'd update to 2.5.
    LOL! Don't worry I've always said "Don't Shoot the Messenger" I've not got time to post the pictures just now but the issue is with most of the Heavyweight passenger cars in the library. Getting dimensions on Heavyweights is problematical. Different manufacturers, different build dates etc. I have John H White Jr.'s "The American Railroad Passenger Car" (BOTH Volumes) and it's a heafty tome. It covers just about everything BUT the scale drawings have no measurements!

SO.... That leaves me with photographic evidence. Luckily The MBI book "New York Central Railroad" has on it's front cover of an E8 with a Heavyweight Car directly behind it. The roof line of the Heavyweight lines up perfectly with the grills on the side of the E8!

So I took a BLW loco and added one of the NYC Heavyweight cars from the library in Shape Viewer Orthogonal Projection, Overlayed SFM Measuring Tool and guesstimated the necessary height correction.

NOW you could say "Rivet Counting"? BUT that's what Railway modellers (virtual and real) do isn't it?
    Of course the issue is that SFM can only alter height IF it also alters length. The correction might seem minor at 0.96 but the result is a far more prototypical appearance in the Sim.

You could argue that it's not very noticeable until you add a correctly scaled lightweight/streamlined car to the consist. There the difference is far more noticeable.

Of course the best solution would be if the original model could be modified but I'm not sure if the contributor is still involved with the Sim?

The trouble is there are few folk still building stuff for the Sim and that leaves little choice but to tweak the older models.

I'll post some pictures later but real life call right now....
    Geoff
    UK

Default Rescaled NYC Heavyweight Cars

As you'll see the NYC Heavyweight coach set in the Library is pretty comprehensive. As suggested above you COULD alter all the .wag files by hand.... but it would take some time to do that? I've still to check the .wag files that SFM 2.4 seems to have missed and if there are some that need altering by hand at least I have the modified ones from SFM to crib from?

In case you're wondering here's what it's all about. BTW the reason that I'm bothering is that so far there are no (correct me if I missed them?) newer Heavyweight cars? It's important because the ailing US passenger services used these long after the lightweights had been introduced on the roads that had them. Indeed many roads ended up running consists that were 90% baggage/parcels cars with one heavyweight tacked on the end for the dying passenger trade.

The two scans are from two of my collection of MBI railroad books. Thoroughly recommended and most titles still available 2nd Hand if not new. Sadly the online Railroad Picture libraries are really lacking in pictures of actual Trains, posting mainly pictures of individual Locomotives or stock items.

Click to enlarge : -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geoff
    UK