Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install .ap files

Default How to install .ap files

I have tried the utility that comes with Train Simulator and I have the very latest version of RW_tools. I am doing great unpacking the .rwp files, but I am sure that I have a lot of .ap files that need to be included in my Asset folder. Any help would be much appreciated...I have hunted and hunted for something that should be very easy to find.

Bob Edwards

You don't need to unpack .ap files to run TS2017 - it will automatically read the .ap format.

If you want to see them in RW Tools you do have to unpack them, although this defeats the object of the games designers. RW Tools has a comprehensive set of tools for unpacking .ap files - have a look at the Files Menu, and then read the help manual.

As an alternative, if you are happy to handle file and folder stuctures, .ap archives can be selectively extracted with 7Zip.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

Alan,
    I am sure that previous copies of RW_tools was allowing to unpack them, but I am certain that the latest version does not. Thanks for your comment.

Bob Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by oakpalms View Post
    Alan,
    I am sure that previous copies of RW_tools was allowing to unpack them, but I am certain that the latest version does not. Thanks for your comment.

Bob Edwards
    I have the latest version of RW Tools installed, 7.026, and it still has the tools to unpack .ap files.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

[QUOTE=AlanCh;1916391]You don't need to unpack .ap files to run TS2017 - it will automatically read the .ap format.

This is not entirely true. If you are using Third Party Scenarios you have to unpack the .ap files to make them work. As they can't read the ap files. So just go to RWTools under files and there you select find all ap files in Assets, let it run then click on the first file hold the Shift Key then go down to the last file Click on it and all files will show Blue Selected then the Bottom Left Box and RWTools will unpack all the ap files.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

[QUOTE=dphorton;1916400]
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanCh View Post
    You don't need to unpack .ap files to run TS2017 - it will automatically read the .ap format.

This is not entirely true. If you are using Third Party Scenarios you have to unpack the .ap files to make them work. As they can't read the ap files.

Sorry, but that is just not true - Train Simulator reads the .ap files, not the scenario, and reading .ap files is built into the program. I have hundreds of third party scenarios installed that work perfectly without unpacking the rolling stock or route .ap files.

Of course, if you want to edit a scenario in RW Tools to use stock that is in a .ap file you do have to unpack it first, but you can delete the unpacked files after you have finished editing and the scenario will run. If you want to see packed routes in RW Tools the only file you need to extract is RouteProperties.xml.
    Alan

Nope, I am correct. Too bad Otto isn't around to confirm my statement. No matter. Oakpalms if you still have a problem PM me.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    Nope, I am correct. Too bad Otto isn't around to confirm my statement. No matter. Oakpalms if you still have a problem PM me.
    No - you are wrong.

You can test it out by creating a test scenario in TS using rolling stock from a .ap and then see if it will run - I assure you that it will. Perhaps that is why the manuals for this stock usually tell you how to include it in new scenarios.

Strange that this is the only TS forum that I know where this false information is still circulating. Maybe that is why I rarely post here any more.

EDIT

I've just tested this again by editing one of my free roam scenarios - so that counts as third party, I guess - from within TS2017 by adding a new engine that is still in a .ap archive. I added the engine to the scenario and then drove it with no problems.
    Last edited by AlanCh; 04-24-2017 at 04:21 AM.
    Alan

Maybe you should try some of the other Routes than DTG's and you will find out. It is not false information.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    Maybe you should try some of the other Routes than DTG's and you will find out. It is not false information.
    OK - I've just set up a new scenario on a very old third party route, and added a pretty new loco which is stored in a .ap file - and it all works. I can see the loco while adding it, save the scenario, and drive the loco away - and the loco files are still stored in the .ap archive, not unpacked.

If you want to check it out, the route is from UKTrainsim, file number 22974, dating from January 2010 and the loco is from the DTG Class 59 pack from Steam. It will work with any third party route and any packed rolling stock, as I do this all the time.
    Alan