Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Njt f7

Default Njt f7

Okay I am not even knowledgeable in this area so I am asking for some help from those from this area. The NJT picked up some F7 from the CNW, but it looks like they made some changes to the rear of the Locomotive over all. Does anyone have any actual images of what the NJT did?
    Thank you Michelle

Michelle there are loads of pictures on http://www.rrpicturearchives.net./mo...id=NJT&mid=136 and http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/njdot/njdot.html and https://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php

A quick scan would show some differences to most F7's to the front of the roof and rather more obvious some socking great exhaust pipes at the back? Also an extra piece of kit below the lower of the two lights on the nose.

To make the base model look like these will take a pretty complex FA?.

Note too that there were variations in the colour scheme. Some with more gray areas and less black.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't guessing as the few images I did have are correct. but you filled in the rest.

I thought that CNW added the HEP arrangement in the 1960s when the F7s so equipped went into commuter service, and that NJT did not do much more than repaint the leased CNW units when they arrived on the east coast, but I could be wrong about that. IIRC, BLW/ZT has a model of the HEP equipped CNW F7.

Quote Originally Posted by trs666 View Post
    I thought that CNW added the HEP arrangement in the 1960s when the F7s so equipped went into commuter service, and that NJT did not do much more than repaint the leased CNW units when they arrived on the east coast, but I could be wrong about that. IIRC, BLW/ZT has a model of the HEP equipped CNW F7.
    So they Did! One of the sets I don't own so missed that. It's a shame there isn't a route that covers the CNW out of Chicago ...or did I miss that?

There used to be a BLW "Player's Reskin's" section. Not sure that's still up and running? I'd happily upload some box car reskins is it is?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by trs666 View Post

Basically when the NJT recived these units they had wrong parts installed and were a pain to operate, they did not last long in service before they were replaced.

The engines had the wrong injectors installed. Some of the parts installed in the electrical system buggered up their performance.

They could only do 4 cars, and even that required a running start to make the hills.

The C&NW F units received the typical "Cheap & Nothing Wasted" approach of the C&NW, resulting in garbage being delivered to the NJT.

They didn't last very long on NJT. I think I've read 2 years and they were gone from the roster. The NJT leased the F units because the 50 year old 3,000 volt DC Lackawanna EMU cars having frequent mechanical break downs. The EMU cars had been restricted to rush hour only status. The 32 GE U34CH units couldn't completely cover all the schedules. Hence, 6 or 7 F units came to NJT to help out. It's been stated in a "Mark 1 Video" the number being 6. But I count 7 F units total going to NJT.

Robert

I nearly have the painting completed now I just have a few areas to find on the texture and go from there. I really like how these did come out and for now the base is basically done. The FA work will be another story.
    NJT.jpg

Wow!

That sure looks good to me.

Great work Michelle.

I did send the FA for the HEP mufflers. They need some adjusting though.

If you want to seek a FA for all the other detail parts, that would probably be even better. We need the C&NW front nose bell, HEP plugs, etc.

Robert

I see some of these with out the Nose bell but with some sort of plate over the top headlight and NJT logo there.