Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about old SLI set.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    .......... the fallen flags poll and SPSF polls on the FB page, etc. etc. etc.
    Well this highlights exactly why Facebook is a lousy platform for these polls. I've never had much come up on my timeline since I "liked" the group and had assumed that the notifications I did get were the extent of the activity there. MY fault? Maybe. I come here for Train Sim issues and use FB for other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    ......all seem to me like evidence that TS is not interested in focusing on only "Gevo fans". It seems that you are questioning why TS is not diversifying to different eras. But when there is evidence that we are, you are discontent that it is not the specific era that you are most interested in, the 1960's. I assure you there are hundreds of people in our community that are interested in 80's and 90's railroading.
    Firstly that hardly explains why all of the previous models that DID have some link to earlier era's was withdrawn? Secondly don't try and make me out to be demanding only what I WANT. If you look back at some of the withdrawn packs there was quite a bit of stock and locomotives modelled that are no longer part of the catalogue. Further more many 1st Generation diesels lasted well into the 80's.

A constant feedback to Trainsimulations is where are some new models? As Robert points out there are now no Early GE models available for starters. I'm delighted that there's content for folk of ALL era's of interest but nearly 20 years into the hobby there are still massive gaps in the model catalogue. Anyone who doesn't see that might want to read a few more railway books? If they did they might discover that The Rock had one of THE most diverse sets of Locomotives of ANY railroad .....so as Robert said a repaint of an SD40 and a GP40 is hardly likely to set anyone's pulse racing? BTW my observations in (admittedly quite a few posts ) about earlier era's are NOT just "my opinion". They're a matter of historic record.

I guess the reality is that when folk all clamoured for "A NEW RAIL SIMULATOR" they seemed to overlook the fact that once these became available the core of folk able to create new models would be split between them? Many deserted the original Sim and now have a couple of 90-100% payware simulator choices with the appeal of greater eye candy possibilities or realistic physics and operations. Even Multi Player for those who like it. That's great? Just as Ts's gevo's are great but the downside is that many older contributors to the original Sim have left us. Many of the youngest contributors grew up and had to face the realities of the real world and were forced to concentrate on those.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Whilst the U boats themselves are a little ways off yet (trying to find some good diagrams from Model Railroad Craftsman or Model Railroader that shows not only both side views but front, back and roof), there are a couple of "new" models in the works. Might still be too new for some folks, but it may at least add a bit of variety for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Is That Sceeters Chessie Geeps? I ask as the one peculiarity of the Southern GP9 SLI did was a high nose mounted Bell.

BTW just found a thread from Aug 2018 where someone posted a link to where the complete pack could be purchase. Sadly the link is now dead. Don't get why this was pulled? Trainsimulations have moved progressively more modern in what they offer. The Geeps were the oldest loco they ever released. Seems daft when the opportunities for reskins are wider before the US ended up with the big four roads? Free reskins MUST have bought them sales?

Their latest poll on their Facebook Page is to judge interest in a SFSP set.... which when I responded wasn't getting massive enthusiasm. Seems an odd choice to make a set in a livery introduced briefly in anticipation of a failed merger? As folk were suggesting on FB what they really need is some new and different models.
    There are payware providers other than SLI/TS, and each one has seemed to settle on a niche. No vendor should be expected to be everything to everyone, especially since nobody is making a killing on payware for a nearly 20 year old sim.

SLI/TS has, for the most part, has usually concentrated more on the modern era than anything else. The GP9 sets were outliers for SLI when they came out. I don't think they went over as well as was anticipated for whatever reason, and SLI/TS has steered clear of that era since.

If you want 1st generation stuff, BLW is *the* place to look. Early GPs, Fs (and CF7s too), RDCs, ALCOs, Baldwins, even a Baldwin Centipede, though I recall that being a limited thing, and don't know if it's still available.

DW offers a good lineup of U-Boats, B-Boats, and C-Boats - from U25Cs all the way up to C44-9s, in addition to a wide variety of EMD models.

SLI/TS offers the more modern stuff (geneally speaking) from 1980 on up.

It seems like most eras are covered, and covered fairly well. Would it be neat to see something like a H-24-66 Train Master? Absolutely, but given the sim's age, we're probably lucky that stuff is still being produced. The fact that a 19 year old sim is still getting new payware offerings from time to time is actually pretty amazing.

Kevin I've been around the Sim since year one so I certainly don't need a who's who of payware and I doubt anyone still reading this thread does either. BTW you missed some significant ones out

I've always thought that the one thing that has KEPT these Sims going is the fact that there is a mixture of payware and freeware. The lack of freeware is a major flaw in the newer Sims IMO. The reality is that producing long high detailed routes for trainsimulators was never going to be a worthwhile payware project and the fact that many freeware routes are better than some payware ones is testament to that. Look at the DTG forums and read the groans about another just 40 mile stretch of a route.... It's why I'm still sticking with MSTS and OR.

I must pull you up on one statement.

Diesels West may be available to a few but to most folk it's dead and gone. I understand there are reasons for this BUT those of you who do have access MUST stop insisting the stuff is available. I'd be delighted if it were to become available again and there was a dialogue about how some of the stuff was packaged and sold (or not sold only bonus models). I hear that there are reasons this isn't likely to happen anytime soon so there's now a huge gap in the library for early GE stuff.

SLI certainly covered a good deal more pre 1980's stuff than you give them credit for. It's just no longer available. They're amongst the older models and I have most of them.

There are in the library some excellent models of some of the rarer North American locos... BUT folk newer to the hobby don't realise that under pre-BIN MSTS there were strict limits to the levels of detail that even the best modeller could achieve and still have the model run in the Sim.

There are TWO types of NEW? There's NEW as in never before modelled or skinned in that livery.
    ...and there's NEW as in a newer state of the art model of something already modelled in lower detail and with 512x512 .aces.

For instance there are freeware models of quite a few Baldwins, Fairbanks Morse etc. but they could all be modelled better now and to greater detail.

As for any producer "steering clear" of an era or manufacturer? Well I would point out that there are few MAJOR "overheads" in this hobby except TIME? A quote from one of my favourite films "If you build it they will come..."
    Geoff
    UK

I think we should be thankful that Chris and the rest at TS are still with us and offering to the community. I think the best thing about SLI/TS was the very generious repaint policy they still have. It is nice to hear chris that you do have some U boats in work and for many of us that is welcxoming news to hear.

I look forwards to the Sandpatch trainset due to the fact I hope we have a classic GP-35 and GP-38 and some SD-35 added to it.
    I think many would like some classic SD-35 SD-38 SD-40. These were the first 6 axle units. Maybe a classic DD-35 would work as well.

right now I have my eye on the New mullan route but I might forgo that for the Rock Island set which I really like. Maybe Chris you could do a transition era IC/ICG set.

I know the new Rock units will work great for MoPac and MKT.

Talking about SLI, are there any SLI SD50s I can buy?

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMaster8010 View Post
    Talking about SLI, are there any SLI SD50s I can buy?
    I think there is some SD50 in some of the sets I think the CSX coal trains has a SD50 with it. But they no longer have the SD50 sets and there was 2 diffrent sets.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    I think we should be thankful that Chris and the rest at TS are still with us and offering to the community. I think the best thing about SLI/TS was the very generious repaint policy they still have.
    Michelle considering that all MSTS payware providers in the UK died once the newer Sims arrived we are indeed lucky to have new quality products still being created.

THE ISSUE, that started this thread is that the repaint policy has been scuppered by withdrawal of some of the old models? A solution might be that these older models (many folk won't touch them because of the "wheels issue") could be made available as freeware? or even better for a Charity donation? Sadly quite a few repaints in the library now have unavailable base models. This is in part due to the many variations to some locomotive types that SLI produced.

Assuming that all current Trainsimulations stuff is based on the improved models that were released after the BNSF Scenic Route (?) these older models are lacking in detail by comparison. I'd have thought that as a promotion for interest in the new sets this would work in their favour in the same way the reskin policy did.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    I look forwards to the Sandpatch trainset due to the fact I hope we have a classic GP-35 and GP-38 and some SD-35 added to it.
    I think many would like some classic SD-35 SD-38 SD-40. These were the first 6 axle units. Maybe a classic DD-35 would work as well.
    I must have missed the news of the Sandpatch trainset? Was that on Facebook or a thread I missed here?

I think you're right about the 2nd generation diesels. AND lets not forget earlier rolling stock than in the current offer? Whilst the nature of freight changed and therefore the wagon changed too many old box cars survived. There are enough variations of 50' box cars to make a pack alone! The reskin opportunities that would provide should guarantee sales? Early TOFC flats are another hole in the catalogue too.
    Geoff
    UK

Well here the thing Geoff I am working on a rebuild program for the older units parker Boots has been very helpful building FA that add missing items to the orginal. Hence part of my GP 35 Program. Malte has been helping me as well with this program. So there is 3 of us trying to fill in some gaps.

As for SLI stopping the older content I was baffled too but maybe chris and the rest at TS will bring them back in a mega pack for all.

Chris posted some sneaky photos of the NEW Sandpatch set on the forum.

But your right I would like some diffrent stock some 40 ft Hi cube cars would be great. Some classic U boats Early SD units and some classic 3 bay covered hoppers with round hood hatches. the only other thing I know we need is a classic GP38 and GP 35 rebuild for the east coast since the fueling assembly is diffrent than the SF GP35. I knoiw SLI/Ts made a 40 foot box car for one of the CP or CN sets as a grain car so I know there is a good base for some excellent 40 ft cars.

But I am happy with what we get and leave it at that.

Interestingly I just visited the Facebook page for Trainsimulations.

Now this ain't Trainsimulations fault you must understand! Those of you who use Facebook know just what a flaky platform it is. Posts you view and then come back to seem to have vapourised into thin air! items you just viewed are still flagged as new posts? Sharing stuff seems to have about half a dozen options etc.etc.

SO it was with some surprise that I found a whole lot of info on their FB page (which despite me being shown as "following") I'd received no new post alerts to. The lack of alerts had lead me to believe that there wasn't much activity? WRONG!

Amongst recent polls were two that I thought significant to the debate here. One poll on there about Fallen Flags vs. Modern Class 1's. showed a 36% interest in Class 1 roads against a 64% interest in Fallen Flags

A second "
    do you guys prefer modern stuff (GEVO's, SD70ACe's etc.) or more of the older stuff (SD45, GP38-2's, C30-7's)?"
    showed 39% Modern against 61% Older stuff

I also found, quite a way back a reference to the Sandpatch Route ....but apart from a few screengrabs little detail.

Just out of interest, and so we've a slightly less impersonal take on this who are the team members working on their stuff? There's no information that I could see on the Facebook Page.
    Geoff
    UK