Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about old SLI set.

Question Question about old SLI set.

To any of you that's been around long enough, did Streamlines EVER do any locomotives sets with Southern units? If so, I sure don't remember them but yet I'm instructed to use a shape file from a Southern GP9 for another model.

Yes. There was a pair of Southern GP9s in one of their Geep sets.

Yes they did an EMD GP9 Pack. It contained 9 different railroad sets of GP9s of which one of the sets was a SOUTHERN.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman_47 View Post
    To any of you that's been around long enough, did Streamlines EVER do any locomotives sets with Southern units? If so, I sure don't remember them but yet I'm instructed to use a shape file from a Southern GP9 for another model.
    Is That Sceeters Chessie Geeps? I ask as the one peculiarity of the Southern GP9 SLI did was a high nose mounted Bell.

BTW just found a thread from Aug 2018 where someone posted a link to where the complete pack could be purchase. Sadly the link is now dead. Don't get why this was pulled? Trainsimulations have moved progressively more modern in what they offer. The Geeps were the oldest loco they ever released. Seems daft when the opportunities for reskins are wider before the US ended up with the big four roads? Free reskins MUST have bought them sales?

Their latest poll on their Facebook Page is to judge interest in a SFSP set.... which when I responded wasn't getting massive enthusiasm. Seems an odd choice to make a set in a livery introduced briefly in anticipation of a failed merger? As folk were suggesting on FB what they really need is some new and different models.
    Last edited by lateagain; 05-19-2020 at 03:52 AM.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Trainsimulations have moved progressively more modern in what they offer. The Geeps were the oldest loco they ever released. Seems daft when the opportunities for reskins are wider before the US ended up with the big four roads? Free reskins MUST have bought them sales?

Their latest poll on their Facebook Page is to judge interest in a SFSP set.... which when I responded wasn't getting massive enthusiasm. Seems an odd choice to make a set in a livery introduced briefly in anticipation of a failed merger? As folk were suggesting on FB what they really need is some new and different models.
    Hi Geoff,

In regards to specifically SPSF: for one, it was just a question, no work had or has begun on an SPSF set to my knowledge. Isn't it a good thing that a payware company is seeking some amount of input from the community?

Also, the SPSF "episode" is perhaps not as tiny as you may think. While the merger itself was quickly shot down in 1986, "kodachrome" painted power lingered well into the early to mid 1990's, especially on SP which tended to repaint their power more slowly than ATSF.

P.S. Keep in mind, absolutely nobody is making a living off selling ORTS products right now - not even close. So the remaining payware providers are more often than not going to gravitate to making what personally interests them.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Hi Geoff,

In regards to specifically SPSF: for one, it was just a question, no work had or has begun on an SPSF set to my knowledge. Isn't it a good thing that a payware company is seeking some amount of input from the community?
    ??? Where ya been Sean? It's not like there hasn't bee quite a bit of "input" from the Community? The FB page just happened to pop up when I was on there the other day. Seemed a weird place to ask the question IMO... but hey....

Also, the SPSF "episode" is perhaps not as tiny as you may think. While the merger itself was quickly shot down in 1986, "kodachrome" painted power lingered well into the early to mid 1990's, especially on SP which tended to repaint their power more slowly than ATSF.
    I guess most of us know that but although that might seem like a long time compared say with Penn Central, it's decades ago for all the Gevo fans that sli/ts has been focusing on and too late for folk interested in earlier stuff? In any case it's just another reskin job isn't it?

P.S. Keep in mind, absolutely nobody is making a living off selling ORTS products right now - not even close. So the remaining payware providers are more often than not going to gravitate to making what personally interests them.
    I think the biggest issue there is "making stuff"? One of SLI's strong points was it's repaint policy? Then many of the models that repaints were based on were withdrawn! Then a lot of older stuff was rebundled that meant folk had to buy twice some stuff they already had? Now nobody has to justify ANY of that to me. But if I were trainsimulations I'd maybe sit back and look at a few ot the points I've made? If they come up with a set that interest me I'll buy it, same as I bought a lot of the older stuff. Head on back to the 1960's and you might just find more custom.

But methinks there's more to why the old stuff was pulled than's in the public domain? I stand to be corrected on that but it's a move that rather defies logic on the face of it?
    Geoff
    UK

But would you really buy the set??? I mean it would be for Open Rails only, and you have no problem telling anyone who will listen (and more than a few who won't) that you don't want to switch to Open Rails.

Did something change?

Geoff,

??? Where ya been Sean? It's not like there hasn't bee quite a bit of "input" from the Community?
    I never said there hasn't been. I only said, I don't see why there is any problem with a company asking for input from customers.

The Facebook page is a group of several hundred people specifically interested in TrainSimulations products. Seems like a pretty appropriate place to ask for input to me.

I guess most of us know that but although that might seem like a long time compared say with Penn Central, it's decades ago for all the Gevo fans that sli/ts has been focusing on and too late for folk interested in earlier stuff?
    The posts from both myself and Chris over the past few months, including about the upcoming Rock Island pack, my in-development SP Shasta Route, the posts about Sandpatch and an SP Lordsburg route on the TS Facebook page, the fallen flags poll and SPSF polls on the FB page, etc. etc. etc., all seem to me like evidence that TS is not interested in focusing on only "Gevo fans". It seems that you are questioning why TS is not diversifying to different eras. But when there is evidence that we are, you are discontent that it is not the specific era that you are most interested in, the 1960's. I assure you there are hundreds of people in our community that are interested in 80's and 90's railroading.
    Last edited by PerryPlatypus; 05-19-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

I think there is a fairly close number of younger people vs. older interested in our hobby. I fall into the older category but I like the modern content as much as anyone. I do get to missing the variety we had back in my day regarding paint schemes and locomotive models. I tend to get on these kicks where I like (and run) the older stuff but it's pretty sad at the lack of updated newer models available. In my recent search for older content, I've come to realize there is A LOT of models in the file library that are excellent reskins but if you don't have the needed shape file, there worthless! With that said, I do NOT understand why Trainsimulations can not at least offer ALL the older Streamlines content if they don't intend to ever release models (or paint schemes) we can't have over a shape file. I'm looking forward to the Rock Island set as much as the next person but how many times can you rehash the SD40-2 and (or) GP40? If in fact there are any individuals left at TM that can actually build new models, I would like to suggest older GE U-boat series. That opens a door wide open for MANY futures releases!

Quote Originally Posted by tarrant75 View Post
    But would you really buy the set??? I mean it would be for Open Rails only, and you have no problem telling anyone who will listen (and more than a few who won't) that you don't want to switch to Open Rails.

Did something change?
    Don't know who that post was aimed at Chris but personally I run both MSTS AND Open Rails, and nowadays usually only use MSTS for routes where OR physics issues make stock unusable. I also use AE when I want to test stuff. 90+% of US stuff runs fine in OR but I've a good deal of UK stuff that many your side of the pond may have no interest in (?) that doesn't.
    Geoff
    UK