Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Question about old SLI set.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .Texas
    Posts
    1,267

    Question Question about old SLI set.

    To any of you that's been around long enough, did Streamlines EVER do any locomotives sets with Southern units? If so, I sure don't remember them but yet I'm instructed to use a shape file from a Southern GP9 for another model.

  2. #2

    Default

    Yes. There was a pair of Southern GP9s in one of their Geep sets.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chalmette, Louisiana
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Yes they did an EMD GP9 Pack. It contained 9 different railroad sets of GP9s of which one of the sets was a SOUTHERN.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman_47 View Post
    To any of you that's been around long enough, did Streamlines EVER do any locomotives sets with Southern units? If so, I sure don't remember them but yet I'm instructed to use a shape file from a Southern GP9 for another model.
    Is That Sceeters Chessie Geeps? I ask as the one peculiarity of the Southern GP9 SLI did was a high nose mounted Bell.

    BTW just found a thread from Aug 2018 where someone posted a link to where the complete pack could be purchase. Sadly the link is now dead. Don't get why this was pulled? Trainsimulations have moved progressively more modern in what they offer. The Geeps were the oldest loco they ever released. Seems daft when the opportunities for reskins are wider before the US ended up with the big four roads? Free reskins MUST have bought them sales?

    Their latest poll on their Facebook Page is to judge interest in a SFSP set.... which when I responded wasn't getting massive enthusiasm. Seems an odd choice to make a set in a livery introduced briefly in anticipation of a failed merger? As folk were suggesting on FB what they really need is some new and different models.
    Last edited by lateagain; 05-19-2020 at 03:52 AM.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Post Falls, ID
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Trainsimulations have moved progressively more modern in what they offer. The Geeps were the oldest loco they ever released. Seems daft when the opportunities for reskins are wider before the US ended up with the big four roads? Free reskins MUST have bought them sales?

    Their latest poll on their Facebook Page is to judge interest in a SFSP set.... which when I responded wasn't getting massive enthusiasm. Seems an odd choice to make a set in a livery introduced briefly in anticipation of a failed merger? As folk were suggesting on FB what they really need is some new and different models.
    Hi Geoff,

    In regards to specifically SPSF: for one, it was just a question, no work had or has begun on an SPSF set to my knowledge. Isn't it a good thing that a payware company is seeking some amount of input from the community?

    Also, the SPSF "episode" is perhaps not as tiny as you may think. While the merger itself was quickly shot down in 1986, "kodachrome" painted power lingered well into the early to mid 1990's, especially on SP which tended to repaint their power more slowly than ATSF.

    P.S. Keep in mind, absolutely nobody is making a living off selling ORTS products right now - not even close. So the remaining payware providers are more often than not going to gravitate to making what personally interests them.
    ~Sean Kelly~

    MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Hi Geoff,

    In regards to specifically SPSF: for one, it was just a question, no work had or has begun on an SPSF set to my knowledge. Isn't it a good thing that a payware company is seeking some amount of input from the community?
    ??? Where ya been Sean? It's not like there hasn't bee quite a bit of "input" from the Community? The FB page just happened to pop up when I was on there the other day. Seemed a weird place to ask the question IMO... but hey....

    Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Also, the SPSF "episode" is perhaps not as tiny as you may think. While the merger itself was quickly shot down in 1986, "kodachrome" painted power lingered well into the early to mid 1990's, especially on SP which tended to repaint their power more slowly than ATSF.
    I guess most of us know that but although that might seem like a long time compared say with Penn Central, it's decades ago for all the Gevo fans that sli/ts has been focusing on and too late for folk interested in earlier stuff? In any case it's just another reskin job isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    P.S. Keep in mind, absolutely nobody is making a living off selling ORTS products right now - not even close. So the remaining payware providers are more often than not going to gravitate to making what personally interests them.
    I think the biggest issue there is "making stuff"? One of SLI's strong points was it's repaint policy? Then many of the models that repaints were based on were withdrawn! Then a lot of older stuff was rebundled that meant folk had to buy twice some stuff they already had? Now nobody has to justify ANY of that to me. But if I were trainsimulations I'd maybe sit back and look at a few ot the points I've made? If they come up with a set that interest me I'll buy it, same as I bought a lot of the older stuff. Head on back to the 1960's and you might just find more custom.

    But methinks there's more to why the old stuff was pulled than's in the public domain? I stand to be corrected on that but it's a move that rather defies logic on the face of it?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brough UK
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    I think we should be thankful that Chris and the rest at TS are still with us and offering to the community. I think the best thing about SLI/TS was the very generious repaint policy they still have. It is nice to hear chris that you do have some U boats in work and for many of us that is welcxoming news to hear.

    I look forwards to the Sandpatch trainset due to the fact I hope we have a classic GP-35 and GP-38 and some SD-35 added to it.
    I think many would like some classic SD-35 SD-38 SD-40. These were the first 6 axle units. Maybe a classic DD-35 would work as well.

    right now I have my eye on the New mullan route but I might forgo that for the Rock Island set which I really like. Maybe Chris you could do a transition era IC/ICG set.

    I know the new Rock units will work great for MoPac and MKT.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Talking about SLI, are there any SLI SD50s I can buy?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brough UK
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrainMaster8010 View Post
    Talking about SLI, are there any SLI SD50s I can buy?
    I think there is some SD50 in some of the sets I think the CSX coal trains has a SD50 with it. But they no longer have the SD50 sets and there was 2 diffrent sets.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset, U.K.
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    I think we should be thankful that Chris and the rest at TS are still with us and offering to the community. I think the best thing about SLI/TS was the very generious repaint policy they still have.
    Michelle considering that all MSTS payware providers in the UK died once the newer Sims arrived we are indeed lucky to have new quality products still being created.

    THE ISSUE, that started this thread is that the repaint policy has been scuppered by withdrawal of some of the old models? A solution might be that these older models (many folk won't touch them because of the "wheels issue") could be made available as freeware? or even better for a Charity donation? Sadly quite a few repaints in the library now have unavailable base models. This is in part due to the many variations to some locomotive types that SLI produced.

    Assuming that all current Trainsimulations stuff is based on the improved models that were released after the BNSF Scenic Route (?) these older models are lacking in detail by comparison. I'd have thought that as a promotion for interest in the new sets this would work in their favour in the same way the reskin policy did.

    Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    I look forwards to the Sandpatch trainset due to the fact I hope we have a classic GP-35 and GP-38 and some SD-35 added to it.
    I think many would like some classic SD-35 SD-38 SD-40. These were the first 6 axle units. Maybe a classic DD-35 would work as well.
    I must have missed the news of the Sandpatch trainset? Was that on Facebook or a thread I missed here?

    I think you're right about the 2nd generation diesels. AND lets not forget earlier rolling stock than in the current offer? Whilst the nature of freight changed and therefore the wagon changed too many old box cars survived. There are enough variations of 50' box cars to make a pack alone! The reskin opportunities that would provide should guarantee sales? Early TOFC flats are another hole in the catalogue too.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •