Thread: Not saying Open Rails Testing version did this....but....

Default Not saying Open Rails Testing version did this....but....

Last Thursday, I opened OR Testing Version to run an activity.....I notice that an update was available so I clicked to do the update. about 2 minutes into the update, there was a power issue and my computer rebooted.. When I got back to OR, or more specifically tried to get back to open rails I was denied. "could not find the file", so I opened file explorer and went to the F: drive where open rails is loaded, and which ever directory I clicked on, the system would crash. When I rebooted this time, it asked me to do a "CHKDSK" on the F: drive. Which failed because it said it was in a "RAW" state and could not access file structure. Only the F: Drive was affected, the others are fine. I downloaded a program called M3 Data Recovery and tried to "fix" the "raw" drive. After 64 hours, the system rebooted. the chkdsk message did not appear. I'm now trying to recover all the files on the F: Drive. Hopefully that will finish sometime today, so I can reformat the F: Drive.

Is this an artifact of a "failed" update??? I'm not blaming OR, but it's suspicious.

This sounds similar to the issue I previously had last year with the big Windows update (1903?). My PC could not read or run any programs off the secondary drive. I even bought a new HDD thinking the disc itself had failed but the problem persisted, In the end I had to rollback the update to fix the situation. However that issue was subsequently fixed by MS, as when I ran it a few months later the problem did not reoccur.

Not sure if this helps but it might be worth looking wider than just OR.
    Vern.

thanks, I'm looking into that also.....Windows did an update...and I'm checking the logs of when it did what....

Sounds like a power blip happened during disk write. Who knows what was corrupted.