Thread: What is the best train sim where I don't have to buy DLC.

Default What is the best train sim where I don't have to buy DLC.

I asked yesterday about any free train sims but the one I saw didn't seem that good, so I was wondering, are there any train sims where I don't need any DLC? I'm talking about one with all the routes in the US, some heavy trains (I don't know much about trains, sorry if that term is incorrect) and some passenger trains. Are there any games that fit that criteria? I don't want to spend $10000 on DLC just so I can enjoy a game I've already bought.

Open Rails with TSRE and content from here and Elvas Tower.
    Takes a bit of skullduggery to get some things to work but that's half of the fun.

Randy

Depending on the routes though, you may still need MSTS for some of the core files and global objects.

Why not buy an older version of Trainz? TANE can be picked up on Steam for less than £20, TS12 for less than that.

Diesel Railcar Simulator, which now includes loco hauled services, can be had for £14.

None of the above could be considered as mega expensive - it always amuses me when people want something for nothing, yet they are posting from a PC which probably cost upward of £600 to buy and an internet service which generally costs between £30 - £50 a month...

Failing that there is BVE and OpenBVE which has a fair selection of routes and motive power if you do a bit of searching.
    Vern.

To answer your question OP, more information is helpful as train sims are niche and quite particular to the user's tastes:
    1. What sort of trains/locations are you interested in (you have said US heavy freight and passenger)
    2. How important are shiny graphics to you/how powerful is your PC?
    3. How savvy are you at working with files and such within your PC?
    4. How hardcore/detailed do you want the simulator to be?

You have some good suggestions already, mine would possibly be Run8 (depending on your answers), since the base version (USD $50) includes a large amount of space to drive and things to do, provides both US freight and passenger service, and everything else is entirely optional. You don't need any of the additional route expansion DLCs if you don't want them, and the developers provide generic placeholder versions of all the rolling stock that you don't want to buy so you're never locked out of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    None of the above could be considered as mega expensive - it always amuses me when people want something for nothing, yet they are posting from a PC which probably cost upward of £600 to buy and an internet service which generally costs between £30 - £50 a month...
    Train Simulator 20XX has become practically a meme with ignorant Steam users who are conditioned (often from console gaming) to buying every single piece of DLC for their games, even if it's skins or horse armour. So then they find TS20XX's page and see that it's CAD $11,660 to own every piece of content for it. Fear of missing out on the complete experience/lack of experience with simulators leads to the conclusion that you have to own everything and it's crazy and anyone who plays it is crazy. They're fortunate to have never encountered the entire sub industry that produced add-ons for MS Flight Simulator for decades, and the incalculable amount of money it would cost to have owned all of those!

I still remember paying crazy prices for the Level D 767 and the PMDG MD11!
    Vern.