Thread: Road shapes and the tsection file

Default Road shapes and the tsection file

I noticed the current tsection file no longer contains the definitions for the trackshape section. I wanted to review that before building some roads that are slightly arched, not flat. IOW the path would not be at zero elevation. I figure that needs to be reflected in the tsection file but I do want to verify that before I start adding lines to the tsection file.

I noticed that Okrasa Ghia's web pages are gone. They used to have info about track shapes. And it doesn't appear that KUJU documented this matter, at least not in any of the documentation files I've kept.

So does anyone know the answer? Or have the lines the tsection file used to have that describes what to do w/ track sections?
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Dave,

The current Tsection.dat files have some strange issues alright. Enough so, that I've suspended anymore Xtracks builds beyond the one I released already.

The pages you seek are here, https://www.nklj.se/xtracks/

Not gone. But not updated in ages now.

Robert

Hi Gents,

I have checked:-

Default MSTS install tsection,
    tsection 38
    tsection 54

The same detail is there for tracksections and trackshapes?
    Cheers
    Derek

We do need to be careful. I am using a release later than 38, but not 54 and have no
    problems. I regularly use X-tracks, Kuju, and M-tracks in routes, as well as NewRoads,
    but I have not used ScaleRails.

J. H. Sullivan

Found it! Thank you.

The information I'm looking for is about this portion of the track spec:

SectionIdx ( 2 0 0 0 0 190 188 ) - ( NumSections,
    Vector Offset of section start from shape origin (x, y, z),
    Angle offset of section start from shape origin (about y axis),
    section indices in order)
    What I'm trying to understand is what happens when the road shape is arched, just like real roads are. It looks like I need to be fiddling with the y value, first to reflect the road is elevated above the origin point (to leave room for the arch) and second, maybe the angle offset, which is 2%.

I'll fiddle and see how it turns out.

FWIW I'm doing something quite different besides the above, I'm specifying a handful of generic, falsely textured road shapes to do the initial placement and path definition and then substituting the shape name I want to display in the world file, which replaces the generic shape I started with. That let's me minimize the number of entries I need to create in the tsection file as well as let me swap in and out any number of unique appearances w/o any of the changes editing the .rdb.

I did an analysis of several routes and concluded I could get by with as few as 10 shape files per appearance by using several shapes to produce the length of run I need and then count on Open Rails instancing to render all identical shapes in one rendering step. I'm using final shapes textured for asphalt, cobblestone, concrete, gravel, and streetcar.

The generic shapes are all 21ft wide which is a quite common slow speed width to create the "fast" lanes and then using static shapes to finish the rest -- gutter, curb, parkway, and sidewalk. If I need more than 2 lanes I can use static shapes for those or another set of generic, path creating shapes. This lets me lay down center paving suitable for street cars and then chose later on whether the slow lanes are also cobblestone, or concrete, or asphalt.

So the whole library is 10 center lanes, middle lanes, and slow lanes times 8 appearances -- generic, asphalt, cobblestone, concrete, gravel, and streetcar (less a few because not all make sense to include).
    Last edited by muskokaandtahoe; 05-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Dave Nelson

Just to be clear, it's 30 shapes defined in the tsection file and 110 others for display. My guess is if I did this the old fashioned way I'd need to make somewhere between 300-350 shapes, all of which would have to be defined in the tsection file.
    Dave Nelson