Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more than one profile/config - possible?

Default more than one profile/config - possible?

I use different programs.

At least two of the programs that I use support profiles/configs.

They are FireFox and BzFlag.

Is it possible to have more than profile/config for Open Rails?

Please and thank you.
    Last edited by trpted; 05-21-2020 at 03:51 PM.

You can use different folders with different versions of Open Rails. By default, Open Rails reads and writes its settings to the registry, but if you create an empty text file in one directory and rename it "openrails.ini", the settings for that installation will be saved and read in that file instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    You can use different folders with different versions of Open Rails. By default, Open Rails reads and writes its settings to the registry, but if you create an empty text file in one directory and rename it "openrails.ini", the settings for that installation will be saved and read in that file instead.
    That is great to hear/read.

However one more question.

If one installed the program to C:\Program Files or to C:\Program Files (x86) , how do you tell it to update that file?

Please and thank you.

What file do you mean?
    The Open Rails updater installs updates into the same directory it is started from, that means if you want to update a specific installation, you have to run the OpenRails.exe from that folder and, if an update is available, click on the text in the upper right corner to install it.
    If you meant the openrails.ini file, OpenRails should automatically recognize it, but you have to change the settings to your own liking yourself.

Hi trpted,
    If one installed the program to C:\Program Files or to C:\Program Files (x86) , how do you tell it to update that file?

Although Open Rails might work correctly, I recommend that you DO NOT use either of those locations!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi trpted,
    Although Open Rails might work correctly, I recommend that you DO NOT use either of those locations!!

Cheers,
    Ged

[/COLOR]
    While I did not install MSTS into those locations.

#1 Why not open rails?

#2 What is wrong with these installing programs into those locations? MSFS 2002 worked in one those two locations better than C:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator

MSTS is known to have problems when writing to these folders.

I have ALWAYS installed games to my D drive to get away from M$ protected folders, and to share the i/o load.
    Even today I have 2 ssd's in my system, one for the OS and one for all of my MSTS/OR files.
    Cheers
    Derek

Tell me more about M$ protected folders issue.

Please and thank you

Let us try this again

I found with Google with program files protected this info at https://superuser.com/questions/1031...files-director

Applications written with the assumption that the user will be running with administrator privileges experienced problems in earlier versions of Windows when run from limited user accounts, often because they attempted to write to machine-wide or system directories (such as Program Files) or registry keys (notably HKLM). UAC attempts to alleviate this using File and Registry Virtualization, which redirects writes (and subsequent reads) to a per-user location within the user’s profile. For example, if an application attempts to write to “C:\program files\appname\settings.ini” and the user doesn’t have permissions to write to that directory, the write will get redirected to “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pr ogram Files\appname\settings.ini”.
    Why can't OR do that for more than one profile?

Note I have C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Open_Rails\

but in there I have only Contrib.TrackViewer.exe_Url_dr4kjm5nwja51532xqfb1i kbwloymrbu\0.0.6926.28126\user.config

File+Full Path

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Open_Rails\Contrib .TrackViewer.exe_Url_dr4kjm5nwja51532xqfb1ikbwloym rbu\0.0.6926.28126\user.config

Please and thank you