Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New person over here!

Default New person over here!

Good evening/morning/afternoon,

I’ve been observing run8 for quite some time now and it’s quite clear it’s far ahead in terms of realism compared to the other rail sims out there.

So I’m going to take the plunge. I have a few questions before I do though, and I’d really appreciate any assistance.

So first off, and perhaps the biggest question of all from me is: purpose, I find train sim frustrating at times because I do a scenario, and that’s it, end of story. I’d absolutely love it if I can log on, have a chat with the dispatcher and he says run this train on the main to wherever, because that’s where it needs to be. Essentially limitless play, that’s dynamic and basically has a purpose!

Also, I’ll be completely honest here, I’m not particularly familiar with US railroading ops. I’ve done my research but ultimately I think the best way to learn is observe and get stuck in with somebody who knows what they’re doing. Are there any servers that will help me along and show me the ropes?

Thanks people,

Ainsley

Ainsley, it seems pretty clear to me that you want multiplayer, so you've chosen the most suitable train-sim for that mode.....even tho' I am a solo-player by preference.

If you browse the threads in this (Run 8) forum you will come across a wealth of information and I am also sure that there are those who will see your post and offer their advice.

In the meantime, this site is excellent........
    https://www.thedepotserver.com/
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks for the reply seagoon. I’ll begin trawling my way through. Funnily enough I’m currently stuck at sea, can’t travel home with what’s going on in the world so time is something I have lots of!

Welcome to the Run8 Ainsley. Take the plunge and join the Depot forum as suggested by Seagoon. US train operation is much like anywhere else and there are many guys from all over the world participating. Hone train operation skills by practicing in single player by taking a heavy train up & down Tehachapi without a broken knuckle (train pulling apart) while maintaining the speed limits. Lots of help & encouragement is available at The Depot and they maintain a server for practice. Once you have the skills to get er' over the hill and have basic knowledge of overall rail operation, Depot+ is just the place you're looking for. It is well run and at any given time there are 50+ road trains, locals, and plant operations available for running or switching and with so many stuck at home (or on a ship in your case) Depot+ has never been busier. English is not required for general operations as communication between player and dispatcher(s) (should there be one) can be voice or text. In addition, there are most always dispatch positions available at Depot+ which can be fun & fast paced but does require speaking and understanding English as the servers are US based.

Quote Originally Posted by ainsdcfc View Post
    .......I’m currently stuck at sea, can’t travel home with what’s going on in the world so time is something I have lots of!
    That's most unfortunate; living as I do in Australia, where we are relatively isolated and the situation has been well-governed, I feel for those in lesser circumstances.

Have fun with run 8.....I am sure that you will enjoy it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Guess I had a touch of the O'l brain gas earlier in the day. Anyways, posting here as well, may be of interest.

Welcome Ainsley,

Another important part of the so called community.

https://www.highballrun8.com/
    They maintain a great following, most of the time, 10+ members operating at any given time.
    They also maintain both Forums & Facebook.

There are other smaller groups out there, though becoming harder & harder to locate.

Do checkout Martin's CA-based 24/7-server as well
    https://safricatrainsim.freeforums.net/
    He be looking for new members / R8 hired hands to operate with. A wonderful experience for sure.

Once the Run8 bug has bitten deep, &, wallet allows, NY Mohawk/Selkirk 24/7-ops may be of interest
    in which case, do visit Smiley's server at
    https://fandtrailsim.freeforums.net/

Regardless, even if you don't have a route, &, or, wish to partake, don't be afraid to join in at any of the remaining servers / forums.

Good Luck, &, Again, Welcome

Sorry I didn't acknowledge other excellent Run8 server and forum hosts including many in other countries. Good luck!

While fresh on the O'l noggin.

Smiley of the NY based server operates Florida route (Waycross-GA / SouthEast-FL) in SP-mode due to lack of interest from outside world it seems. Shooting the breeze with Smiley off & on, believe should others express heartfelt interest via any means at their disposal, 24/7 may become reality. This great region certainly could use the love of the community, alongside the other regions.

May be of interest to know
    Smiley's NY server hales from New Zealand.
    Martin's CA server hales from S. Africa.

"The More You Know", "Food For Thought". lol...
    Last edited by SMRY; 05-22-2020 at 07:20 PM.

The depot could be a good fit for you, but there are other options as well. In fact I would suggest trying them all.

Depot and Highball I believe are going to require teamspeak these days, but that may work well especially when learning. I know I was fortunate enough to have Dale talk me through my first train runs. Remember that one Dale where I ran out of control the 1st time heading down Mojave Starting on a hill can be challenging, but once you get through the learning curve it is a very rewarding experience. By far the best train simulator on the planet.

The southwest server can be found through https://southwestrailsim.freeforums.net/ and was built on the original RTS server I started from the beginning of Run8. They are a smaller group, but are 24/7 and a good bunch of guys who may be able to assist in a smaller numbers environment. Perhaps less intimidating, but again try them all.

I wish I can assist further but I'm personally enjoying Trainz these days. it is not the best train simulator for physics and operation, but I'm still finding the sandbox modes I had in Run8. I'm also finding the learning curve steeper in many ways regarding the guts of the program and the modifying you can accomplish.

Regardless, I'll always highly recommend Run8 as an experience that will be well worth you money and last for many years to come.

Thanks

Sean

BTW you may need to dig but at the links below and my YouTube you may find some good tutorials for a few years ago. At least open to some of the things you can do in Run8 etc.

Thanks

Sean