Thread: Great news for route builders ! !

Smile Great news for route builders ! !

When I first started building the Siskiyou Route I would download DEM files (files containing the necessary terrain data) from various places and then using DEMEX, loaded them in to create my terrain.

Then, it seems like overnight, things changed and finding DEMs in the SDTS format and 10 meter 7.5 minute became impossible. Sites that I had links to disappeared. Sites like even the USGS site no longer had DEMs in that format. They changed to a different format which left us route designers pretty much high and dry.

Part of what I have been doing over the past few years (besides building the Siskiyou Route) is continually trying to find a source for the "old" DEMs... Every site that I went to simply told me that they were no longer available. But, as those who know me, I seldom let words like "it's impossible" stop me from trying. I don't give up easily.

Well, after years of searching... I was directed by one person to another person, and from them to someone else... until finally I came into contact with what was said to be "one of two people" who have access to an archive containing the exact DEMs that I have been searching for. I was immediately on my best behavior... and after several emails, this person agreed to help me out. Not only help me out, but to provide we with ALL OF THE DEMs for the United States.

I told no one about this... I had to make sure that it was really going to happen. This person attached a DEM to an email for a location in Oregon that I still had from past years... They were identical.

I ordered a couple of 500 Gigabyte thumb drives and had them delivered to their address. We kept in communication and then last Monday I received one of the thumb drives in the mail with almost all of the DEMs for the United States... We're still making sure that things are complete. Over 42,000 DEM files... Over 90 Gigs of files!

If you want to know more about this please visit the "News" page on http://www.siskurail.org

Yes, these are the same DEMs that load directly into DEMEX... It will still take hours of work to make them available, but they are definitely on the way!

.... "Happy days are here again"
    "FREE is a very good price!"

Bless you Dale.

This is something really need quite badly.

Robert

I've been asked why it will take days to make the DEMs available. I posted an answer to that on http://www.siskurail.org ... Go to the News page...
    "FREE is a very good price!"

Dale,

On a related subject. With a route this large and detailed, you are bound to have had some issues
    with crashes, database errors etc. I assume you are using TSRE by now, and what, Win-10. I
    seem to encounter those issues on much less complex routes, so have you been able to fix them,
    and if so, you might want to start a tab on the website about what happened, and a outline of
    what it took to fix it, etc.

J. H. Sullivan
    Florida

That is definitely great news. I'd be interested in getting some Ohio files when they become available as I am planning a couple of Ohio route projects, or at least in the thinking stage currently. No rush though.
    M. Payne