Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the Maine Central Railroad

Default Back to the Maine Central Railroad

I'm sure as many know, I did a full pack of the Maine Central Phase 1, GP38 set a long time ago. Well, with a overhaul of a major project I started prior.. It has gotten me back to painting some Maine Central equipment. For now, I am tinkering on some of the GP7's using the SLI/TS GP9 model. So far so good. Paint is subject to adjustments, and I'm sure some splash of dirt and oil will darken the paint up to match that of the early 80's before the Big G colors. Looking at the finer details and figuring out where the mapping is on these.

Yes, I do eventually plan on redoing Phase 1 of the GP38's on a newer model, and eventually doing the phase 2 version, which better matches the 1980's.

And no, I have not forgotten about the GMTX units I was working on. I'm just not much of a fan of reworking the light codes. Never have been. They to me, are a huge PITA. So, they currently sit on the back burner until I can get myself to do those codes.

https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

wow that looks amazing Shawn!

NICE work, and the color look spot on. Your work is ALWAYS first rate.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Thanks guys. Finished. I haven't included a snow shield over the rear fan, but that can come later on in life.

Used the MEC font from Pete, however used the RRNum1 font from Pete, as those are more correct for the side numbers than what was provided in the MEC set.

Sun shades will have to stay, as they are mapped to the same section the horn is mapped to. Thankfully this was the only unit with a green roof.

Awesome work Shawn!

I always liked the colors of the Main Central. Also wondered what an ES-44 or an SD70ACe would look like in them too. Probably top notch.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Nice work, Shawn!

Two more, need to edit the pilots on these. 565 has Harvest Gold stripes, while 568 is solid Harvest Gold.

I'm not sure I'd like this paint scheme on an ES44AC or SD70ACe. Then again, I don't think the MEC would purchase anything bigger than an SD40-2, and at that rate, I doubt they would have been used on the Mountain Division, only between Portland and Bangor. Heck, Mountain Division pretty much saw nothing but GP7's, GP38's and U18B's due to weight restrictions.

Very nice work!

I picked up the MEC book from Railroad Explorer recently http://railroadexplorer.com/ authored by a life long MEC station agent / clerk / dispatcher. Mentioned how the lack of long sidings on the Mountain usually meant they tried to get the eastbound from St Johnsbury into Waterville before they turned the westbound loose out of Waterville, so no meets between the big trains were needed. There were some photos of exceptions, with trains crowding the fouling point of 1 of the 2 long sidings on the line. Book also mentions how the sale of Mattewamkeag to Vanceboro to CP in 1974, reversing the owner/tenant relationship of that segment, is what provided the funds for the 1975 purchase of the U18Bs

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Two more, need to edit the pilots on these. 565 has Harvest Gold stripes, while 568 is solid Harvest Gold.

I'm not sure I'd like this paint scheme on an ES44AC or SD70ACe. Then again, I don't think the MEC would purchase anything bigger than an SD40-2, and at that rate, I doubt they would have been used on the Mountain Division, only between Portland and Bangor. Heck, Mountain Division pretty much saw nothing but GP7's, GP38's and U18B's due to weight restrictions.
    Not a problem Shawn. The wide cabs were more of fantasy of mine , i.e. a what-if on a Fallen Flag. Wish I had seen the Maine Cntral when I was young.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Looking good Shawn!
    -Mike