Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Maine Central Railroad

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    ........sadly NE railraods seem to be lacking and I beleive the NE has a very very rich history of Railroads way before Conrail and the PC.
    Both Conrail and Penn Central could use some routes Michelle and why no one has been inspired by the New York Montreal or (more modestly) the New York Albany section is beyond me? The "Water Level Route" is famous and SO many pictures of so many roads in different era's were taken on it?

I guess back in the day routes with large urban areas killed MSTS on most average machines and that's why so many US/Canadian routes started in the middle of nowhere and ended in the middle of nowhere somewhere else? LOL! the folk that lived in those "Nowhere's" will be rolling up their literal sleeves now ....but HEY GUYS! I was born on the Outskirts of London so right from the word go learnt an appreciation of the virtues of both City AND countryside. To prove the point we now live in real countryside and feel right at home.

If you look at routes like Teemu's Buffalo (DO DOWNLOAD IT IF YOU HAVEN'T) you'll see that today's machines will handle realistically dense urban scenery and the Monon Route proves that too? For inspiration check out some of the better UK routes too.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Both Conrail and Penn Central could use some routes Michelle and why no one has been inspired by the New York Montreal or (more modestly) the New York Albany section is beyond me? The "Water Level Route" is famous and SO many pictures of so many roads in different era's were taken on it?

I guess back in the day routes with large urban areas killed MSTS on most average machines and that's why so many US/Canadian routes started in the middle of nowhere and ended in the middle of nowhere somewhere else? LOL! the folk that lived in those "Nowhere's" will be rolling up their literal sleeves now ....but HEY GUYS! I was born on the Outskirts of London so right from the word go learnt an appreciation of the virtues of both City AND countryside. To prove the point we now live in real countryside and feel right at home.

If you look at routes like Teemu's Buffalo (DO DOWNLOAD IT IF YOU HAVEN'T) you'll see that today's machines will handle realistically dense urban scenery and the Monon Route proves that too? For inspiration check out some of the better UK routes too.
    I do have the Monon Route and I love to run it when it was part of L&N so around 1970's works for me. Like you I do agree that most could not handle the frames required but with OR it seems there is no limit. I know very Little of the NYC or the other NE railroads my basic knowledge came from the PC and then CR. Before that I can not honestly tell you anything. This is why I ask so many questions
    I get some blowback for it but I would rather have the correct information so I do not need to go back and do it again.
    As for routes i try to keep my collection small as most of the time when I am testing or tweaking the sounds usually make me fall asleep.

I'll be honest, North East roads is one things, my focus is and always will be New England roads, as that lacks a lot of content compared to any other location. There is maybe a handful of us that still produce New England stuff, but it's rare. 1980's Maine Central has something I have been wanting to focus on for awhile with various stock from CP, GT, CV, MEC, BM, etc. First things first is obviously MEC.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

I grew up foaming NE roads... but moved to Norfolk Southern CSX territory in 1987. Still prefer North East.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

So far I've laid out 9 miles of track, following the exact grade changes and what not of the track charts I have. Thompsons Point in Portland, Maine, to a little ways into Windham, Maine. Going to swing back and tackle the paper mill yard in Westbrook, as well as attempt to lay out towards Rigby Yard, and part of the GT yard.

Not that its means much, I was born in Westbrook
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Summah visitor to Westbrook asks, "What's that rotten egg smell". That's Awful !
    "That fellah, is the smell of money. Paper Mill Money from S.D. Wareen."
    Before they shut down the digesters, we would get a good whiff on a SW wind here at Pemaquid.
    Not nearly as bad as a Pogie kill on a hot summah day, Ayuuh.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

ROFL
    Good one. And man... I know that smell well. It took years for it to come out of a leather bomber jacket.
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Growing up in the Livermore Falls area, we had the same smell from both the Otis Paper Mill in Livermore Falls, and the International Paper mill in Jay/Rileys. I worked a bit here and there at IP, and the smell stuck to the clothes for a good amount of time.

Now I live down the road from a cheese factory in Middlebury, and sometimes that is pretty bad on a hot summer night.

The worst was the old Brown Paper in Berlin, NH. All the cars in town were painted black including their bumpers as the SO2 would eat the chrome.
    I remember in the late 40s trying to hold my breath as we drove through on the way to trout fishing in 13 Mile Woods,(in the late 40s).

Shawn, will you include the Berllin Mills RR and the connection with St L & A at Groveton ?
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce