Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Openrails MG ver. 62 and 63 problem

Default Openrails MG ver. 62 and 63 problem

I have been having a problem with the last two versions of Open Rails MG. The program crashes to the desk top and I get an error message, the error message is at the bottom part of enclosed log file. Some routes will load and run just fine.

Thank you,
    MARK
    Attached Files Attached Files

I noticed this in your Log: Menu_Selection = (user set) C:\Users\MARK\Desktop\Cripple Creek, C:\Users\MARK\Desktop\Cripple Creek\ROUTES\C&S_NG-CM_SG-2019-1, C:\Users\MARK\Desktop\Cripple Creek\ROUTES\C&S_NG-CM_SG-2019-1\ACTIVITIES\C&S Leadville Como Morning Mail.act, , , , , ,

The Users folder is protected by Windows Security just like Program Files and Program Files (86). Recommend you install your train sim Install into a folder outside of USERS. NOTE: I do not recommend "moving" the install as that probably will not move the files Windows Security has hidden, so you will continue getting errors.
    Charles

Thank Charles,

That`s what I was wondering myself. I have that and another route in a folder on the desk top, sort of like a mini route. My main install is C:/msts, I was trying an experiment to set up regional mini routes. Could I set these up in C:/ and point Open Rails to that instead?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonfloyd View Post
    Thank Charles,

That`s what I was wondering myself. I have that and another route in a folder on the desk top, sort of like a mini route. My main install is C:/msts, I was trying an experiment to set up regional mini routes. Could I set these up in C:/ and point Open Rails to that instead?
    That would be safer.
    Charles

Move the Global, Sound, Routes and Trains folders to somewhere that's not in a Windows folder.
    Also helps to put an empty text file named trains.exe in there. It'll keep some programs from burping.
    C drive is fine if that's all you got. Something like C:/Trains or D:/ MSTS, doesn't matter.
    Also move your MSTS, ORTS, TSRE specific tools to a similar folder, not the same folder as your MSTS files. C:/Tools would work. Some people like to put a 1 in front of the folder names so they will filter to the top of the explorer list. C:/1_MSTS. It's up to you.
    This will save your MSTS program structure so other programs like ShapeViewer, Route_Riter, MSTS specific programs, can use the Registry entries to install and configure.
    Point your ORTS/TSRE install to your the MSTS folder you just created and go.

Hope this helps
    Randy

Thank you Charles, and Randy that was most helpful.

MARK

Mark,
    try setting to false Option "Reduce memory". That option seems not to be completely mature.

Hi Carlo,

I tried that with no luck. As per what Randy recommended I set up a folder with this route in C drive and pointed Open Rails to it and I tried a couple activities but still no luck. My main MSTS install is also in C drive and I have this route in there as well and it crashes there also. I also tried a couple other routes in C:/1MSTS and I was able to load several activities with no problem with one route but another route crashed and I got the same error message. Right now MG 61.4 works fine so I can still run trains

Thank,

MARK
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Mark. Your indication that MG 61.4 is OK was useful, and having a closer look at the first logfile, I believe I have found the new feature causing your problem. I asked the developer of such feature to have a look.

Hello! That would be me, author of the recent fading signals patch.

The crash happens because the signal glow effect parameter of the SceneryShader is, for some reason, null. Your folder structure has nothing to do with it. I do not know why this would happen on some routes, but not others. Here is the relevant line of code:

Code:
    signalLightIntensity = Parameters["SignalLightIntensity"];
    I am downloading the Colorado Midland route to see if I can reproduce.
    Ryan
    US-based railfan and programmer. Author of various timetables and safety scripts for Open Rails.