Thread: SLI/TS ORTS Seligman plus Update

Default SLI/TS ORTS Seligman plus Update

Hello, just a question about this version from SLI/TS. I just downloaded the new activity pack by Everett Keating and it specifies the ORTS T/S Seligman Route for Product.

Now, I went to the TS site and when at the Download/Payment page it just shows the Update as Seligman Update, no mention of an ORTS Version. I already have their Seligman Route plus Update from way back when it first came out.

Is there any advantage to getting this "New" ORTS Version, if in fact that is what it is?

Any input is good. In ConBuilder I seem to have all the Rolling Stock, just a few Locos are not showing up as specified.

Two major differences from the MSTS version 2, both implemented to escape MSTS limitations.

The loco models are now back to 1-piece models after being broken up into 2 pieces for the MSTS version. With MSTS out of the picture, they no longer had to slice and dice the models up to get them to run. No more base shape + FA shape for each road number.

The track database for the ORTS version is different on account of the need to lengthen some sidings needed for the overtakes. Again, with MSTS out of the picture, activities really loaded up with AI's. The sidings were needed to get the fast AI's around the slower AI's moving the same direction. Changing the sidings to make that work effectively changed the TDB in between MSTS and ORTS versions, so activities built for one WILL NOT WORK on the other.

I bought the upgrade for $12, certainly worth it in terms of the activities alone. Throw in new cars (the ballast cars, a couple of new boxcars), revised LODS on existing cars so they no longer drop their trucks completely during LOD shifts, plus the new cabviews with new standard rear view for running long hood forward if needed. I valued the new cars plus improvements equivalent to a trainset pack, which at 12 bucks the purchase was in line with that expectation. The revised route was basically free, other than the passing siding lengths and layouts, nothing major changed there.

I was thinking of putting out a chart that shows unit numbers that came with MSTS Scenic Upgrade, ORTS Scenic starter, MSTS Seligman 2, UPS train addon for MSTS Seligman 2, ORTS Seligman and ORTS Mullan. You are going to find that pretty much every set of BNSF GE textures that came with the 2-piece models from the MSTS packs and routes can be grabbed and applied on the new 1-piece models that came with ORTS Seligman and ORTS Mullan. There were one critical shape that came in the Mullan set that finally made this complete, up until then we were missing an ORTS-grade shape for the H1 C44-9s that did not have the lexan roof dome. One of those finally came with the Mullan route.

So, if I get the "Upgrade Only" it will run these new activities? The big difference is the Siding Lengths from the Full Version to the Upgrade?

Or am I better to get the Full Version?

Thank you for your Reply.

The upgrade price for the ORTS version is for people who already owned the MSTS version of Seligman 2. It will use the same key codes as your MSTS Seligman 2 purchase used.

Like Ruel and Mullan, this one will need to be quarantined away from your MSTS routes (but can be combined in the same installation with Ruel and Mullan).

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Two major differences from the MSTS version 2, both implemented to escape MSTS limitations.

The loco models are now back to 1-piece models after being broken up into 2 pieces for the MSTS version. With MSTS out of the picture, they no longer had to slice and dice the models up to get them to run. No more base shape + FA shape for each road number.

I bought the upgrade for $12, certainly worth it in terms of the activities alone. Throw in new cars (the ballast cars, a couple of new boxcars), revised LODS on existing cars so they no longer drop their trucks completely during LOD shifts, plus the new cabviews with new standard rear view for running long hood forward if needed. I valued the new cars plus improvements equivalent to a trainset pack, which at 12 bucks the purchase was in line with that expectation. The revised route was basically free, other than the passing siding lengths and layouts, nothing major changed there.

I was thinking of putting out a chart that shows unit numbers that came with MSTS Scenic Upgrade, ORTS Scenic starter, MSTS Seligman 2, UPS train addon for MSTS Seligman 2, ORTS Seligman and ORTS Mullan. You are going to find that pretty much every set of BNSF GE textures that came with the 2-piece models from the MSTS packs and routes can be grabbed and applied on the new 1-piece models that came with ORTS Seligman and ORTS Mullan. There were one critical shape that came in the Mullan set that finally made this complete, up until then we were missing an ORTS-grade shape for the H1 C44-9s that did not have the lexan roof dome. One of those finally came with the Mullan route.
    A chart like that would be great. I would love to see some GE Tier 4 units--"regular" and "whaleback"--put out that would use the new and much better shapes from the ORTS Seligman and Mullan locomotives, rather than the older shapes. That would be a great addition.

I just finished downloading the Upgrade for the Seligman Route, and it is a nice surprise! Installed perfectly, no hassles downloading or installing.

Running the Amtrak Activity, getting an average of 85fps which is good on my machine. Through all the nice touches I was disappointed that it had those awful Bumpers as part of it. Changed those out for the GNR ones. The tracks are great! None floating or covered, I wish the same could be said for the Roads, lots of them floating so far, but easy to correct. Locomotives and Rolling Stock also look Great!

Lots and lots of great stuff here! Great job to all who were involved! Thank you Geepster775 for the clarification.
    Stay In and Stay Safe!

Attached is a zipped PDF that shows:

If you are someone who hordes all versions of the routes, this identifies where suitable shape file substitutions can occur for every existing route or trainset pack.

If you stick with the latest OR-only version of the routes and are capable of making your own replacement acts where needed, the items marked in red were included in previous MSTS versions and are missing from the installation containing the combined but quarantined OR-only routes. These can be dragged over, newer shapes substituted where noted, physics brought up to the latest, and textures modified to DDS if user prefers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey, thanks for that list.