Thread: Help with SFM2.5 error

Default Help with SFM2.5 error

Installing the locos from bnsf_es44c4_10pk2.zip. It's set up for a folder for each loco but I prefer to put them in a single folder. This of course requires renaming the .ace files and editing the shape file. It uses CP_ES44AC_9365.s as the shape file which I renamed to match each loco. Uncompressed the first loco .s file and renamed the .ace files to match the the one in the folder using ConText and saved. When I tried to compress the .s file I got the message "Compress failed to complete-File not updated (object Error)".Checked for typos everything was ok. Tried uncompressing the CP_ES44AC_9365.s and then compressing again and got the same message. Forgot to mention it comes from the SLI_CPR_GEVO folder. Any ideas what's wrong and how did the original get compressed if there is an error in it?

Quote Originally Posted by jdonald1 View Post
    Uncompressed the first loco .s file and renamed the .ace files to match the the one in the folder using ConText and saved.
    I do the same as you do, put them all in one folder, my obsessive organization impulse taking reign - I suppose, however, to my point...Why Context? I always use "Archibald" for opening ".s" files, renaming ace files, and then saving/compressing shape files..so fast, easy. One utility program.
    Context has it's uses, but it seems you are adding more steps than necessary, that's where errors occur.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

The last time the .s file was compressed may have been with a utility that allowed spaces in file names.
    SFM2.5 doesn't.
    I've only seen this a couple times.
    I've tried Archibald a few times but never had any consistent luck with it. Nice when it works.
    Archibald is included in tk_utils here in the FL.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    I've tried Archibald a few times but never had any consistent luck with it. Nice when it works.
    Randy
    my emphasis

Randy, how can it not work? You don't have it installed in any of the MS "protected" folders, perhaps? The one requirement in the ReadMe is to have Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1 installed.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

You can try the soluce from Glenn Duba
    SLI CP Mactier ES44AC shapes

IF using Shape File Manager, uncompress file, then select WordPad Edit Shape. Once shape file is opened, use Ctrl F and type in "[", without the quotes. There is a [ in a prim_state section. Remove this [, save change, then compress file.

Note: This [ appears in several shape files from SLI. This is similar to the problem with their caboose shape file some time ago.

Glenn Duba
    Cinnaminson, NJ

Thanks for the replies folks
    Glenn: the errant "[" was indeed the culprit. Three of the .s files in SLI_CPR_GEVOS had this in them. Everything working fine.

Gerry: I must be doing something wrong in Archibald. When I try to open a .s file it shows "ILLEGAL DATA" at the bottom of the screen and wil not display the tree.Tried this on several different .s files with the same result. Doesn't seem to be too much instruction as how to use Archibald. Are there any tutorials around?

Thanks
    Don