Thread: Undrivable UP U50s

Default Undrivable UP U50s

Hi.I was wondering if anyone else has had problems running the UP U50s that are available here,on this site. Im using Open Rails,cant see why that would be the problem. I have Hundreds of different Locos etc,,,This has never happened before ever.I have been at this hobby for over 10yrs,so im not a newbie lol,but this has me stumped! Any help, or solutions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thx!!

Any clue in the OR log?
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hi tonestones,
    The loco is very old, but, assuming you're referring to the up_u50.zip file from this site, it does run OK in Open Rails, after you've made one crucial correction! On line 748 of the .eng file, MaxPower is shown as 3730kN, which OR doesn't like! Change it to 3730kW and you'll be OK

There are also a couple of 'n/m' errors on line 14 (which won't stop the loco from running) - the line should be changed to : Damping ( 1.2e6N/m/s 3.7e6N/m/s )

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks for the quick reply.Yes ,that is the engine in question. I will give that a shot, and report back.
    Cheers!

Success!! Thank you again for your help solving this problem.

There's also a revised cabview for U25 & U50 in the library, of similar vintage. It uses the Common.Cab system so stare at it for a while and be aware that you will have to further edit the .eng file. Similarly, there are better sounds for GE FDL engines than the default ones used in the model; once you find and install those in Common.Sound, you can copy the alias files into the U50 folder and further edit the .eng file to point to them rather than the default dash-9.

Quote Originally Posted by tonestones View Post
    Success!! Thank you again for your help solving this problem.
    Errrr...... So what was the solution?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

post 3
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    post 3
    My Bad. Distracted by the bit in brackets so missed that the first point was the fix.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Edit to post #6: don't bother with changing the sounds. Default Dash-9 works OK, though when I tried it I got no horn or bell, little engine sound in the cab and low sound volume outside too, in Open Rails. In my case, something is broken in my Common.Snd setup; needs troubleshooting, so I reverted to the default sounds in the original cab file - I'm not going to use this loco much so not worth the effort right now. The fixes in post #3 work, though, and when applied to the .eng file replacement (be sure to keep a backup) supplied with the cabview produce a usable loco. Just very crude-looking, which is expected given the age. Note that there are both UP and SP versions in the library - no difference other than the paint job afaict.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 06-04-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: expand on sound issues a bit