Thread: How to add signals

Default How to add signals

I downloaded MSTS Signal Testing Route (REF str-m2.zip) from here.

How does add signals to it to test the signals?

Mainly I want to know if the logic is in there, so all I need to do is tell the type of signal or do I have to more.

Please and thank you

Wow, someone actually downloaded that old thing (I made it years ago)?

The short answer is no. You must add your signal logic files and shapes into the route before you can place any signals. So you would need to place the sigcfg and sigscr files (those are the logic files) into the root folder of the route, and all the shapes and textures of the actual signals to be used into the route's SHAPES and TEXTURES folders. That should get you set up

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Wow, someone actually downloaded that old thing (I made it years ago)?
    Yes and not only me.

The short answer is no. You must add your signal logic files and shapes into the route before you can place any signals. So you would need to place the sigcfg and sigscr files (those are the logic files) into the root folder of the route
    It appears unless I am missing something, those files are there.

See screen shot msts.

and all the shapes and textures of the actual signals to be used into the route's SHAPES and TEXTURES folders. That should get you set up
    Please tell me more about that.

I was browsing around the files in a text editor (like notepad).

While I see in aswTest.tdb and in aswtest.tit the keyword SignalItem (which is in another route where I know it has signals) but I do not see it in STR-M2 - which gives to a clue about the signals. I just need to know where to put them..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trpted; 05-30-2020 at 08:31 PM.

I can't read anything in that crusty-as-can-be image, so I don't know what to tell you there, but...

Quote Originally Posted by trpted View Post
    I was browsing around the files in a text editor (like notepad).

While I see in aswTest.tdb and in aswtest.tit the keyword SignalItem (which is in another route where I know it has signals) but I do not see it in STR-M2 - which gives to a clue about the signals. I just need to know where to put them..
    Wat? Why are you looking in the databases of a totally different route for shapes and textures? Those will be in one of two places:

The SHAPES and TEXTURES folder of the route you're taking the signals from (check the second half of the sigcfg file to see shich shapes in particular, search the file for "SignalShape"), or,
    In the contents of a downloaded file, if that's where you got the signals

Wherever you got them, put those shapes and textures into the SHAPES and TEXTURES folders within the STR-M2 folder

I can't read anything in that crusty-as-can-be image, so I don't know what to tell you there, but...

Wat? Why are you looking in the databases of a totally different route for shapes and textures? Those will be in one of two places:

The SHAPES and TEXTURES folder of the route you're taking the signals from (check the second half of the sigcfg file to see shich shapes in particular, search the file for "SignalShape"), or,
    In the contents of a downloaded file, if that's where you got the signals

Wherever you got them, put those shapes and textures into the SHAPES and TEXTURES folders within the STR-M2 folder
    Unless I am missing something, they are there.

See screen shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still can't read the images. They're too small. Try loading the route and see what it does

Still can't read the images. They're too small. Try loading the route and see what it does
    It/They do not show up.

Here is the last image that I posted.

Auto expire in 1 month.

Still to small? Direct link https://ibb.co/Gkp8Tym

You will have to find a route that has the signals you want and copy the relevant signaltype and signalshape entries from that route's sigcfg.dat to your's. You will also have to copy the signalscript entries to your sigscr.dat.
    Don't forget the shapes and textures.
    It's not hard.
    I found a good forum post about this a couple months ago when I needed to do it.
    I'll take a look.

Randy