Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locomotive (Exterior) Engine Sound Volume!?

Question Locomotive (Exterior) Engine Sound Volume!?

I've noticed locomotive engine sounds (exterior ones in particular) seem to be much less in volume compared to playing engine sounds directly via audio players/editors! The difference in volume seems to be roughly half!!

This difference volume seems to occur in all train simulators (MSTS, and in all flavors of Open Rails).

Volume levels are at maximum setting in all of the simulators. The corresponding sms files for the sound (wav) files have the volume setting at maximum also (1.0).

So, why aren't the sounds being played back at their original volume in the train simulators?

I know someone with the answer will respond, but I agree - it has always kind of dampened the joy of watching a run-by. May be one of the reasons I am in the cab 90% of the time, actually running the train.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

That's to enable you to hear the route's ambient sounds - crossing gates, track, water, industrial, etc. You can always increase the volume of the sms files to your liking.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Thanks for the comment.

But the sms files already have the volume set at maximum (1.0) as mentioned previously. And it is my understanding that sms volume levels greater than the 1.0 value have no (apparent) effect(?)

Can you please clarify?

I want my engine noises and such to not be that loud, because it will drown out everything else thst you normally can hear. The MLW sound sets were notorious for every sound being turned to the max, to the point that you could barely hear the horn, which should beclearly audible no matter what. I value more the 'dynamic range' - how loud sounds are in relation to each other, than just being loud

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Thanks for the comment.

But the sms files already have the volume set at maximum (1.0) as mentioned previously. And it is my understanding that sms volume levels greater than the 1.0 value have no (apparent) effect(?)

Can you please clarify?
    You can bump up the volume of the sms file itself.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I want my engine noises and such to not be that loud, because it will drown out everything else thst you normally can hear. The MLW sound sets were notorious for every sound being turned to the max, to the point that you could barely hear the horn, which should beclearly audible no matter what. I value more the 'dynamic range' - how loud sounds are in relation to each other, than just being loud
    The engine sounds I've found to be just a bit too quiet (for my liking), so that is why I'm wanting to increase their volume. But the increase in volume is limited so that it would not really drown out other sounds. In any event, I prefer to listen to engine and track sounds only. I don't really like any other sound much, including the horn, traffic etc.

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    You can bump up the volume of the sms file itself.
    ?

The sms file is basically a text file and not a sound file like wav, ogg, mp3 etc. The sms file itself does not have a "volume" to adjust.

In any case, I've actually just found out that changing the entries under "VolumeCurve" within the sms file from 1.0 to higher values seem to increase the (engine) sound volume anyway!

Screenshot of example sms volume entry changes

AC4400CW sms file cropped.jpg

What Chris meant is that near the top of the SMS file there may be, or you can add, a volume line that can raise or lower volume of all the streams in the SMS file at once. It acts like a master volume control for that particular SMS.

Thanks for the clarification! That is helpful!

Chris's responses seem to be "minimalist", and it is not clear what is meant.

In any case I don't want to globally increase volume of ALL streams, I only want to increase the volume of locomotive engine sounds only.

I believe by changing the volume parameter for the engine sound as shown in my previous post now seems to increase locomotive (exterior) sounds which is what I wanted to do to begin with.