Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear Oh Dear

Very welcome buddy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Default forgot about this important point....

Mike,

Would you know offhand if this specific item from the Trainz Store can be placed in edit mode from the Content Manager?

Thanks,
    Steve

Anyway TRS19 is once again deleted.

Nothing like the folly of old age. That keeps making me, revisit mediocrity over and over.
    My finger is hovering Mike... Downloaded a couple of my newer routes from the DLS as I wanted to see how my hardware upgrade on the main PC runs with Trainz. Despite being built with all DLS or payware assets that I own, all throwing up "unknown asset" errors for dependencies. Several items now showing as having errors which weren't there when I used them to build the routes.

It's a pile of old dog poo, really bloated and in need of complete overhaul from the ground up.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoRailroad View Post
    Mike,

Would you know offhand if this specific item from the Trainz Store can be placed in edit mode from the Content Manager?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Most DLC is locked down Steve. But you can always try cloning anything you wish to edit buddy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    My finger is hovering Mike... Downloaded a couple of my newer routes from the DLS as I wanted to see how my hardware upgrade on the main PC runs with Trainz. Despite being built with all DLS or payware assets that I own, all throwing up "unknown asset" errors for dependencies. Several items now showing as having errors which weren't there when I used them to build the routes.

It's a pile of old dog poo, really bloated and in need of complete overhaul from the ground up.
    Now you know TRS19 is compatible with anything old, as long as it's new. Or you spend hours and days fixing all the faulty items, Vern.

Did you try a hard database rebuild, buddy ? Ctrl+rebuild database.

In all honestly, i would just press the delete button.

Mike.
    Last edited by haverfordwest; 06-02-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Here's a little trick I've learned in my small amount of time in TS19. Wait for the sale, buy it, and put up with whatever it throws you.

Have I had stuff on the DLS that had faulty assets, absolutely. I've had signal systems that worked great before 19 but are now "broken". Then I managed to find another on built before 19 that works fine, and is even more advanced.

Now I haven't been around enough to discount anyone's experience. I've heard all the horror stories about how the game engine is still the same. Yet I know the last time I tried this in 2010 it was a mess compared to my experience now. I had very low expectations, so it was to my shock that I was able to weed through the content that works, and not worry about things outdated.

The problem with new versions is you need a hook for people to want to buy. Some buy it just for the sake of having the latest greatest toy. V2 to V1 of Run8 for me was a no brainer. V3 well I need a bigger hook now. So for Trainz I'm not in any hurry for the next version. I'm putting all my effort on building a route and I'm not in a hurry to get the next version.

This to me is where the issue is. It's easy to point a finger at the big bad company and say they don't listen etc. But that big bad company still has a forum and critical thoughts on them without kicking players out either. Backwards compatibility is always a sore spot, but it's a necessary evil on the catch 22.

So on one side you have those that say the versions never get any better. Then you have the upgrades that make older features obsolete which breaks their toys and they are pissed. The guys like me and others who create routes, assets, script, etc. never get around to upgrading their routes and code (unless they want the next version) and this is why you have faulty assets.

My suggestion for anyone getting involved in Trainz is know what your getting yourself into. Don't buy something as soon as it becomes available. Trust me there will be plenty of people that will tell you how bad or good it is. Also if you have the ability to get under the hood, learn how to fix it, or find those that can help.

One thing I will say about the Auran Trainz forums is again they don't mind critical thoughts on the product, but they also have plenty of people who have solutions to issues.

Thanks

Sean

That's why it's been uninstalled and reinstalled so many times, Sean! Think my laptop HD has holes like a Swiss cheese as a result...

Database rebuild coming up, see if it can iron out those missing items - could well be something that's not critical to actually running the route.
    Vern.

Sean i have owned Trainz since the very first CE release in Dec 2001.

I am fed up with putting up with whatever it throws at me buddy.

Nothing much has changed in those 19 years, apart from some gloss on the graphics.

Mike.

It's gone off the laptop (again) so far as development.

When you have so many train sims to run and potentially build for, something has to give.

Trainz is the "weakest link - goodbye!"
    Vern.

I'm sure I'll let you know when I uninstall my version. Just don't see it happening. I should take note however and back up more often. Trainz has been the best option for me. I've posted screenshots of what I'm up to on my forum. Don't think they are worthy for any screenshot forum to be honest as I'm at the beginning stages.

The Auran forum seems to be helpful by many who have gone through certain things etc. Not heavily moderated as far as I can tell. Plenty of critical and posive comments about the product there.

Thanks

Sean