Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear Oh Dear

@Sean,

i watched a YT video of you creating a route earlier Sean. How are you getting the Google Earth overlays, accurately onto the baseboards ?

If you don't mind me asking buddy.

Steve,

i feel your pain buddy. In regards TSW, at least DTG had the balls to create something completely new and not realy on backward compatibility to sell it or keep people interested.

Ok it is a crock of crap, but it didn't have to be.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Did you work on the railroad, Scott ? There are a couple of us on the forum, retired from the UK railway. Mike.
    Yes, 1948-to-2008, semi-retired 01 kept on as trouble-shooter / consultant til 08.
    These days not so much, just don't have it in me. Besides. pretty much all the forces had anything
    to do with, long gone, many already RIP. Workforce wise, whole new ball game these days.
    Share holder about as much involvement I maintain these days.

Nice one Scott, old hand then buddy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

This is one strange looking Hymek, but it's freeware so fair play.

Mike.

Nice one Scott, old hand then buddy.

Mike.
    lol. "old Hand", you mean, "Old Fart". just waiting my time to be flushed away...
    Now, if I can just keep that "Evil Monkey" at bay in the closet.

i feel your pain buddy. In regards TSW, at least DTG had the balls to create something completely new and not realy on backward compatibility to sell it or keep people interested.

Ok it is a crock of crap, but it didn't have to be.
    I think people would be far more understanding of TSW2 if DTG had a good quality product to back it up. When you have barebones routes, nickel-and-dimed stock (hey, buy this DLC to add another train to a route that should have been there in the first place! Baby Bullet for Peninsula, several of the BR Blue locos, the M3 for LIRR, etc etc) and buggy scenarios that go unfixed for years, people are right to be aggrieved at then watching their still-broken investments get left to rot while the hand is stuck out for another set of promises, for real, this time, we'll do this. You need only gauge the atmosphere in DTG's forums vs those for the likes of SCS Software.

I won't go any further off the rails except to close by saying DTG could choose to make a smaller handful of routes, and do them PROPERLY. I've probably said this before, but they keep repeating their mistakes, too, so here we go: OMSI2 was just Berlin, in a very specific time period, in a very specific area, with four specific buses, driving half-a-dozen specific routes. But they got this so perfect, so detailed, with so much to do packed into that content, that you didn't want for more, you had too much to do already! ATS gets this by only doing the states one at a time, but packing a lot into each one. Diesel Railcar gets this by doing a handful of train types across two routes. DTG does their route choices a disservice by not giving them the comprehensive treatment they deserve. Consider how much better the Codemasters rally games used to be before they added non-rally events, and instead focused on sliding a Subaru around in the Welsh mud.

ADDENDUM BECAUSE THIS IS A TRAINZ THREAD: N3V did the same as above, giving us locos with no routes to drive them on!

The best rally game was the one done by Magnetic Fields in 1999. No concessions to the consoles (though it did turn up on PS1 later), all tracks of the then Network Q Rally, including one or two nearly 30 miles long. Never (IMHO) been bettered - Richard Burns came close but suffered from the short course syndrome to prevent the kiddies getting bored.

I agree about DTG's track record - their products are largely fire and forget with TSW demonstrating this in particular. With no editor they have a free hand to make more timetables and scenarios for each route, mixing and maxing the traction. They could have extended the Paddington route to Oxford or Swindon, Trans Pennine to York or Liverpool but there seems to be zero imagination or effort to do this.

And now (to also keep OT) we see confirmation of N3V's take it or leave it approach to Trainz, they don't care about content or whether or not assets that worked fine in the previous version no longer function. Even some of the much touted Speedtrees have visual artefacts (transparency and white edges) since the last core update. I build in Surveyor because it is the easiest of all the route editors to use and suited to doing model railways too, but can't say the driving experience thrills me.
    Vern.

You and me both Scott.

Mike.

To be fair I think even one of Auran's tutorials doesn't work in the base game of 19.

Now to answer the base board thing. They are 720 x 720 meters so I measure out a square in Google Earth via the measure tool. It's not perfect but I crop it to the same number of pixels. Then I import it to a program called Basemapz. There is a tutorial out there and I did a correction to that tutorial. I'm not at home right now, but if I remember I'll paste the settings I use for eye altitude, paint settings, number of pixels etc. There is an error rate of a meter or so at times per baseboard which isn't bad for 720 x 720. But it will add up as the route gets bigger. As my baseboards are a bit offset right now on the new boards I place in.

Thanks

Sean

Oh ok Sean, i have tried Basemapz in the past and wasn't very successful.

I will give that a miss then thanks buddy.

Thanks very much for taking the time to pass on the info.

Thanks,
    Mike.