Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make DEMEX based Route?

Default How to make DEMEX based Route?

How to mkae DEMEX based Route?

Thanks in Advance.

These days you are better off using TSRE to handle the DEM import.

However it is unlikely you will get a detailed tutorial, just search the forums, experiment yourself and have fun. TSRE does have a basic set of instructions to help get you started.
    Vern.

Download michael vone's route building guide. Follow his tutorial.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=29931
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Is there a tutorial on how to use DEMEX

Why are you repeating your question? See answers above.
    Vern.

Searching DEMEX is route design forum has loads of solutions. This one suggests the HELP file as place to start.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ighlight=DEMEX
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Can DEMEX create route markers and then auto lay tracks prices on those marker?

Quote Originally Posted by Parth3315* View Post
    Can DEMEX create route markers and then auto lay tracks prices on those marker?
    No. Demex just generates terrain based on loaded DEM file....

I supported you once before on a complex route merge process, which I thought was not really detailed much here, but using DEMEX or TSRE to generate terrain is very well documented in this forum and elsewhere. From the types of files to load to how to do so

Please use search & do some research, no one can spoon-feed you information to such detail.

To be brutally honest, if someone can't follow the basic process to set up a route with DEMEX (or TSRE) they are going to struggle with the far more complex aspects of building a line.

In summary the process is absurdly simple.
    1. Identify the DEM you need to cover the entirety of your route. I'm assuming the OP has enough knowledge how to do this, where to obtain the DEMs - probably Viewfinder for India and how to unzip a file.
    2. Load the DEMs into DEMEX.
    3. Load your extracted route, zoom out to double check the tiles are all covered by the DEM.
    4. From Standard Terrain menu hit the create terrain tiles (approx. wording) and you're done.

Should take about 2 minutes.

Distant mountains is slightly more complex but again that is a case where you need to RTFM.
    Vern.

I am going to muddy the water a bit. I haven't figured out how to use TSRE to extract terrain yet and in any case, I am not sure if the files required are of sufficient resolution. So I use DEMEX, which now requires also using VTBuilder or a similar program to change the format of files. I only do US or North American routes with 2 exceptions that I have extracted the terrain for some time ago. The USGS site only provides geotiff files now, but these are not the variety that DEMEX will digest because they are tiled. So I use VTBUILDER and read in a .tif file. These will have a name like xxx-xxx_xxx-xxnxxw. So I then export the file as a tif file but I remove all of the
    heading data only keeping the xxnxxw part. The trick is that recently, we are finding that you must run VTBUILDER as administrator and I find that checking that box in the properties data is not sufficient. You must actually run the program as administrator. Then the .tif files produced will work in DEMEX. However to be really nasty honest, I agree with Vern. Setting up & extracting the route terrain is the easy part. If you can't do that, then creating a route may be impossible.

J. H. Sullivan