Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Train Sim World 2 coming August 6 2020, including Bakerloo Line

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    .....Maybe us oldies can't understand this new way of communicating, that's why we have to have screens on our iPhones now to see who it is on the other end of the line....
    I have a phone, Steve, which has never seen a video call.
    And none of its predecessors ever had a video call on them either.....those that were capable of same. Maybe one was. My first mobile was so early in the life of these things that it was analogue! Well....that's not quite true but it wasn't too long after the Motorola "brick" was phased out (1996).

My current phone is used to make phone calls and send text messages and occasionally....only occasionally....I will use it to check the weather radar if I'm out and a summer storm is expected.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Before us people wrote letters, had a rotary phone, and had the milkman deliver

Don't get me wrong I see some people with their smartphones, and they look like stupid zombies. I relate to the tech guy because that is why I was into computers long before most people I knew growing up. That was because I was the geek, strange guy, loner, etc. So creating and interacting over a computer allowed me not to be judged and I could just have fun.

The truth is we need more interaction especially with the world coming down around us and the mass media plugging their spins on how the elites want the world run. It's all about money and sadly the wealth gap continues to grow despite the depression that is on us. More wealth was created in the great depression by so few, we haven't seen anything left. The more they divide us, the more they conquer.

Technology is a great tool, but it's the media that drives how people should behave not people. It's again all about the money. My cel phone stays in my car and is a flip phone. But I do have internet and a computer and my son uses the same upstairs. We recently had another couple from the U.S. on a private spaceship not only enter orbit but dock with the ISS. There are some great things with technology that will make the world better. But with every technology, there are those that will use it to rule, and abuse it.

Don't get me started on automation. They thought robots in car plants were bad. They haven't seen anything yet.

But back on topic that is the reason DTG continues to make money. Their marketing has lots of investment and they brainwash the sheep into pre-ordering crap so they can tell their friends on a smartphone how great their life is. That is the type of culture that is taking over the world I'm afraid. Not the co-operative culture you find in many fun workplaces as few of them exist. I'm lucky to still work in one. Most are doggy dog all about ROI for the investors instead of taking care of their employees. So everyone at work hates each other. Those with families don't have time with friends, or if they spend too much time they lose their families.

Thanks

Sean

I am younger than many here, I think, but I don't understand the appeal of streaming or having your face in PIP, either. I've always had the mindset that why would I want to watch someone doing something I could do myself (for this reason I never liked watching team sports). I do enjoy a video where they're either genuinely funny and screwing up (Game Grumps, OneyPlays) or trying to give an insightful showcase either of the game itself or the reality behind it (Squirrel, donoteat1).

I also hate video stuff, and being in the corporate world, do not understand why millions are spent on video conferencing systems given that most meetings are people staring at their paperwork/laptops, or losing time trying to get the video conferencing working.

All this nonsense has had an effect on the gane industry, though: games have to look cool in trailers or let's plays to encourage people to buy. My favourite example of this is Elite: Dangerous, which features extremely cool looking frameshift drive-charging sequences when you go from system to systen, or space station docking sequences. The reality is that the former is a glorified loading screen you'll see thousands of times during play, while the latter quickly becomes repetitious and slows down play, eventually making you wish for the insta-dock when you got near like in Privateer or EVE Online.

TSW works on this too: it looks great in static screenshots or carefully edited clips of gameplay, and it's only once you actually play that you realize you'll only pass three other trains going from Paddington to Reading at rush hour. Smoke and mirrors.

Thing that always got me in Elite Dangerous was no matter what part of the galaxy you are in, the space stations look identical - Federation, Empire, Independent or Colonia! The X games offered a bit more variety in that respect.
    Vern.

The thing about colonel failure and the (and I do subscribe to him on YouTube) is that they are given keys by developers because their channels are popular. So they basically get free software to review and they really don't get that critical of what they are getting for free. Then they make money off of their ad revenue.

The PIP is more of a personal thing than ego in my opinion. It's basically being intimate with their audience trying to get even more revenue or donations to the channel in the chat by reading their questions. I think Failure only does it in live streams not the actual series that he edits etc.

I do live streams all the time and very seldom use PIP. The only reason I'll ever do it is when I'm trying to talk about something serious and not while I'm into something else on the screen.

I constantly get chats on my channel when I can't see them because I have 1 screen and that is the sim I'm running. I pop out to chat to answer questions if they are there when I have a moment and go back in.

Anyways the way I see it all about take it or leave it. If I don't like a video I don't feel obligated to hit a thumbs up, and if I strongly disagree I give it a thumbs down. Other than that if it's not for me I just leave and go do something else. Works the same way with forums. Don't touch the Train-Sim forum here. Go to the TSW forum out of amusement. Stick around the Run8 forum for some kind of miracle. Hang out in the Auran section I guess to stir crap since nobody else who is serious uses it any longer. I guess I'm here for my amusement now.

If I want answers I go to the forum where the answers can be found. Same rules apply. 20 minutes a day to go through all the new messages. Skip what doesn't apply to me, and stick to the threads that interest me. Works real well.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I also hate video stuff, and being in the corporate world, do not understand why millions are spent on video conferencing systems given that most meetings are people staring at their paperwork/laptops, or losing time trying to get the video conferencing working.......
    Oh boy, that brings back memories! So true!
    Although we didn't have the internet and video conferences in my day, we did have 'phone conferences and they were utter time-wasters.
    We had an expression - "meetings, bloody meetings" and it wasn't until a new boss introduced the rule that meetings were not to be held unless there was an absolute need to take twenty people away from their jobs en-masse.
    He was a brilliant manager and greatly admired.
    Not too many of them around, even today.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0