Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Sim World 2 coming August 6 2020, including Bakerloo Line

The thought has occured that the Bakerloo Line shares its surface run with the Watford DC line, and parallels the spectacularly busy and varied WCML. I'm guessing that none of this extra traffic will be modelled, which is a big part of the fun of riding the route in real life! I used to go to Watford Junction via the Abbey Flyer line from St Albans, specifically to get to ride down into Euston and see the 390s blasting past, as a change from the Thameslink run into what was still King's Cross Thameslink.

The fallout on the Steam forum is something else, people are understandably angry at the surprise announcement that they have to buy a new product, and that all their existing content is basically being marked as museum pieces with no further changes or fixes. Notable DTG fanboy Rudolf, who will not brook any discontent towards their beloved TSW, is fighting a losing battle to tell them not to be angry.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    ...people are understandably angry at the surprise announcement that they have to buy a new product, and that all their existing content is basically being marked as museum pieces with no further changes or fixes.
    I'm not defending DTG at all, but isn't this always the case with them? I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised - it's not like DLC was ever supported or enhanced after the initial release. Their business model seems to be predicated on maintaining a steady stream of shallow, soulless content to replace the previous offering.

Those who expected any different from DTG are fools. The real travesty with Train Sim World and Train Simulator is how commercially successful they are. Any developer that decides to make a foray into the train "simulator" market is either going to be put off entirely by saturation, or forced to emulate garbage practices if they care at all about getting a half-decent return on investment.
    Last edited by SlackAction; 06-09-2020 at 07:42 PM.

TS2020 and TSW both have a high profile on Steam, and DTG has a good marketing department who writes very convincing blurbs for each new thing that comes out.* With new people joining the gaming hobby every day, there is a steady stream of new customers who haven't heard of them before, but see the beautifully staged screenshots which look painfully real, and want to try it. It might take a few DLC purchases before they realize the problems that others have known about for years.

Stuff like Derail Valley is gaining traction (enough with the puns) because people might be getting their first taste via DTG but are feeling unfulfilled. It's not like the days where MSTS was practically the only serious game in town, and also arguably the best option.

*the only other developer I can think of who had a similar insidious talent was EA, who could have me angry at how disappointing and samey the latest Battlefield/Need for Speed game was, but make it seem like this new one coming out had finally fixed all the issues and added the things we really wanted.

The thought has occured that the Bakerloo Line shares its surface run with the Watford DC line, and parallels the spectacularly busy and varied WCML. I'm guessing that none of this extra traffic will be modelled, which is a big part of the fun of riding the route in real life! I used to go to Watford Junction via the Abbey Flyer line from St Albans, specifically to get to ride down into Euston and see the 390s blasting past, as a change from the Thameslink run into what was still King's Cross Thameslink.

The fallout on the Steam forum is something else, people are understandably angry at the surprise announcement that they have to buy a new product, and that all their existing content is basically being marked as museum pieces with no further changes or fixes. Notable DTG fanboy Rudolf, who will not brook any discontent towards their beloved TSW, is fighting a losing battle to tell them not to be angry.
    That reminds me, I must see how the acolytes at UKTS have received it - thurifiers on full incense mode I expect.
    Vern.

Yes, but it's finally going to be available on consoles, which is a big deal for them. DTG have categorically stated they don't want consoles to be treated like second class citizens, which in reality means that the bar is lowered from what the sim could have been as PC-only to something that will run well on a console that was released seven years ago. This is part of the reason why the routes are so short, there's very few train models on each, and why there's so little AI traffic around. If they made the LIRR realistic, the thing would (pun not intended) chug along.
    Yes, I quite agree the console players will be whooping for joy at this news, but, what about us poor schmuck PC users, we've now been treated like second class citizens. I won't get anything else given to me on the game that I've spent over £380 on, so, far, which is not everything in their shop, and after the debacle of the Canadian route in February now refuse to get sucked in any more. There'll be no more repaints now for the old version, either, by the sound of it, things like the Green Class 33 that was released in November 2018 still hasn't been reskinned into BR Blue and the high intesity headlight removed, so we can play with it on the Southern Region route around Brighton, that it would be very at home on, no wonder people like me have got so pissed off and left, in your own words ''the underwhelming product and overwhelming cost drove me away'', coupled with the DTG policy of not having the forethought to repaint locomotives to sell to customers for the different time period routes that have already been released, they've recently touted a brand new Class 20 locomotive in Railfreight livery for the Tees Route, how many folks are going to be interested in buying it now that TSW2 has been announced, and the dream of getting a BR Blue Class 25 for the Manchester route won't happen now probably. It's evident now that the silence from DTG for the last 6 months is because they've all been working on this TSW2 version, it's a shambles.

And the other laugh I had this morning is that Colonel Failure from You Tube fame for his videos on Train Simulator World is now the new DTG Community Manager, you can't make it up.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 06-10-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

There was a pretty good Japanese game on a console once that you couldn't play in North America that was better than MSTS at the time.

I have no doubt that they are just talking out of their behind when it comes to editors and crap. Unreal was never meant to be an engine that has user world content unless you have Unreal Engine and the developer allows mods.

So if they wanted people to develop content bad enough, they would make it happen me thinks. But that is just it they don't. They aren't the only one that doesn't support putting editors in. I can think of a small company that has that view as well, but I promise I'd behave.

Yeah I guess I only read this out of amusement. MSTS Open Rails for what it is I don't follow but I know it still lives on because content is king, and so are editors. Not everyone wants to used an editor either, some just want to run. This is where the model works well because content both free and pay fuel more buys and interest to the product.

What these other eye candy sims have like TSW is the best eye candy. People get sucked in my the marketing as suggested. They see all the people singing it's praises who play the same activities over and over again because they want to get a better score. They vote on Steam how great it is and more suckers go for it.

The mixed reviews are always interesting though because on one side you want to know what people are complaining about, because it may not apply to you. That's what I did with Trainz and so far as long as I can get under the hood it works for me. TSW you can't even run the entire route that is on the map which to me was just idiotic. Especially when it was only 30 minutes from my home. Now I'm creating a route of the region I live in and having fun doing it.

Thanks

Sean

You are probably thinking of Densha De Go, Sean.

I watched Alan Thomson's take on TSW2 on You Tube last night and he nailed it pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9OozrsFWI
    Vern.

Is this the same AT that charges a subscription for downloading freeware ?

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Is this the same AT that charges a subscription for downloading freeware ?

Mike.
    May well be Mike - I've never actually browsed the site, not being that interested in stuff for (legacy) DTG TS any more.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I watched Alan Thomson's take on TSW2 on You Tube last night and he nailed it pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9OozrsFWI
    Yes, I must admit he tore into DTG as good as I do, for the same reasons, he's gone up in my estimation.

TSW was taken off my PC in early March and it won't be going back on anytime soon.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.