Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Train Sim World 2 coming August 6 2020, including Bakerloo Line

No idea who Sam is but i have far more respect for him than the other one.

EDIT: He is DTG's Community Manager, i would say employed by them.
    Last edited by haverfordwest; 06-12-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    So who is this "Captain Failure", or Sam, does he actually work for DTG or is he some sort of officially approved community liaison? Haven't watched the whole stream yet but he did lay into Matt P towards the end.
    He is a temporary Community Manager filling in for the Russian lad who has now gone off somewhere during the lockdown period, until they find someone else to sit with Matt Peddlesden on his Twitch comical video streams. He is the guy on YooToob who sat with Adam Lucas on the original showing of the NTP route in December 2018, the idiot who asked what the silvery nipple was for on the driver's desk of the Class 101 DMU, which made me laugh so hard I fell off my chair, it's the reset button for the AWS of course, he hasn't got a clue about trains and cab interiors, just like DTG's management, he should fit in very well there then with the rest of them in London.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Sorry, I pasted the link into my post but it didn't work, here it is in raw form:

Interesting factoid from someone on Steam who did watch it: Apparently the PC is the smallest userbase for TSW, which seems to somewhat mitigate them hobbling the product in order to cater to the consoles' specs.
    Not a problem at all, thanks for the URL link.

I would imagine the PC users are the smallest userbase now as we've buggered off after being used as guinea pigs by DTG's management to see if the game worked alright on console, which is where the market place is now in numbers and poor little gamers who don't know the business background of DTG who will be fleeced and find out the game is all about payware DLC, full of bugs, massive restricted gameplay and not a train simulator as such, let 'em get on with it.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 06-12-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

He is also Captain Failure, Vern.

Steady now Steve you will burst a blood vessel.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    ......I would imagine the PC users are the smallest userbase now......
    PC gamers are the smallest user-base of games, period.

The "Me" generation do not buy desktop PCs; the vast majority of PC sales are laptops and even their numbers are declining as the population which saw the rise of the PC - that's us - grows older.

It is a fact that, just like watch sales have declined as communications technology has changed, those younger than us are using their mobile phones as their portable information centres and the console has become the gaming appliance.

So we can sit around and moan 'n' groan about the change until the cows come home but nothing will alter the fact the we - and our computers - have become the minority and no business which relies on mass sales to exist and to keep shareholders happy is going to heed our whinges.

And that is why we have to support the independents.....the smaller studios and the one-man bands. If we don't then legitimate train/rail simulations will disappear and we will be left with nothing but arcade-quality games for consoles.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I watched Alan Thomson's take on TSW2 on You Tube last night ....
    I cannot stand these types of videos where the person providing the commentary has to include a pic-in-pic of themselves. In many cases just listening to their voice is bad enough - they certainly shouldn't ever give up their day jobs!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Two good posts there Bruce, i concur with your views in both.

Mike.

Are we talking about Colonel Failure? He is a huge youtuber I subscribe to and loves Transport Fever and other train games. BTW he thinks TSW is the best train simulator out there. I told him there is more than eye candy but goes to show that all that matters for many.

Thanks

Sean

Here is the thing. If I had the ability 10 years ago I would of built a Train Simulator. Unfortunately the only ability I had was very old and my skills were not upgraded. That last programming job I had was over 20 years ago. When I was a teenager I was on top of the technology programming machine language for a Commodore 64. I had the BBS systems, I even helped program them. I have CTC machines in Commodore Basic.

In grade 12 I had a co-op with Cyanimid (which became CyTech). I got to learn what was then a 4th generation language that used data dictionaries. I managed to get a summer job and honestly did not want to go to college. I knew I could get more experience and be at the top of the technology curve, but my dad was against it. Instead I went to college for 4 years and worked where my dad worked digging trenches in the electrical department. Other years I did a bit of store work etc. and it paid good but it wasn't my career.

What I was learning was not as advanced as I had already used that summer. In fact the 1st year was all about different business courses until I could get into more detailed stuff with computers. They seemed behind the curve not ahead of it. But one thing I apparently "learned" was that to get into most companies you start as a data entry clerk, than a computer operator first and that often gets you into the IT department to become a systems analyst or programmer.

Well that may have worked before, but times changed. I worked several years in data entry with temp, and eventually became a computer operator. I tried to get into the IT department there but nothing was happening. Eventually that computer operator position got phased out as more PC's were replacing the mini systems that were the old servers. I wound up taking jobs in warehouses or whatever I could do because I had lost my edge and I never really got it back. Today I'm a shipper receiver in a job I really enjoy but this was not the career I planned on 30 years ago.

So back full circle to my point, there are people out there who love trains who have the talent, and yes still have PC's. But just because a small company put a product out doesn't mean you have to support them either. There will always be a market for PC's and another way to take advantage of them. Yes we are the minority, and heck if you look at the hobby of railroading either model or sim, I'm a minority. There are so many facets to this hobby. Some like operations, some like building, some like the eye candy, some just want to play with trains who knows. I believe I'm a minority within a minority. But as much as I wish I had the talent, I don't and I certainly no longer have the massive amount of time I once did.

So I pick my battles, and yes sometimes it might mean choosing a bigger company over a smaller fish. But as long as that bigger fish is willing to keep the program open for manipulation. This fossil of a programmer will still have a way to use what talent I do have and make a difference.

I'm having a live stream this weekend on beta testing a new product coming out For Trainz, and I'm excited. What's cool about it is I don't have to sign any NDA or be told I'm still under one years later The guy knows I'm going to live stream it and he wants the exposure so it's a win win.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Are we talking about Colonel Failure?....
    I am referring to anyone who thinks that their video (no matter what the game may be that they are previewing or reviewing) is enhanced by the inclusion of a mini-video of them rabbiting on.

They are under the impression that we are interested in their body language and facial contortions when nothing could be further from the truth.
    I am not impressed by some bearded wombat lounging back in his scruffy T-shirt as he offers subjective comments on a computer game.

It's an ego thing - vanity.

They're all the same Bruce, Alan Thomson, Matt Peddlesden, Colonel Failure, Adam Lucas and the others associated with DTG, want their viewers/fanbase to see the face behind the voice, so, that they can interact with one another and it makes the fanboys think they're ''talking'' to a friend, it gets very nauseating. Maybe us oldies can't understand this new way of communicating, that's why we have to have screens on our iPhones now to see who it is on the other end of the line as we've probably forgotten what they look like even though we only spoke to them 2 day's ago, it's highly comical......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.