Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Automatic Switching to Cabview When Train Enters Tunnels?

Question Stop Automatic Switching to Cabview When Train Enters Tunnels?

Is there a way to stop MSTS and OR from automatically switching to cabview whenever a train enters a tunnel?

One could still be in trackside view watching the train pass by, but before the entire train has passed, the view switches to cabview as soon as the train enters a tunnel. This can be annoying!

So is there an option to override this "automatic switching" from trackside view to cabview (when trains enter tunnels)!??

Try the " Home" key for outside view.

AJ

Thanks, but that is just the "headout" view from the cab, and now within tunnels.

What I would prefer is that while in trackview ("4" key), I would like to see the entire train pass by without interruption whenever the train enters tunnels.

Hit the 8 key.
    It lets you look around while you're waiting for the train to pass.

Randy

Thanks.

The "8" key locks the present trackside view, so when the train enters any tunnels, the view doesn't automatically switch to cabview! So it is possible to see the entire train go past without interruption.

The negative to using the "8" key, is that it will show the current view long after the train has passed by, there will not be any automatic switching to any other view (after the train has passed by).

Also, for every tunnel the train has to run through, the trackside view ("4" key) has to be selected before the train enters tunnels, and then the "8" key selected to lock the trackside view so that there will be no automatic switching to cabview when the train enters the tunnels. This could be a nuisance for routes that have many tunnels. But is not really an issue for routes with no more than a few tunnels.

It would be useful to have an option in OR (and MSTS also?), to have the automatic switching to cabview disabled for trains when entering tunnels. It could save a lot of key presses.

There are lots of things that never made into the retail release of MSTS. The Bin patch of many years ago addressed some of the shortcomings. Then development started on ORTS. The original aim was to have an open source trainsim That went further than MSTS. In the beginning it was decided to use MSTS assets as a stopgap until new formats were developed and assets made in this new format. Over time this morphed into a replacement base system for running MSTS, and the things missing from MSTS were slowly added to the point where ORTS makes MSTS look as old as it really is.

This possibility to have the view 4 remain in place when the train enters a tunnel will never be part of MSTS, but it is possible to make it in ORTS. Just needs the addition of a card to the ORTS Trello board and the goodwill of somebody in the team to write the code for it. It may or may not happen, depends on if someone wants to spend time on it. I suggest you head on over to Elvas Tower and join the site. It has an active ORTS presence and is where most of the dev team hang out.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Why on earth would you want a 4 cam view in a tunnel? From the cab view hitting 4 as the end approaches will give you a 4 cam view of the train leaving the tunnel anyway. You may have to hit it again if the train is still in the tunnel. Since BIN you've been able to maintain Headout views in the tunnel in MSTS anyway. Perhaps I don't really understand what the problem is? Surely you swap Cams all the time as you drive? Folk who only want to be in the driver seat don't want any outside cams so they'll not have a problem. I must be missing something??
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Far as I can make out, the idea is to watch the train disappear into the tunnel, not be dumped into the cab as the engine enters.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Far as I can make out, the idea is to watch the train disappear into the tunnel, not be dumped into the cab as the engine enters.
    In OR that can be achieved with the 8 key + direction keys? IF it's just for a screengrab? ...err stop the train in the tunnel entrance??? Of course you can ride through tunnels in passenger view with no change anyway.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Correct!

The idea is to watch the entire train pass by (not inside a tunnel) and continue to view the remaining train even when the train begins to enter tunnels.

Yes, this can be done by pressing the "4" key, then the "8" key to "lock" the view. This will stop the view switching to cab views whenever trains begin to enter tunnels. The only difficulty might be in the case of routes with multiple tunnels where multiple 4 and 8 key presses will be required to prevent views switching from trackside to cab whenever trains enter tunnels. In this case it would be more convenient to have an automatic option to prevent views switching from trackside to cab on trains entering tunnels.