Thread: TGATool2 not functioning

Question TGATool2 not functioning

So, when I try to convert .tga to .ace this doesn't work. It worked once, but since then always failed to do something. Am I doing something wrong here: To open a file I press Open and select the .tga I need. Then I click export and press .ace (Alpha) And save. However nothing gets saved. Does anyone know why? And oh, yes, MSTS is not in the folder it was when installing, I've moved it
    Last edited by Pascal Good; 06-10-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Thats why... you moved the location of the external tool that TGAtools relies on to perform the conversion to MSTS format. You likely need to open your PREFS menu and have TGAtools "locate AceIt" again.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I relocated it and it's still not working

Maybe you are missing a step.

Open AceIt,

Input File> Select the file you want to make an Ace file,

Output File> Change this to the same name as your Input File name,

Format: RGB opaque for solids, 1 bit alpha for something with a clear area, 8 bit alpha for something with a semi-clear area.

Hit the AceIt button.

Hit OK.

I then go into the Output folder and move the Ace file to the desktop. After that I move the Ace file to the folder of whatever object I made it for.

You also have to select the material that you are making the ace file for. For me, that would be in TS Modeler where I drew the object and I would have had to have change to polygon to Trans Norm or it will always be a Solid.

Paul :-)

TGATool2a automatically calls Aceit when doing the conversion, so no need for the manual method, normally. Should make zero difference if MSTS was moved as Aceit resides in its own folder, or should do, outside of MSTS.

I would go for a fresh download of aceit from the library here which includes TGATool2a and reinstall.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

If you moved the utils folder that's part of MSTS you'll need t put it back. Aceit and Tgatools needs ffeditc_unicode.exe that's in that folder, in that location.

Randy

After I did a fresh install (following a similar problem) I started using the aceit function of right clicking on a .tga file and choosing "open with" .. acit. It makes an .ace file on the spot without needing to open .tgatool. And the .ace file it creates is compressed and takes less disk space. Improved my workflow a great deal. (Credit Dave Nelson for this).
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    After I did a fresh install (following a similar problem) I started using the aceit function of right clicking on a .tga file and choosing "open with" .. acit. It makes an .ace file on the spot without needing to open .tgatool. And the .ace file it creates is compressed and takes less disk space. Improved my workflow a great deal. (Credit Dave Nelson for this).
    Christopher
    So when I do this I get a short flash on my screen and nothing more
    And oh, yeah, AceIt is named MakeAce. Do I have the wrong version?

I now have AceIt, and it always reads an error message: "Unable to creat Direct3D device"