Thread: NAVS OR stock, A few issues.

Default NAVS OR stock, A few issues.

So having bought Mullens Pass, my first OR only purchase, I thought I'd look at the NAVS stuff because firstly it was recommended as a way to get my head round adding stock to OR and second it comes with Paint Kits and a "fill your boots" attitude to freeware skins. A challenge because I've not tried any DDS stuff yet.

Great models, and SOO is an interesting road, but not one of my collected ones.

The only real nagging issue for me is that although the 3D cabs are excellent there seems to be no "Head Out" view possible with the 7/Home and 1/End keys? Also I couldn't get the reversal of the seat in the Caboose Cupola to work? I must be missing something?

I'm also a little surprised, being as I've come late to these models that there are no reskins out there yet? A couple of useful little programmes bmp2dds & dds2bmp have allowed me to grab all the box car dds's as bmp's but the box cars are all newer than stuff I've been researching for reskins so far so a bit more research needed before I have a crack at those.

BTW Eric some earlier types of 50' boxcars with roof walks and different skirts would make a lot of projects I've been looking to do a lot easier. Also some Cushion Car chassis would be good?

First things first? Headout views issue?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    So having bought Mullens Pass, my first OR only purchase, I thought I'd look at the NAVS stuff because firstly it was recommended as a way to get my head round adding stock to OR and second it comes with Paint Kits and a "fill your boots" attitude to freeware skins. A challenge because I've not tried any DDS stuff yet.

Great models, and SOO is an interesting road, but not one of my collected ones.

The only real nagging issue for me is that although the 3D cabs are excellent there seems to be no "Head Out" view possible with the 7/Home and 1/End keys? Also I couldn't get the reversal of the seat in the Caboose Cupola to work? I must be missing something?

I'm also a little surprised, being as I've come late to these models that there are no reskins out there yet? A couple of useful little programmes bmp2dds & dds2bmp have allowed me to grab all the box car dds's as bmp's but the box cars are all newer than stuff I've been researching for reskins so far so a bit more research needed before I have a crack at those.

BTW Eric some earlier types of 50' boxcars with roof walks and different skirts would make a lot of projects I've been looking to do a lot easier. Also some Cushion Car chassis would be good?

First things first? Headout views issue?
    Geoff,

I beta tested the Dekosoft units with 3dCabs. Remembered that they had Head out capability. Just ran one again to verify what I remembered. CTRL+ 1 to 3dCab then ALT+ right -> (right arrow cursor movement key) and ALT+left-> to return head. Once out left and right cursor movement key turns head. One reason this works on the Dekosoft models is that the cabview shape file in the CABVIEW3D folder is a complete loco body skinned both outside and inside. This allows the used to move the engineer's head out, rotate the view 180 degrees to look to the rear and the view looks down the right side of the body of the loco.

Look at the NAVS' CABVIEW3D\(lococab).s file and see if it is the same as the Dekosoft shape. If not, getting a Headout view will not be realistic. By not realistic. Here is what a Headout view to the rear from the 3dCab of 3dTrains Funit ATSF 300 looks like:
    3dt3dcabHO.jpg
    Charles

I know that Rick (of the Monon route) has been working a porting a number of the 40' boxcars over the NAVS model. I have a project in mind for them too and further down the list (far down the list) some reskins of the 50' rib side cars.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Geoff,

I beta tested the Dekosoft units with 3dCabs. Remembered that they had Head out capability. Just ran one again to verify what I remembered. CTRL+ 1 to 3dCab then ALT+ right -> (right arrow cursor movement key) and ALT+left-> to return head. Once out left and right cursor movement key turns head. One reason this works on the Dekosoft models is that the cabview shape file in the CABVIEW3D folder is a complete loco body skinned both outside and inside. This allows the used to move the engineer's head out, rotate the view 180 degrees to look to the rear and the view looks down the right side of the body of the loco.

Look at the NAVS' CABVIEW3D\(lococab).s file and see if it is the same as the Dekosoft shape. If not, getting a Headout view will not be realistic. By not realistic. Here is what a Headout view to the rear from the 3dCab of 3dTrains Funit ATSF 300 looks like:
    3dt3dcabHO.jpg
    Thanks Charles,

I'll have a play around with some more key combinations when I get the real life stuff done. I managed to shift myself right out of the 3D cab backward hitting a combination of keys by mistake. Now that means I ought (?) to be able to move about inside the cab? Even sit in the conductors seat or outside the cab door. I'll have a play and get some screen grabs.
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I know that Rick (of the Monon route) has been working a porting a number of the 40' boxcars over the NAVS model. I have a project in mind for them too and further down the list (far down the list) some reskins of the 50' rib side cars.
    Christopher
    Good news Chris . I've yet to try and reverse a skin from bmp to dds using the utilities above but the dds to bmp is a beautiful example of simplicity that is fast too.
    Geoff
    UK

Yep! Charles post is dead right. Obviously most reading this will be "fully paid up" OR supporters but there are still those reluctant to try it.

As Much for THEIR benefit as preaching to the converted I had a play and annotated some screen shots to show how I achieved them.

BTW although I didn't take any "Headout" shots this viewpoint is easily achieved juts using the Alt + 6 (right) or 4 (left) keys.

So with the NAVS GP7 3D cab here's where you can place the "driver" viewpoint.

Don't forget that the Mouse wheel alters the angle of view and RIGHT click allows complete rotation in all directions.

CLICK TO ENLARGE : I think they're self explanatory?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geoff
    UK

WE can go even further but if you want the "Driver Simulation" of TSW feel free to pay for that?! LOL!

What these do show is that you cannot use a viewpoint from the cabview outside of and below the walkway that looks forward.

Ground Level Look Back.jpg

Ground Level Look FWD.jpg

...so you could simulate the view of the brakeman, hanging off the rear steps, backing the loco in a switching operation, but if he looks behind him he'll be surprised to find that Geeps have been upgraded to Hoverboards
    Geoff
    UK

Great series of screenshots Geoff, enlightening, I haven't played around much with the camera views in 3D cabs...nicely done! There has been so much advancement in so many aspects of OR ( say in the last three years ) that it is hard to keep up.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I would love to see NAVS kits of John Peterson and Ben Sigouin's centerflow hoppers and Jeff Auberpine's autoracks