Thread: Changing Names on Station & Siding markers

Default Changing Names on Station & Siding markers

Greetings, fellows. I have stumbled on a problem I don't know how to solve regarding a route.

I have the route "MOSCOW - KIEV v1.0" from the Russian website zdsim.com
    The route is very good, but ALL of the Station and Siding markers are in CYRILLIC, which becomes horrendous trying to run the route and translate to Engluish at the same time, as some things don't translate literally, or have different nomenclature in English.

I have opened up the route last night using the Goku TSRE5 program. The starting tiles are in the end of the route at Moscow-Kievaska station. I proceeded to working with the Platform markers, one by one, highlight one end until I get the box that shows the information regarding that marker (Station Name, Platform name, side, location, etc) in the left colum of the Route Editor.

I go ahead and translate the Platform name to English and replace the box information with Roman letters. After I do each marker, I then saved the work without closing out the route.

When I re-opened the route, went back to the same locations I just had changed, nothing was saved...all the names were still in Cyrillic????

Any idea from you good route builders what I am doing wrong or how to go about what I want to do correctly????

Any help is certainly appreciated........the Cyrillic doesn't bother me, navigating where I am in the route does. I only know 2 words in Cyrillic, at least one of which will prevent me from going hungry.

Thanks
    Doug

Happiness is when the AI-trains appear where you want them to

Might be better to post this in the dedicated TSRE subforum where Goku or someone else might spot it. This forum is more for the MSTS RE & general queries these days.

That said, if your feeling adventurous, open up the tdb & tit files in a text editor and manually change the names there. That will definitely get the change to stick

Keep in mind each platform has 2 entries (for the start and end point), so you will have to change both in sync

And also if you are using MSTS, the tit file needs to be updated. OR iinm reads everything off the tdb file itself

In the TSRE folder there should be a text file called "settings.txt". Open it and look for a line that says "writeTDB=" if it says "false" change it to "true", that should do it.

MARK

Thank you Joe and especially Mark.

I picked a couple of tracks in the "0" tile and changed them like I had done before. Now with the "write TDB" setting changed as you suggested.

Re-opening the TSRE program to where I made the changes NOW showed the station / track name in English as I had done.

The only thing about that choice in the Settings text was done as FALSE because I had a problem a couple of months back when placing static consists it would also destroy the route as it was re-writing the TDB which was really unwanted, so one member suggest I keep it on FALSE to prevent that.

This situation requires I just have to keep changing the setting every time I do this work on the route.....But it solved the problem.

Thank you Mark.
    Doug

Here's something that I've done when I wanted to change the place names in a route to names that I like:

Backup the TDB file. Then open the TDB file in a powerful text editor, like CONTEXT. Then use the search and replace feature to replace the strings for the station names. Super fast. If the process wrecks anything, just restore the backup.

Thanks "dcarleton"..............so far, I am using the first suggestion of opening the TDB and TIT files to manually change the station/siding names manually, as I have to do the entire route anyway.

The problem with your idea is the names are in Cyrillic, so I have NO idea what I would be searching for, as when I find a place manually in the two above files, I have to translate what it is to English first, then do the re-name.

Thank you again for your suggestion
    Doug

Your welcome Doug. I have had problems with TSRE and setting set to TRUE on a few routes where I had done something simple like change a few buildings and vegetation and when I tried to run the route in Open Rails it would crash with and error message about missing track pieces. I tried copying and pasting the Tsection.Dat from the original, unedited ( I keep a folder for backups of routes I like to modify in case of an accident) and that cured the problem. So as a rule I keep the setting at FALSE unless I am changing and industry or siding name.

MARK