Thread: Strange issue in PRR Eastern Region V2

Default Strange issue in PRR Eastern Region V2

I came across this when trying to create a new activity for a local commuter run from Manayunk to Philadelphia.

The correct order of stations on the branch is Ivy Ridge, Manayunk, Barmouth, Cynwyd, Bala, Wynnefield, 52nd street where it joins the mainline from Harrisburg. If you examine the route in the Route Viewer it appears correct.

However if I create a path from Manayunk to Philadelphia Suburban station, then go to TSRE and create a service using that path I get the following order of stations:
    Ivy Ridge (even though the path started at Manayunk)
    Manayunk
    Bala
    Barmouth
    Wynnefield
    Cynwyd
    52nd Street

What is interesting is that a path and service created in the opposite direction (to Manayunk) has the correct order of stations (52nd, Wynnefield, Bala etc.)

What would cause this? Is there some issue with the TDB that is causing services to get the wrong station names?
    I even deleted and re-created the path just in case I had done something wrong the first time, same result.

Needless to say this causes the activity to be unusable.

I also noticed that the OR log had 2 errors "platforms not found on route" for 18285 and 16998.

I don't have an MSTS installation so I can't verify whether MSTS AE does the same thing.

Moved to Open Rails... TSRE and environs.....
    Dave Edwards

I did an experiment this morning. I edited the test service file I had made and reversed 2 of the platformStartID's in the file. I then started up TSRE went to the activity editor and without selecting an activity opened the service editor and selected the service I had edited. The station names were still in the same incorrect order even though I had switched 2 of them. Which means that TSRE is not determining the order of stations using the service file but from somewhere else, presumably the path file in conjunction with the TDB. So something must be out of whack in one of those files. I would suspect the TDB since I had deleted and re-created the path file and every other path I have created seems to be OK, including the reverse of this path going from philly to manayunk.

I looked at the PRR-ER v2 in TrackViewer and noticed an anomaly between the Pennsy Manayunk and Ivy Ridge stations. As you increase the zoom level, suddenly the path between Manayunk and Ivy Ridge disappears. May be a clue as to why TSRE is getting confused. Also, the nearby RDG Ivy Ridge station may also factor in. I made a path from 52nd Street to Ivy Ridge, runs okay with no surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    I looked at the PRR-ER v2 in TrackViewer and noticed an anomaly between the Pennsy Manayunk and Ivy Ridge stations. As you increase the zoom level, suddenly the path between Manayunk and Ivy Ridge disappears. May be a clue as to why TSRE is getting confused. Also, the nearby RDG Ivy Ridge station may also factor in. I made a path from 52nd Street to Ivy Ridge, runs okay with no surprises.
    I note this trackviewer anomaly happend anywhere at a close in zoom on any route so it's not connected to your reported bug which probably is indeed a real bug with the platform markers.
    It's probably correctable with TSRE as I did literally hundreds of platform corrections all through the route in my rebuild.
    As you can see, I didn't get to do many of the branch line stations as I was more going for the correction of over a thousand TDB errors, missing signals, non-operational signals, piss-poor track alignment, the Zoo interlocking so obscure branch line station naming and so on I found too much to take in at one gulp.

You and anyone else are welcome to make changes and publish here on Trainsim.com any patches to correct the issue(s) as long as it does NOT impact any of the present release activities!
    IOW, patch but do not render any additional errors into the route.

Bad week for me. I had to euthanize a beloved dog ( a rescue) due to cancer, my faithful trusted companion for the last ten years. She passed in my arms in my back yard under her favorite shade tree with the vet in attendance.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    This happens when you zoom in and one end of the track section goes off the screen. Trackviewer can not draw the track section if one end is off screen as it has no end point for that vector. So there's nothing wrong with either the trackdata or the trackviewer.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

I would be willing to take on fixing the platforms on this branch, except that I haven't had experience yet on route editing with TSRE, plus when running TSRE on this route and accessing the main view such as adding static consists, my machine bogs down so badly that it is practically unusable and I have to exit and re-enter the program frequently. Appears to be a memory issue, I have 4 GB and it is an older machine. Unfortunately retired and on a fixed income I can;t justify an upgrade at this time.

Sorry for your loss, Vince. I've also lost a few old dogs, such wonderful creatures should have a longer lifespan. They leave a deep hurt, especially the "very special" ones. My "most favorite" companion died in my arms at 14 years 3 months of a heart attack. The hurt stays, but I focus on the wonderful time shared. She lives forever in my memory.

Thanks for the info on how TrackViewer behaves in Zoom-in. I've noticed this and wondered a bit.

Your improved PRR-ER v2 remains my favorite route.

Regards

Vince I'm also sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs can be special.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Bad week for me. I had to euthanize a beloved dog ( a rescue) due to cancer, my faithful trusted companion for the last ten years. She passed in my arms in my back yard under her favorite shade tree with the vet in attendance.
    regards,
    So So Sad to learn of your beloved child passing Vince. Know, she'll be waiting when the time comes.
    My 2 cats, Andy (female), Handsome, are indeed my family / children these later years.
    Again, I feel alongside you. Take Comfort!.